Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:27:53 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  NIN: Year Zero « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NIN: Year Zero  (Read 7698 times)
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« on: April 12, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »

Nine Inch Nails new release, "Year Zero" comes out this April 14th, but some tracks are available.   Anyone else heard it?   What do you think so far? 

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
TheSinisterQuinn
Dedicated Viewer

Fiend Extraordinaire

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 02:35:18 AM »

yeah, i heard it was coming out but have yet to preview it.

I preferred the more angst ridden industrial strength Trent vs. this other stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I still liked The Fragile and With Teeth and can appreciate that artists must "evolve" in order to survive long term in the music industry.... but those last two weren't exactly my cup of tea. From  the brutality of "Happiness in Slavery" to the poppyness"All the Love in the World"? *sigh* *double sigh*

I'll check it out and buy it to complete my Halo collection of course.

What did you think of his new stuff so far?
TheSinisterQuinn
Dedicated Viewer

Fiend Extraordinaire

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 02:36:31 AM »

What did you think of his new stuff so far?

Hahaha! Sorry for being redundant! on that note im off to go find out and answer your question.
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 12:25:50 PM »

Quinn:

Well, I've been a fan since I discovered Pretty Hate Machine back in '91 when I was about 17ish (yes I'm old) and I did prefer the heavier years of Broken and TDS but I do appreciate this newer evolved stuff, maybe because of the contrast.  I liked With Teeth a lot - better than the Fragile, but not as good as the first few.  I liked the Fragile, but I thought it could have had a lot of fat trimmed and I sure didn't care for the years that nothing happened at all lol.

As for this new album, it's a bit different than With Teeth.  I liked With Teeth, especially All the Love in the World and the title track, With Teeth, probably the most.  This new one is a lot more minimalist in comparison, IMO...and I must say I like it.  I like it a lot.

I haven't been able to stop listening to it - and, finally, after a long stretch of apathy towards music (at least new music) I find myself eager to listen to the album again.  It seems Trent is finally not whining so much in this one - not focusing as much on himself and his loathing, which I find a nice change.  This time his anger and focus seem to be on much more external elements.

I like the intro a lot, love the song that makes fun of W (and those like him), love the whole concept album of a cross between 1984 and Brave New World dystopia.  Some of the instrumentals are bad ass and I'm not sure how he made bell sounds work with the heavy industrial (he must be hangin out with Bjork heh).   And one song, track 5 I think, that's one song that makes me just wanna...ah nm.

Anyway, if you liked the old stuff, I'm thinking you'll like a few things on the album.  And on the other hand, if you didn't like All the Love in the World, there might be a song or two you're not that into, but with 16 tracks, there's enough to balance it out I think.

Ok sorry to go on about that - I don't really wanna bias or hype anything for fear of a natural let down, but suffice to say, it's better than the last two albums, musically and lyrically I think.

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
TheSinisterQuinn
Dedicated Viewer

Fiend Extraordinaire

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 03:35:07 PM »

don't  be sorry!

I found that to be a great read :-)  based on what I had read, I was hoping that it would be better (and more refined) than his previous two albums.
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 09:24:04 AM »

Thanks for reading :)  - you'll have to let me know what you think after you've heard it.  I'm still listening to it daily.

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 11:32:45 PM »

I've been a fan of Nine Inch Nails since Broken debuted.  I've horded every Halo and have not yet been disappointed.  I must say, I was a bit weary of this release though.  Something in Trent's description of it bothered me.  I think maybe I just wasn't ready for a full album so soon after With Teeth, let alone a conceptual, fictional post-apocalyptic wasteland album.  I was also a bit worried because he credited his productivity to a newfound sobriety.  And as we all know, rock and roll is a dish best served with gratuitous helpings of sex, drugs, and other self-destructive tendencies.

But I heard it in full at one of Interscope's listening parties and loved it.  'Course now that it is out, I bought the CD.

Musically, it is much grittier than I was expecting.  While it has some elements borrowed from The Fragile and With Teeth, it reminds me very much of the pre-Downward Spiral recordings.  In other words, it seems truer to the industrial genre, less polished, less radio friendly.  Though to be fair, the vocals do strike me as pop-catchy on occasion.

But what really intrigues me about Year Zero is that this album seems to stand alone in that it is story-based rather than emotion-based (well, arguably Pretty Hate Machine has no direction at all, but it's still great).  Broken/Fixed seem to have a theme of sexual frustration and power, Downward Spiral seems to cover the rage of drug abuse and fame, The Fragile seems to cover the depression of the same drug abuse and fame, and With Teeth seems to encompass the fear, disappointment, and frustration over the people for and against the war in Iraq.  YZ on the other hand, is about a world in decline.  It features a few songs from 3rd person perspectives to push along the narrative, but everything else is "told" from the point of view of an involved party.  These include politicians, clergymen, businessmen, soldiers.  And moreover, it was very well done.  I think this is possibly the best-written album of his career.

On a totally unrelated note, have any of you heard the Purest Feeling demo tapes that preceded Pretty Hate Machine?  THAT is an utterly surreal experience.  The beats remind me of a mix between Blondie's keytar and the MIDI music in Sonic the Hedgehog.  If things played out just a little differently, NIN music would play perfectly on the soundtrack of 1980s John Hughes movies.  Haha.

++josh;
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  NIN: Year Zero « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.