Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:51:21 AM
713393 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  States Restrict Used CD Sales « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: States Restrict Used CD Sales  (Read 7027 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: May 07, 2007, 11:21:14 PM »

Well, do you think the RIAA could be behind this?

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070507-record-shops-used-cds-ihre-papieren-bitte.html

http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/08/0042227

Honestly, the voters in these states need to check who voted these measures into law and write them letters.  Then, when the next election comes around, they need to vote for somebody else.  I imagine that the MPAA is frothing at the mouth, thinking that getting those states to pass used DVD sales legislation will be a snap.

I am sick and tired of this idiocy from the RIAA and MPAA.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 12:01:49 AM »

This is nothing new.  Because I always have music playing in my car, I require fingerprints, a DNA sample, and 2 forms of picture ID from anyone asking for a ride.  Never know when that might come in handy...  Thumbdown

++josh;
akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 03:18:14 AM »

Honestly, is the music industry losing that much money ... ANY money ... from secondhand CDs?  Is GM going to start cracking down on secondhand car sales, next?

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 08:24:42 AM »

Once you buy something, CD, DVD, car or whatever it's yours to do with more or less what you want, the entertainment industry seems to think they should get paid every time you use your CD or DVD player. I think they are the ones behind this piece of idiocy. Eventually I can see them devising a way to charge us every time we listen to music or watch a movie. In the end this sort of thing is about greed, nothing else.  Hatred

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
dean

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 09:08:16 AM »

That certainly is one of the silliest laws I've seen this week.  Here all they need is a driver's license, just so that if there's a report that "Somebody stole my Toni Braxton greatest hits CD and my Copy of FABIO" the vendor can realise 'hang on, that funny looking guy who just sold me those cds may be the culprit!'

Anyways, this is the sort of draconian law that makes me think things have gone way way too far in the US when it comes to copyright issues and whatnot.  Once it's yours, it's yours. 

Here we are legally allowed to make a back-up of anything we own, for personal use.  Distribution of course is different, but I'm pretty sure a re-seller can tell the difference between a burnt CD and the original, if we were trying to be silly about it.

I suppose it makes sense if you buy a cd, copy it and then sell the original, but just look at me weep over the minority that actually go through the effort of buying the cd first.  Anyone with half a brain and an internet connection would much rather download it for free than shell out money for a CD, copy it and then make a loss selling it to someone else...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 01:28:45 AM »

Great just as I was hoping to purge a big chunk of my old CDs. Maybe I can donate them to the library.

Yeah, this will turn around music sales, because the younger age group, the main popular music purchasers, are switching to all digital music anyway if they ever did anyway, they don't even bother with CDs or physical formats in many cases. MP3 players have been around long enough thaty the kids getting into music in their early teens don't have CD collections.

I've rarely gotten good CDs from pawn shops, and even now when I look the selection is terrible. In my experience they can't give the stuff they have away.

A locally owned music store still has used CDs, I buy more used that new stuff from them when I even go in there since that's where the offbeat and interesting stuff is, but that's because their selection went to hell as they try to compete with the big chains.

So the very things that made the CD/DVD format appealing to consumers is what will turn the used market into a pain and eventually a crime?  Way to go RIAA, get copyrights extended periodically, keep prices high, fight innovation or variety, then tell your customer base they are stuck with their unwanted purchases for all time rather than realizing that people who trade in used discs or make mix discs tend to buy more new music as well as used stuff.

Maybe I should go all digital, I sure can't find much of the interesting stuff I want new when I go to one of those stores. Buying online, if the disc is in good shape, why wouldn't I buy used if the price is less and the medium/disc is in good shape.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 02:33:22 AM »

Maybe they are doing this so consumers upgrade to digital MP3's and the like. Quick Everybody start burying records and 8-tracks!! Smile
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 03:09:10 AM »

Maybe they are doing this so consumers upgrade to digital MP3's and the like. Quick Everybody start burying records and 8-tracks!! Smile

Actually, now that you mention it, the poor audiophiles of the world have no choice but to purchase used material.  Very few albums are being issued on quality vinyl these days.  What people tend to forget is that digital music in any form (CDs, etc) is a poor imitation of the original recording.  Records and tapes actually store the entire analog sound wave.  CDs and the like use various formulas to approximate it, but distortions are pretty severe.  Certainly, to someone content with MP3s this is a trivial matter, but for the few that do care I'd hazard to guess they spend more than their share on goods from this particular industry.

++josh;
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 03:22:04 AM »

Well, it's a case of the genie being out of the bottle.

The RIAA, and to a lesser extend the MPAA (for some reason), were lucky enough to form from the ability to record sound and image.  That innovation, still not that old, has radically changed the world.  For a long time the ability to do such and distribute it widely was held by a select few.  With this new thing the kids are using, the internet, this is no longer the case.

This conflict has never been about the artists, but about the middleman distributors who have been (until now) vital.

The current business model, which includes the RIAA, are outmoded.  They were only ever a momentary blip.  These draconian tactics are the dying throes of impotent businessmen who tethered their "star" to what has always been a crappy proposition.

There is a serious conflict here, and unfortunately it's being helmed by people who really don't understand how radically the distribution of recorded media will change the world.  The RIAA is p**sed because they are losing their ability to control what people can download and hear, crippling their profit margins, but also crippling their ability to dictate taste.

It should be quite a fight.  I imagine eventually our government will come to its senses, even though they seem to have the same fascination with controlling information flow.  Why do you never hear about the RIAA's ridiculously bullying tactics on television news?  Because the same companies who stand to lose own the stations.

Embrace change.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 11:19:05 PM »

They've tried things like this before, remember those proposed taxes on blank audio and video tapes?

This tactic seems strange because it's seriously out of date, years to late to have any effect. There were many more used CD outlets (in my experience anyway) about six or seven years ago. The original Napster and other filesharing sites killed them off. I can remember seeing whole collections of artists turning up in stores like that (not just the usual Grateful Dead or Widespread Panic discs traded in by fans needing quick cash), or ridiculous numbers of the same disc (a certain Limp Bizkit album being the standout in my memory).

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  States Restrict Used CD Sales « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.