Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:26:56 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Gardens « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Gardens  (Read 22684 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2008, 04:58:20 PM »

Has anyone started planting or planning yet?  I decided to try celery this year along with radishes.  I'll probably be harvesting the radishes in a few weeks.  I planted two tomato plants as well this weekend.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2008, 06:04:03 PM »

Has anyone started planting or planning yet?  I decided to try celery this year along with radishes.  I'll probably be harvesting the radishes in a few weeks.  I planted two tomato plants as well this weekend.

My garden is out and I've already harvested greens and other early crops. Corn, cukes, beans, squash, zucchinis and others are all up. Tomatoes planted, as well as potatoes, and other root crops. I'll likely grow two gardens this year and all spring, summer and winter crops. We'll canning, freezing, preserving, drying and storing most of it. I have a few peppers out but I need to plant more. 

Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2008, 07:13:48 PM »

In my last apartment, I lived on the top floor with a large verandah, so I had heaps of pot plants - ferns, palms etc.  I did think of growing my own food, but the verandah was in shade all day and that's not ideal for food growing.

In my new apartment, I'm on the ground floor, but there's no real access to the yard.  I have a concrete walkway that only I use and I can put pots and stuff on that, but the common path as right next to it so if I get a little plant happy, any passer by can knock the pots over if they're not careful.  And it's on the shady side of the building as well. 

I was thinking about putting in wire shelving underneath my large dining room window and putting plants and stuff there.  That window gets sun all day so it would be ideal for growing things, but I think the food growing option is out of the question.  I can just image the property manager's face on inspection day when she sees tomatoes and beans growing in the dining room!  I don't want to do all that work and have her order me to get rid of them.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2008, 06:04:59 AM »

Me and my son Jed planted tomatoes two weeks ago. Me and Tara Sue planted all sorts of flowers yesterday. We also pulled LOTS of weeds around the Rose vines in the back of the house. I hope my 'maters come in better than last year. Tara's son Tooie (yes....TOOIE) planted a mess of potatoes in the late fall.....hopefully will be digging up some spuds outta the backyard this year!!!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2008, 07:19:24 AM »

That's what I spent my weekend doing, planting flowers, vegetables and herbs.  And some grass seed too.  The stuff in the yard, not the other grass.  We got pole beans since we liked those last year.  Peas, it says on the package that they only grow 4' tall.  Last year they grew about 7' tall.  I put up cages, they grew past them.  Put up posts and tied the plants to them, they still tipped over.  Then I was trying to get peas out of this giant gnarled mass of plants.  Lettuce, first time we're growing that.  Onions, radishes, and 5 kinds of hot peppers (variety pack).  It says on the package you're supposed to start the pepper plants indoors, let them get started for a few weeks and then put them outdoors in a protected area for a week, then put them in the garden.  Well, I didn't read the package until I was kneeling next to the garden, ready to put the seeds in the ground.  The peppers we planted last year took forever to sprout, so long in fact that I planted some other stuff in that area.  Of course then they came up. 

Got some sweet corn, but I didn't plant that yet.  It says you're supposed to plant it in 4 rows, next to each other, to ensure proper pollination.  Well, it's going in one long row dammit.  I'm putting them behind the garage, because I'd love to spend an extra 15 minutes trimming around them when I mow the lawn every week.  Haven't got the tomatoes yet. 

Also planted the wife's herb garden, hopefully this year she'll actually use some of the herbs instead of just pulling off an occasional leaf to comment on how pretty they smell.  Then I planted about three dozen impatiens and petunias in all the numerous little niches around here. 

The apple tree is in full bloom too, it's gorgeous, absolutely covered in white blossoms.  Soon our back yard will be absolutely covered in apples.  If anybody wants some, like a hundred pounds worth every week, just let me know  TeddyR
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 07:31:27 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2008, 08:05:46 AM »

My mom and dad usually have a garden of some sorts.  Usually it's just flowers, but my dad loves to plant stuff for fruits and vegetables now and then.  My dad loves to plant strawberries, hot peppers, blueberries,  and sometimes cantaloupe though the last one is become a rarity since we have so much trouble with rabbits and other small animals eating the plants.

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2008, 11:29:33 AM »

I have peas, carrots (purple ones!!!) and tomatoes in so far.  Need to get the squash srtarted ASAP.  Blueberries and strawberries are shaping up nicely.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2008, 06:29:32 AM »

I just planted at my grandfather in law's farm yesterday.  Final count; 4 zucchini plants, 6 egg plants, 12 tomatoes, 12 jalapenos, 6 hot cherry pepper, 6 scotch bonnets along with a few rows of beans and radishes. 

DarkSider's Realm

Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2008, 06:18:32 AM »

This year's garden is doing phenomenal up here in the NE.  I have been picking at least a half dozen zucchinis a day along with tons of beans.  My tomato plants at the farm have at least a dozen tomatoes on them a piece.  On the way also are eggplant and peppers.  How is everyone else doing?

DarkSider's Realm

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2008, 07:26:18 AM »

My pole beans are up to the top of their poles, sending out feelers in every direction like some B movie monster  TeddyR  No beans yet, but once they start producing I'm sure we'll be buried.  My peas are doing horrible this year, must have gotten some bad seeds.  Only about 20% of them came up, I planted about 15 more and two of those came up, they're about an inch tall.  Even the ones that are growing well look kind of sickly.  My peppers are about 6" tall, they grow pretty slow (I guess Minnesota isn't the ideal climate for them), but they're doing well.  I'm interested to see what kind of peppers we'll get, it was a variety pack of seeds and I have no idea what they'll be like.  Lettuce - one little packet of seeds and we've got enough lettuce for about three families.  Onions are about a foot tall, they're doing good, maybe not quite big enough to pick yet.  Tomato plants are full of tomatoes, nothing even close to being ripe yet.  Last year they didn't seem to be growing as well as I would have liked, so I dug holes and filled them with fresh potting soil and planted them in that.  Seems to have done the trick.  One of them is over the top of its cage already.  We've got one little runt, I planted it in a new spot where I'd never grown a tomato before, I thought the soil would be nice and fertile there, but I guess I was wrong.  Poor little thing is only a foot tall, but it's got several tomatoes on it.

I planted five sweetcorn seeds, nothing came up.  Oh well.

And the wife's herb garden?  All flowered out.  Another year of pulling the occasional leaf off and saying "Doesn't that smell pretty?", but I don't think she's actually used them for anything.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Gardens « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.