Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:27:27 AM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Gardens « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Gardens  (Read 22458 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: April 22, 2007, 07:39:42 AM »

Does anyone else keep a garden?  Even when we lived in the apartment in New York, we had one on the deck.  These are some pictures of the garden.

The garden in July of 2006:

(It eventually became a jungle.  You could barely move around on the deck to pick the vegetables and water.  Also, we had beans growing up a trellis outside the front door).

Jenna with a pepper and a zucchini in 2005:

That zucchini went a little too long. I think Katie made zucchini bread with it.

We live in a townhouse, but our present landlord does not want me planting a garden (I wanted to in the area around the deck, it is missing grass anyway).  So, we are in pots again.  However, this year I can use a hose to water and am not restricted so much by space.  In years past, we would have:

4 pots of zucchini and yellow squash (1-3 plants per)
6 tomato plants
2 grape tomato plants
6 pepper plants
2 long containers, 1 with romaine lettuce and 1 with spinach
2 pots of cucumbers (1-3 plants per)
1-2 long containers of beans

A lot of years, we would give away some cucumbers and tomatoes, because we had so many.  I know that one time I filled a bucket with extra tomatoes to give away.

I am trying to grow a number of tomato plants from seed this year, because you can get a lot of varieties.  We have Pineapple, Brandywine, Grape, Black Prince, Tigerella, Rutgers, and a few others for tomatoes.  For peppers, we have California Wonders (these are awesome), Red Bell, Green Bell, and Whoppers. 

We've found that the flavor is much better for the vegetables we get from our garden.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 08:38:36 AM »

I wish I had enough direct sun where I'm living to grow some veggies.  I had to settle for some shade plants this year.  I live in a townhouse too, and we're allowed to plant as we like.  So in our front courtyard I have phlox, hostas, and some impatiens, and since I have a sunnier spot in the back, I potted some herb plants and put them on our wall.  I've got rosemary, cilantro, oregano, and basil going, but I still wish I had a spot I could at least grow tomatoes.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 10:26:13 AM »

We just got our house in August of last year...it's already got a climbing rose bush in back,and all sorts of different types of flowers ( I don't know they're names,but Tara Sue does), but I plan on putting in a small garden,'cause I love freash veggies. I'm thinking of peppers (bell,jalapeno,and habenero), radishes (I like to put them in the freezer for a little,to get them ice cold),maybe some wax beans,and some squash and cucumbers. I used to have poppys growing at the little place I used to live at on the out skirts of town some years back...but people always wanted to show me how to make opium...but I wasin't really interested. We got some wild blackberries here too. I'd really like to have some horseradish,too. My ex-brother in law...(the one in prison) had pot plants growing in back of the old place...and he got p**sed at me for yanking them out...I told him I wasn't going to go to jail for growing pot,and if he want's pot so bad,to get off his ass,get a job,and go buy it...!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 11:26:24 AM »

Had a problem with the tomatoes I have been growing from seed.  I put them outside for about 6 hours yesterday as part of hardening them up and they appear to have been scalded by the sun.  That is weird, because it was not the first time they were left outside to harden up (though it was the longest).  Still, tomato plants that could not take direct sunlight?  All of the peppers look like they are doing fine.

I have grown tomatoes in partial sun.  They do not get as large and it takes longer for the fruit to ripen, but you can do it.  I would suggest going for smaller types, like grape tomatoes or mid-sized ones like Brandywines.

RCMerchant, I love fresh squash and zucchini - along with cucumbers.  The only problem is, if you do not have a lot of pollinating insects, you end up having to be a pimp daddy for them.  Up in New York, I would take a small paintbrush (get a cheap one at Michaels or another craft store with painting supplies) and transfer pollen from the male flowers to the female ones.  Tomatoes and peppers pollinate themselves.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 11:52:44 AM »

I usually plant a huge garden in my limited space backyard.  I love growing different varieties of hot peppers (habenero, cherry, etc).  I usually do one or two cucmber plants and grow them up a wire cage to contain them.  Tomoatoes I've had luck with although for some reason where I live they don't rippen until late August. 

This year I'm trying sugar snap peas, beans, a bunch of different hot peppers, cucumbers and maybe one tomoato plant.

Last year I took on horseradish.  It was fun to watch it grow but a pain in the @ss to harvest.  Has anyone ever done any root crops like that?

I also do a small flower garden next to my blueberry bushes outside my house.  Oh and I also have rasberry bushes.  Everyone keep me updated how their stuff is doing and I'll do the same.  I just planted my peas this past weekend because I've read they do much better in the cooler temps. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 03:52:23 AM »

BounceGiggle

Thanks, RCM, that story about your brother and him growing pot made me smile.  TeddyR

I arrived home one day and found a very strange looking plant growing in one of my pots. I called my mom and asked her what she thought it was after describing it to her, after being saddened that it wasn't a triffid.  TeddyR

Her answer was that I had a marijuana plant growing there ~ apparently someone had put marijuana seeds into the pot a while back and one of them had sprouted.

After the shock of finding out that my mom knew what a marijuana plant looked like died down, I found out that my grandmother used to legally grow pot in her back yard back in the 1930's and she used to make a tea out of it, which she administered to my mom's two sisters, one who had chronic asthma and the other who had cancer. The pot tea (teapot???  Drink ) alleviated the symptoms greatly.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 08:30:34 AM »

We have a small garden out behind the house.  Two regular tomato plants and one cherry tomato plant (that thing spread out all over the place last year and made it a real pain to mow the lawn around it).  Beans - way too many beans.  We had them every day for two months and I think I gave a big bag of them away.  Peas - usually had problems with them but last year I stuck some old tomato cages in the ground for them to climb on and they did great.  They don't produce like the beans though;  with peas after you pick them for a couple of weeks they die, unlike beans which just keep growing more beans and more beans and then yet more beans.  And we had a few onions that we grew from seed, so they were pretty small.  They got lost under all the bean plants too.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 03:12:12 PM »

We grow basic veggies..tomatoes, peas, squash, herbs.  We also have strawberries and bluerries. 

