Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:39:44 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Muppets... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Muppets...  (Read 18910 times)
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« on: April 17, 2007, 10:00:02 PM »

Alright so... I work a video store (actually tomorrow I found out if I'm manager... which will be awesome cause it's a small mom and pops place) but anyway since we can only watch G or PG movies during the day I decided to have a muppets marathon today. And while every movie is great by them I wanted to know:

a) Does anyone else here have a special place in their heart for the muppets (for me the muppets and the Marx Brothers both have a small spot in my heart)?

b) What's you're favorite Muppet movie

c) What's you're favorite muppet moment?

for me b = The Muppet Movie and c = In Muppets Take Manhattan when Kermit and Piggy are arguing and there's a random guy adding in little comments here and there such as "were you giving another women huggies?!"
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 10:04:37 PM »

And I thought I was the only one......... Smile

I'm partial to Muppet Treasure Island (Kermit with the tattoo on his chest cracks me up every time) and Muppets from Space, because I loved the soundtrack.

As to my favorite moment, any and all involving the Swedish chef.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Pilgermann
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 12:25:48 AM »

I love the original Muppet MovieMuppet Christmas Carol is also great.  I have Muppets from Space but I haven't watched it yet.  Never seen the Treasure Island one either.

rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 12:55:11 AM »

i saw these when I was a kid.  They all kinda seemed the same.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 01:07:37 AM »

My favorite Muppet moment is actually from the show, the episode with Mark Hamill in it.  At one point, a Scottish Muppet (I think he was Scottish, his name was something like Angus) who "gargles Gershwin" starts doing his thing on stage.  Mark Hamill joins him and soon you have both of them doing it.  Kermit is standing offstage, shaking his head at the mess.  Then, Kermit notices Animal walking behind him.  He taps Animal and says, "Animal, go SIC 'EM!"  Animal's eyebrows fly up to the top of his forehead and he charges at the two gargling idiots.

You might have to see it for full effect, but that scene makes me howl every time.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 11:04:21 AM »

I always loved The Muppet Show. We bought the season 1 dvds and have gotten through most of them in a couple of marathons. We're waiting for later season releases.

As far as the movies go, I saw The Muppet Movie about nine or ten times in the theater and own the dvd. There are too many moments to list, but one of my favorites is Fozzy's line about a bear in his natural habitat: a Studebaker.

The other Muppet movies I've seen just don't capture the magic of the first one for me. They just seem to be mediocre. I haven't seen The Muppet Treasure Island or The Muppet Wizard of Oz, so I can't say anything about them. It just seems that without Jim Henson, they aren't quite the same.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
raj

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 01:10:20 PM »

I think I've only seen one or two muppet movies.  They're good, but I prefer the TV show.  Too many good points to pick just one.
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 07:34:06 PM »

Actually another Muppet favorite of mine is the Muppet Family Christmas where they all go to Fozzie Bear's Grandmother's house and the Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock Crew join them
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 09:22:51 AM »

Smile I've always liked the Muppets, not only from the show itself, but also the movies, especially The Muppet Movie and The Muppet Christmas Carol with Sir Michael Caine as a truly vile Scrooge. Sesame Street charmed me as a kid, and I can still be called upon to provide a shout of "Mmmmm, cooooookie!" when asked.  TeddyR

What I've always liked about them are that the Muppets are not out of place with the humans and vice versa, also that once you like them as a kid, you want to pass that on to your kids. Also, the Muppets appeal to all age groups and talk down to neither. I remember bawling my eyes out when I heard that Jim Henson passed away ~ in the words of one of his fans: "He was a very good talented teacher." Yes, he was.

Rest in peace, Jim ~ we will always see you in your creations.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 03:50:42 PM »

I like the first couple of movies, hate the third one, and have only seen parts of the later ones, I did like what I saw of Muppets Christmas Carol.

But much like Monty Python, I prefer the TV series to the films as a whole. The Muppet Show just clicked for me in a different way. I think part of it was the guest stars. I saw some episodes after years of not seeing them a few years ago (Hallmark was rerunning them early in the morning. They still held up and I got jokes that I didn't as a kid. Kermit's continued frustration at the trouble of putting on a show every week, Scooter's tireless optimism, Animal's wild antics and how they could be put to good use at times, the Swedish Chef, Sam the Eagle's party pooper/stick in the mud nature conflicting with the others' sense of fun and his boosterism of the forever annoying Wayne and Wanda, Fozzie's pathetic attempts to perform, Ralph's eternal coolness, Gonzo's interspecies (hell interplanetary) love of chickens, etc.

Plus the show introduced my young mind to Spike Milligan, showed me that Peter Sellers was more than just the guy from the Pink Panther films

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 11:12:39 PM »

I think the other thing that's great about the muppets is that it's designed so that everyone has a muppet they can relate to. One of the best things I ever found on Ebay was a burned DVD of the "Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson" special and it's impossible for me to watch it and not cry. I think that besides maybe Mr. Roger's you can't find a more wholesome and humble person
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 03:05:31 AM »

My favorite moment... Well, I think it was on the show when they did a the news sketch and the anchor announced that hunting season had opened.  The next thing you heard was a gun shot followed by a duck falling onto the desk. 

Later on in the show, the same news anchor announces that opera season had opened.  Right after that, another gunshot fired off and this time a stereotypical overweight valkyrie falls onto the desk.

As for my favorite movie, I think either the original or The Great Muppet Caper.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 04:37:35 AM »

One of my favourite memories with Muppets in it came from a rebroadcast episode of Sesame Street where Cookie Monster is staying over with Ernie and this mirrors the real problem that kids sometimes have when they sleep in unfamiliar places and so forth.

Cookie dreams that he is being attacked by cookies, he wakes up and Ernie tries to convince him that he just had a bad dream and that he should go back to sleep. The dialogue went something like this:

Cookie: "Me had bad, bad dream."

Ernie: "It's OK now, you can go back to sleep."

Cookie: (frightened) "Oh no, no, no!"

Ernie: "It's alright, you can go back to sleep. As a matter of fact, I have something to help you do that."

Cookie: (breathing heavily) "Oh, what dat?"

Ernie (hands Cookie a plate of cookies) "Cookies!"

Cookie (freaks) "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! No cookie! No cookie!" (Runs straight through the door, leaving a Cookie Monster sized hole)  TeddyR

Ernie: "Cookie Monster afraid of cookies? I don't believe that."

Cookie (returns and pokes head through hole) "Me no can believe it either!!"(chows all the cookies)  Smile BounceGiggle TeddyR Smile BounceGiggle TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
nada
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 07:49:13 PM »

Small | Large

Weezer's Keep Fishin' video ... just like a classic Muppet Show!
PSlugworth
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 12:57:21 AM »

The Muppets Take Manhattan!

Official Member of the Don Knotts Fan Club.
andrew sylvester dot com
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Muppets... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.