Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:14:54 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  28 Weeks Later « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 28 Weeks Later  (Read 13091 times)
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« on: April 17, 2007, 08:06:13 PM »

Anyone else looking forward to this one?  I'm hoping to actually get to see this in the theaters, but since the only movies I've made it to lately are all kid flicks, I doubt it will happen.

The website has some good stuff, like a trailer, some raw footage that's really good, and a contest....whoever writes the best short story gets a copy of the graphic novel related to the movie, and you get your story made into a short video clip.  I'm hoping to at least make the top 10 with what I wrote. 

http://www.foxatomic.com/#home

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 10:15:26 PM »

Always looking forward to the latest Zombie film. Hopefully its better than the original. The original wasn't bad, but for some reason I didn't like it.

rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 10:23:13 PM »

i'm not sure how they will work this movie in, as things were pretty tied up as the end of the movie.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 01:15:31 PM »

i'm not sure how they will work this movie in, as things were pretty tied up as the end of the movie.

As I understand, the people who survived by fleeing the island start coming back, thinking everything is now okay, after so much time has passed, but things are not okay, as the people who return soon discover.

As this is a sequel, I think it is somewhat hurt by having been done before, but--unlike most sequels--I do plan on seeing it, if it opens in my local area.
StackAttack
Dedicated Viewer

I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 09:51:43 AM »

i didnt like the first movie but since this one looks to promise actual production values i might give it a look.
Torgo

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 05:08:43 PM »

28 weeks later is what it felt like when I walked out of the theater showing of 28 Days Later that I got dragged to.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 05:19:52 PM »

I may be in the minority on this (and probably am) but I loved 28 Days Later.  I felt it to be a depressing, sad film that took a realistic view of what a world with this type of disease would be like.  I love the fact that it was shot on hand held DV cams as well since it gives the film a grittiness and doesn't look nearly as polished as most horror films.

The ending is the only thing I dislike about the film.  If you watch the DVD there is an alternate ending where Jim dies after being shot.  Then, there is also a much better and fleshed out ending that is shown via storyboards which is by far my favorite. 

Anyway....

I liked the original and thought it would be the only film in the series.  Apparently not.  I hated the idea of "28 Weeks Later".  I actually thought it was a joke when I first heard the title.  Not only that, but it's from Fox Atomic who seem to be trying to cash in on more profitable Fox horror flicks.

But, I saw the trailer before Vacancy this previous weekend.  It was shown on a new DLP projector in HD, and I must say that I got goosebumps.  It looks to be much more of an actioner than the original, but I don't care.  I hope to see this one when it is released.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 03:15:20 PM »

I finally saw the trailer as well. Just going by the trailer, not impressed. It suffers from what I like to call sequelitis. That is it treads over much the same ground that the original, "28 Days Later," treaded over. Still, I'll probably make an effort to see it.
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 05:49:43 PM »

I may be in the minority on this (and probably am) but I loved 28 Days Later.  I felt it to be a depressing, sad film that took a realistic view of what a world with this type of disease would be like.  I love the fact that it was shot on hand held DV cams as well since it gives the film a grittiness and doesn't look nearly as polished as most horror films.

The ending is the only thing I dislike about the film.  If you watch the DVD there is an alternate ending where Jim dies after being shot.  Then, there is also a much better and fleshed out ending that is shown via storyboards which is by far my favorite. 

Anyway....

I liked the original and thought it would be the only film in the series.  Apparently not.  I hated the idea of "28 Weeks Later".  I actually thought it was a joke when I first heard the title.  Not only that, but it's from Fox Atomic who seem to be trying to cash in on more profitable Fox horror flicks.

But, I saw the trailer before Vacancy this previous weekend.  It was shown on a new DLP projector in HD, and I must say that I got goosebumps.  It looks to be much more of an actioner than the original, but I don't care.  I hope to see this one when it is released.

I really enjoyed the first one too, I thought it was a refreshing take on most horror and sci-fi in that the zombies/infected weren't slow-moving and clueless like in other flicks.  The premise wasn't original, but it was solid (except I never quite understood how the guy would have survived in a coma is everyone around him had left, I mean IVs don't refill themselves!).  The sequel does look to be more of an action flick, but that was probably the safest route for the producers.  This way they don't have to return to any surviving characters. 

