Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:28:35 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Massacre in Blacksburg « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Massacre in Blacksburg  (Read 25883 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 07:46:40 AM »

Yet out of tragedies like this always come the stories of heroism and the essence of the true human spirit. Let us for a moment try to the find positive in an extremely ugly circumstance.  I heard this story second-hand, so if I am light on the facts, please excuse that.  It is the spirit and honor of the story that is my point.

I have heard that one of the teachers stood at his door, blocking it, while his students escaped.  The gunman fired repeatedly into the door, either just to get it open or to try to remove the human obstacle.  In either case, the teacher suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was, sadly, mortally wounded.  His studend survived.

It's the stories like these that I look for when something like this happened.  The news media won't tell a lot of them or focus on them because they make their money on fear (me, a cynic??).  But that's the real point.  Sure, there are d*ck^%ds in the world that try to make the place suck.  But for each one of them, there are as many (or more) willing to sacrifice their own lives for others.

That's balls, my friends.  Let us not forget them my giving all of our attention on the jerks.  Raise a glass to all the heros, everyday ones or extraordinary ones.   Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
raj

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 08:58:14 AM »

Ulthar, that professor was Liviu Librescu, who was a survivor of the Holocaust, and ironically killed on Holocaust Remembrance Day.
Him
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 09:23:02 AM »

Last night, I went over to a friend's house for a club meeting, and the subject of the massacre came up. We ended up finding and reading one of the guy's plays on the internet; it was called "Richard McBeefy" or something like that...not only was it completely deranged, but it was even a poor exercise in craft

You mean like the movies people on this board enjoy?
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 11:46:12 AM »

Naturally, a number of things bug me as a result of this, so many, that I can't seem to get them organized in my head.

I'll start with this:
One of the things that bugs me, is that this is going to get more attention & discussion than the Harvey Family murders.

No excuses, just evil, which I guess people don't find all that interesting.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 11:56:02 AM »

It's also troublesome that the evil jerk who choose to do this is getting more attention than the people he shot.  I don't agree with all the media outlets giving his writing and his little video clips all the time and attention they are, I think it just encourages more idiots to act out this way.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Raffine

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 12:00:05 PM »

It's also troublesome that the evil jerk who choose to do this is getting more attention than the people he shot.  I don't agree with all the media outlets giving his writing and his little video clips all the time and attention they are, I think it just encourages more idiots to act out this way.

I was very impressed with a child psychologist on Good Morning America this morning who made that exact point. He started his interview by asking media outlets to stop playing this garbage on an endless loop. Diane Sawyer was not amused...

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 12:02:52 PM »

This report troubled me too:

http://www.wired.com/culture/education/news/2007/04/vt_domainname/

It is in nearly the same vein as those who saw the Katrina catastrophe as a way to earn fraudulent money.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Viktorcrayon
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 01:56:47 PM »

Really tragic. Not much more i have to say about it.

A big karma point for Ulthars post tho.
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2007, 03:00:30 PM »

Another question:
How long before the jaded execs in Hollywood turn the reins to someone to make a big budget movie of this?

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2007, 09:07:33 PM »

Hey, since they made a movie about 9/11 it probably won't be long. (I don't mean to insult anyone who liked this movie but it was too soon to make a movie like that.)
If it wasn't for the fact that I know people like that teacher exsist I would have lost faith in mankind years ago.
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2007, 09:53:16 PM »

Last night, I went over to a friend's house for a club meeting, and the subject of the massacre came up. We ended up finding and reading one of the guy's plays on the internet; it was called "Richard McBeefy" or something like that...not only was it completely deranged, but it was even a poor exercise in craft

You mean like the movies people on this board enjoy?

No, nothing like that...this was just messed up. The club was a writer's workshop, and our morbid curiosity drove us to see what someone like that would write about. Part of it didnt even make sense, except maybe in the guy's head.

Ulthar's post reminded me of something that happened at Columbine. One of the shooters cornered a girl, and, I guess, to make himself sound tough, asked the girl if she believed in God. She said yes, despite having a gun pointed at her, and was shot to death. Now, I'm not mister religious or anything, and it might not count for heroism in the traditional sense, but it takes some brass balls to stand up for your beliefs like that. That always stuck with me. What happened to the teacher was awful, but, in the end, he did prove himself a hero.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 10:05:59 PM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 12:48:55 AM »

I have a headache.
Today, a kid got kicked out of school for wearing a t-shirt calling What's-his-name a hero.

Anybody remember those "Virginia is for snipers" t-shirts?
And I'll bet there's still somebody out there making money off those t-shirts with a picture of Charles Manson on them.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 06:38:09 AM »

It's all very sad...and unfourtantlly,it will never go away. "Can't something be done? Shouldn't we ban guns? Or arm people? Or try to second guess and lock the nuts up? Or...or...or...?" Nothing is new about all this,just the media 's ability to oversaturate our minds with paranoia,making us either scared silly into buying weapons,or numbing us into apathy. Turn it off

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2007, 07:39:14 AM »

I've been reading the mainstream news accounts of what people in other countries are saying about this, and they really do seem to believe that we all go about heavily armed here and you can find shootouts in any given city on a daily basis.  Then you've got the conspiracy theorists (and that makes up a lot of my email contacts) telling everyone this was some kind of psi-op to create an atmosphere where we'll all be willing to ban guns so this won't happen again........Why can't people just accept that some people are evil, and blame the shooter instead of the gun? 

I agree with RCMerchant, just turn it off.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
dean

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2007, 09:18:02 AM »

I don't know about others, but coming from a country with fairly strict gun laws [compared to the US] it does seem like it's out of control.  I mean, we have a mass killing here at Port Arthur which prompts a very big crackdown on what types of guns can be sold etc.  There's a mass killing in the States and nothing seemingly happens to prevent these things.  It's almost like nobody is learning.

I mean, it just seems ridiculous to me, that as soon as these things happen that gun lobbyists were saying that 'if everyone had a gun, then this wouldn't have happened'.  Makes you angry to think that there's so many security crackdowns in so many areas to prevent things like terrorism, and all this talk of pre-emptive strikes, and preparedness etc. yet a person can apparently go up to a counter and buy an assault rifle with almost no hassle.  Sure 90% of gun owners may do the right thing, but I suppose it's a matter of wieghing up if that 10% gap is worth the worry.

I think.  Sure, I may be getting facts mixed up but the point still stands.  Sure some people are evil, some aren't, I'm just sick of all the policital rhetoric and bullocky around it all.  Either do something about it, or quit complaining.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Massacre in Blacksburg « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.