Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:51:03 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Shock Treatment « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shock Treatment  (Read 26352 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: April 14, 2007, 06:47:34 AM »

This is the (also) musical sequel to "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."  Brad and Janet appear on a reality TV show that threatens to commit him and corrupt her.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
quabrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 04:27:52 PM »

I love Shock Treatment.  Tonight, when I go to see Rocky Horror Picture Show, as a I frequently do Saturday nights, I will most likely get into yet another argument witht he Rocky fans who don't appreciate it.  It happens every week.

My favorite was when a guy compared changing the cast to Robin Williams' absence in Return of Jafar.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 08:18:14 PM »

I love Shock Treatment.  Tonight, when I go to see Rocky Horror Picture Show, as a I frequently do Saturday nights, I will most likely get into yet another argument witht he Rocky fans who don't appreciate it.  It happens every week.

My favorite was when a guy compared changing the cast to Robin Williams' absence in Return of Jafar.

I can easily understand how the movie could hit all the right points and be a classic to someone else, but it did not entertain me.  It did get better after repeat viewings, but never really clicked for me.

I have, gratefully, never seen "Return of Jafar."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 02:38:25 AM »

You Know, I was reading somewhere that the plot was supposed to be totally different, but since tim curry wasnt coming back, they took the songs they had written for it and made Shock Treatment. The article I read explained the orignal story (which featured the return of Frank-n-furter).  Check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Horror_Shows_His_Heels
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 02:42:59 AM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
DwightFry
New Visitor

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 06:38:37 PM »

I love The Rocky Horror Picture Show, but Shock Treatment is insufferable. And I think I know the reasons: when RHPS was made, no one expected the audience participation cult that would arise. This one was made after that fact, and they tried to intentionally make a movie that would repeat that phenomenon. So, ST was designed to have audience participation, that is, leaving blank spaces for the public to insert their wisecracks, and keeping plot to a historical minimum. The resulting stinker only proves that you just can't manufacture a cult movie.
roadgoon
New Visitor

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 11:32:53 AM »

I like the opening of Shock treatment where evryone sings Denton and Brad is commited on T.V.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 03:31:46 AM »

I've wondered about the film, but have never been interested enough to check it out.  I really enjoy Rocky Horror
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 11:19:56 AM »

I love The Rocky Horror Picture Show, but Shock Treatment is insufferable. And I think I know the reasons: when RHPS was made, no one expected the audience participation cult that would arise. This one was made after that fact, and they tried to intentionally make a movie that would repeat that phenomenon. So, ST was designed to have audience participation, that is, leaving blank spaces for the public to insert their wisecracks, and keeping plot to a historical minimum. The resulting stinker only proves that you just can't manufacture a cult movie.
My thoughts exactly.  Love or hate The Rocky Horror Picture Show you have to admit it has a genuine effort to entertain behind it, and the cult status it achieved and the audience participation was completely unexpected.  Shock Treatment comes across as having been concocted by a couple guys at  a card table saying, "and when this happens in the movie, the audience can do this, and then when this happens, they can do this."  ALthough it's been about 12 years since I last saw RHPS, certain scenes stand out, many tunes stay with me, and I still get the urge to throw a roll of toilet paper when somebody says "Great Scott!"  Nothing with Shock Treatment--just plain awful (sorry, quabrot).

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
george
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 12:42:06 PM »

Say what you will, I think this flick is pretty awesome. I first saw it in 1988 and hated it, but subsequent viewings made me appreciate the movie. It's interesting how Richard O'Brien prefigured the whole reality as entertainment movement of the new millenium. The songs, while not as memorable as the ones in RHPS, are still good.  "b***hin' In The Kitchen", "Me Of Me", "Look What I Did To My Id" and , of course, the title track, "Shock Treatment" are the best". Overall, ST is alot of fun if you give it a chance. The best way to view this flick is just to sit back and let it happen.
Steve
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 10:46:24 PM »

While I'm also a major, major Rocky Horror fan, I *love* Shock Treatment!  It's nowhere near as bad as you make it sound.  It just tends to throw people off that it's a totally different style of movie than RHPS, but that's not necessarily a bad thing; it's its own unique entity.

And it's damn fun to see in a theatre full of other ST fans too! :-)
Kathy
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 11:39:22 AM »

I think that all of the problems with this film is studio involvement - as someone said before - trying to manufacture a cult film. 

Did you know that the studio released it for midnight showings only from day one and hired people to act it out in the theater a la Rocky Horror.....like they were priming the pump, so to speak?

But I think that under all the extra songs and crap that the studio pushed for, Richard O'Brien created a new Network.  Only this time for reality TV of today.  Television (owned and overseen by the big-business "monopoly" that is Farley)  manages to talk the entire population of Denton into voluntarily committing themselves to an institution run by a quack.  Only the "weird" people see through it and escape.

Look at all of the shows we have now of people being filmed 24/7 and people being "psychoanalyzed" over the air (from Oprah with her new age stuff to Dr. Phil...who I think has his Doctorate in Physical Education...or maybe that's Dr. Laura) and then go back and look at this movie again.  O'Brien was ahead of his time, IMHO.

Then again, maybe that's why the studio screwed with it....to keep that message from getting out.
the_voice_of_reason
New Visitor

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 02:52:07 PM »

It went against my better judgement to watch this 'film' but I was persuaded. I watched in anticipation of something which could pass as a storyline or even the remote signs of talent, but instead I was subjected to a barrage of half witted 'actors' try to further their careers and getting it so so wrong I felt embarrassed for them. Maybe it was this title that coined the phrase 'straight to video'
For those who call this 'a cult film' I think you need to learn to spell...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 12:42:49 PM »

I was a major "Rocky" geek in college but I've only seen "Shock Treatment" once and that was YEARS ago. I vaguely remember enjoying it to some degree but being disappointed that "Brad" and "Janet" were played by different actors. The only cast member I recognized was Richard O'Brien.

I've often thought about revisiting it one of these days but have never gotten around to it.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »

It's not great, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as the haters say. It's confusing, has obvious script problems, and tries to throw too many characters trying way too hard to be quirky at you. But, it's never boring, which counts for something. I didn't hate it but I doubt I'll be popping it in the DVD player again.

Richard O'Brien, on the other hand, basically disowned the movie and wants nothing to do with it. He even refused to be interviewed for the DVD featurette.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Shock Treatment « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.