Oh, btw, I preferred the alternate ending too, it made more sense.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
StackAttack
Dedicated Viewer

I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 08:59:00 AM »

snivelly, if you like the idea of zombies who arent slow or stupid you should check out Return Of The Living Dead. its a great ghoul movie where the dead could run as fast as a normal human being and they were intelligent enough to lure more victims to them. its great. as for 28 Days Later i couldnt get past the cheap camera work. i dont like the way digital cameras look compared to film whether theyre trying to be gritty or just save money it bothers me. also i didnt like the ending or the beginning when the coma guy wanders into the city and its empty. why were the zombies all hanging around inside? if theyre supposed to be like rabid animals and filled with rage then why would they do something as docile as just hanging around indoors all day doing nothing? even if you could say they were resting how does that explain that a whole city of them was all doing it at the same time?! there were other problems i had with it but its been so long since it disappointed me that i cant even recall them at this point. maybe the sequel will be better or maybe it wont but i wont know until it comes to netflix.
Pilgermann

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 01:00:04 PM »

Ugh, this thread needs to be moved to the Bad Movies section.  I watched this last night and it's not nearly as good as the first film.  I'm not a huge fan of 28 Days Later but I thought it was a pretty well made horror film.  28 Weeks Later is hardly scary, and it has little of interest to say.  The opening sequence is pretty well done, but it's downhill from there.  Most of the scares are the generic "boo!" kind that you can see coming.  There's too much of an attempt to make it look gritty like the first film, but this translates to lots of shaky and disorienting camera work during many of the attack scenes.  It felt less like a horror film and more like an action film. 

KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 09:22:47 PM »

Im not sure if this belongs in the bad or good movies section, but i just wanted to talk about it cuz it looks super-rad. I havent even seen the first one, actually, but Ive heard nothing but good things about it. Ill probobly go watch it before i see 28 WEEKS. Add this one to the list of amazing cinima of 2007 along with grindhouse, 300, spiderman 3, my name is Bruce, and many others.

hot MAINTAIN THE QUARENTINE. hot

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 04:30:06 PM »

I didn't have high expectations for this movie.  Danny Boyle gave up direction to Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, this being his first English picture (though Boyle did do some second unit filming).  And while 28 Days was just one more zombie-ish movie with absolutely no original content, it played really well, in large part to the screenplay by novelist Alex Garland.  Garland was not involved in the sequel.

That being said, you can imagine my delight when heads started exploding and children were eaten alive by their parents!  Okay, so the baby four seats down from me whined the entire time, but it only added to the post-apocalyptic ambiance of the film.  The characters and events in this narrative were all poorly drawn, but strictly in keeping with the genre.  This one owed a lot in particular to George Romero's Crazies, but to pick up the pace (for those MTV-watching, cellphone-using rapscallions among us) Fresnadillo added sprinklings of Demons 2-type mayhem (sadly, sans Asia Argento...)  So the military is incompetent, scientists are not able to conduct their research properly, Joe Citizen is spineless and can't be trusted... nothing new here.  Oh, and the virus was still active, por supeuesto.

But this is a sequel, so that's A-OK.

28 Weeks Later was thoroughly enjoyable.  I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the original.

++josh;
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 11:40:12 AM »

I saw it yesterday and well I didn't like it too much. The real shaky camera stuff just did me in and gave me a headache. The military is incompetent and heartless but aren't they always to a film like this? The action parts were good and made up for the poor characters. It felt like a pointless sequel and it showed.

Wish I saved my money and waited to rent it.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 11:36:28 PM »

Over on the IMDB boards for this film (and its predecessor's) there's a big to-do about whether or not the virus-infected antagonists should be considered zombies. Personally, I'd say yes. In my opinion the only qualification you really need to be a zombie is to be mindless. And people infected with the Rage virus seem to fit the profile. You don't have to be a reanimated corpse to be a zombie.

But, that's just my opinion, and I'm sure a lot of people here will feel differently.

However it's worth noting that I've noticed a rather bizarre pattern on the IMDB board. That being, that a lot of those in the "They're zombies!" camp are pretty reserved and civil, whereas the majority of the people in the "They're not zombies!" camp are pretty irritable and oftentimes verbally abusive. Question (Not saying all the pro-zombie people are nice, nor that the anti-zombie people are all jerks, it just seems like it from what I've seen.)

Then again this kind of thing isn't too surprising. The IMDB boards are not well-known for their intelligent, civil discussions....

EDIT: And, I just realized there are two topics on this board entitled "28 Weeks Later." Anything we can do about merging them?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 12:04:36 AM by Kooshmeister » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  28 Weeks Later « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.