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 07:11:40 PM »

We are on our very own horsefarm...lots of garden space and endless fertilizer!  I freeze and can a lot in the fall.

Incredible how the flavour of everything improves with freshness.  One of the advantages of having acres of space is that we can plant sweet corn in the garden steps from the door: put the pot on to boil and then go out and pick it.

Not sure what we will plant this year - it will be a few weeks yet until the soil is warm enough (southern Ontario, Canada we usually wait 'til the end of May)  tomatoes are a must (usually two dozen plants - several types) beans (green, yellow and purple), broccoli, carrots, potatoes, peas, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins, radishes, lettuce, cauliflower, pop corn (for fun), sweet corn (several varieties to stagger the crop), peppers, snow peas...hmm...any suggestions?   Lots of greenhouses in our area so we can buy the plants already started (short growing season), but most we do grow from seed.

We are in the fruit belt so we also have trees - apple, pear, cherry and plum - and berry bushes (raspberry, gooseberry, blackberry, red and black currants and elderberries).  Lots of canned fruit and jams and jellies.  No grapes ...yet.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 08:08:02 PM »

I planted some peas a few weeks ago and they're currently coming up.  Probably will start everything else by Memorial Day.  Hows everyone else doing?

DarkSider's Realm

Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 08:34:55 PM »

Great avatar and quote Darksider. Worthy of karma.

I spent the last two weekends off working on the yard. Last year we had a desert in the back of our new home's yard and this year it's looking green. By fall I hope to fill in all the barren spots little by little. The new home construction here only puts grass in the front and nothing in the back. Leaving it up to the owner to plant backyard grass. The rest was just basic edging, mowing, watering, setting the front sprinkler system for the summer, and putting dark colorado mulch around the bush areas. Added some accents like a solar light near the front porch, some wild flowers near the porch, and humming bird feeder in the back. No veggies yet. Maybe next year. Considered putting a fruit tree in the back yard, but I have to do a little more research.

Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 07:56:18 AM »

Ours is coming along.  The beans are breaking the soil, same with the spinach and romaine lettuce.  My tomatoes and peppers from seed are not doing well.  I think that starting them indoors worked against them when I moved them outside.  They appear to be permanently stunted.  I am doing another planting and keeping them outside the whole time.  Tomatoes and peppers grow pretty quick in warm weather, so I don't think I'll be too far behind.

We almost had frost the other night.  I see a tiny amount of leaf curling from that.

Going to get some more medium sized plants from the nursery/Lowes too.  The ones I had gotten are all doing great, the tomato plants already need cages.  Well, except for one pepper plant.  We had a windy day and I think the wind cracked its central stalk.  It died.

Jenna is begging to plant her sunflower seeds.  I am used to putting them in the ground around the middle of May, so I think she may get her wish this weekend.

I have been meaning to mention a trick for growing tomatoes that I know.  First off, mix in some calcium lime with the soil.  That helps to prevent blossom end rot on the fruit.  Second, dig your hole for the tomato plant when transplanting and then break an egg in the bottom (shell and all).  Plant the tomato on top of it and fill in the hole.  The shell provies the plant with calcium and the yolk/white provides sulfer.  I found this trick on the web a few years ago and did some testing.  All of the plants that we planted with eggs underneath grew better.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 08:12:40 AM »

Another tomato trick: put some epsom salts in the hole when planting them.  The tomatoes will be sweeter (less acidic) - it works.

I'll be digging in some lime - thanks Andrew!

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 11:49:17 AM »

Great avatar and quote Darksider. Worthy of karma.

Thanx, people seem to be digging it so far. 

I'll have to mention the egg technique to my neighbor.  The guy literally plants over 20 tomato plants but last year he had a problem with rot on some.  Some guy on the radio told him he had to plant something else there to cure the rot which I didn't quite understand.  I think it could have very well been the ridiculous amount of rain we had last year.

The better half's grandfather owns a strawberry field in town and is loaning me some land.  When he says "some land" its usually 20 feet by 20 feet.  Last year I was washed out from the rain there but I'm hoping for a better yield because he's giving me a dryer patch of land.  Probably will plant 5 or 6 cucumber plants there and let them go wild. 

I actually prepared the strings for the peas last night.  I was told they like to climb so hopefully my contraption will work out. 

DarkSider's Realm

Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 11:52:39 AM »

I decided, much like everyone else  in  my general area, to put all plants in the ground this past weekend.  Official tally;

4 rows of sugar snap peas
3 rows of green beans
1 row each of;
Habaneros
Red Chillis
Giant Hot Portuguese
Bush Tomatoes

Side note to hot pepper lovers, if you can find the giant Portuguese hot peppers nab them.  They grow huge (hence the name) and are very productive.  I notice the bush tomato variety is perfect for limited space gardens much like the one I have.  They don't get too high and are great producers.  Anyone else ever try them? 

I'm saving the cucumbers and squash for my patch of land at my wife's grandfathers farm.  Perhaps put in more of the above crop as well.  I'd have to say this is one of my favorite times of the year, primarily for this reason. 

DarkSider's Realm

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Gardens « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.