Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:57:06 PM
713365 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Gardens « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Gardens  (Read 22452 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2007, 08:50:02 AM »

Has anyone on this board have trouble with corn before?  I tried it last year but the rain pretty much washed out that idea.  I planted it again this year and its been over two weeks and it hasn't come up.  I'm assuming the birds could have gotten it.  Other than that the cucumbers are taking off big time already stretching to about a foot on any give side from the original seedling. The first tomato is coming in on one of my plants and everything else is flowering. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2007, 01:21:58 PM »

I have had problems with corn, but it did come up (vice not sprouting at all).  I've only grown it a few times and the last was a few years ago, so I cannot be of much assistance.

We already finished out spinach and have gone through a lot of the lettuce (Romaine).  My yellow pear tomatoes are heavy with fruit.  I started counting on one of them and stopped at a hundred.  If those taste as good as they are supposed to, we might get fat from eating tomatoes.

Picked our first zucchini yesterday.  We have two more coming and it looks like this weekend will be a bumper crop of yellow squash.  Some of my pepper plants are going nuts with fruit too.  I would have more zucchini, but the darn plants went nuts making male flowers and didn't have any female (fruit) ones.

My cucumbers are big and full of flowers, but all of them are male.  The plants should unscrew themselves soon and start making fruit.  The darn things look like China (all boys and no girls).

The other tomato plants are all blooming and going to fruit too.  The German Queen and Brandywines are huge plants, around 4 to 4 1/2 feet. 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2007, 02:34:46 PM »

My sweet peppers are making some progress, they're gone from 1" to almost 3" tall in the past few weeks.  Apparently they like the hot weather.  The hot peppers have some teeny-weeny peppers on them already, maybe 3/4" long.  The beans are doing really well, though I had to rip out what I thought was a a 4' tall pole bean because it turned out to be a weed  TeddyR  That was the first one to come up too!  Once the other beans started climbing up their poles I decided that first one wasn't a bean.  The bush beans have got lots of baby beans on them about 1/4" long.  The peas are awesome, about 3 1/2 feet tall and getting some flowers.  The tomatoes are doing well too, they're over 4' tall and they've got a dozen or so tomatoes, but nothing ready to pick for a while.  No tomatoes on the grape tomato plant, but it's getting quite a few flowers.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 02:37:09 PM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2007, 01:57:06 PM »

These are pictures of my garden behind the house which were taken this morning.  I'll try to get around to pictures of my bigger garden at the farm once it really takes off.  From left to right peas, beans, red chilies, giant Portugal hot peppers, habenero, bush tomatoes. 

DarkSider's Realm

Fishasaurus
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2007, 01:32:43 PM »

I wish I had enough direct sun where I'm living to grow some veggies.  I had to settle for some shade plants this year.  I live in a townhouse too, and we're allowed to plant as we like.  So in our front courtyard I have phlox, hostas, and some impatiens, and since I have a sunnier spot in the back, I potted some herb plants and put them on our wall.  I've got rosemary, cilantro, oregano, and basil going, but I still wish I had a spot I could at least grow tomatoes.

I'm in the a same boat as you, but it's squah Id like to grow.

It takes a child to raze a village. -- Jello Biafra
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2007, 03:52:09 PM »

Squash would be cool too, actually growing any produce would be nice if it helped cut down on the grocery bill.  I did buy some cherry tomato plants, and the tomatoes are just starting to ripen. 

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2007, 11:30:40 AM »

So how is everyone making out?  I have been picking literally 20 each of squash and cucumbers every other day.  I've been keeping my coworkers happy by brining in my access.  Beans are more than plentiful seeing I have a ten foot row of them going.  I have been grilling the squash mixing it with beans and zucchini.   Thumbup

The peppers are doing pretty good.  I tried some of the red chilies which have a pretty good kick to them.  Mind you they're still green.  I hope to start drying some up once I get a few tomatoes to ripen.  Speaking of that, most of my tomato plants have a good yield but they're still green. 

DarkSider's Realm

Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2007, 12:09:49 PM »

Had a deer that poached some of my tomatoes, but I put rags soaked in my cologne around and that has kept him (it was a small buck) away.  We've been picking about a quart of Yellow Pear and Grape tomatoes every other day.  The larger ones, like the Black Prince, Tigerella, German Queen, and Sunmaster are coming in now.

Beans didn't do so good.  We did get some, but not as many as I would have liked.  The kids picked and ate most of them right where they grew.

I had to pull out and replant two of the pots of squash after the plants were wrung out.  I think that I need to limit myself to two or three plants in each of those big pots.  Four was too many.  We did get a number of zucchini and yellow squash.  The cucumbers have been producing, but I think that I needed to limit how many of those were in each pot down to three from four.

The peppers are just starting to ripen and we are going to have a nice crop of those.  Some of the red bells are big enough that my fist would fit inside of them and each plant has half a dozen or so.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2007, 12:55:48 PM »

Had a deer that poached some of my tomatoes, but I put rags soaked in my cologne around and that has kept him (it was a small buck) away.  We've been picking about a quart of Yellow Pear and Grape tomatoes every other day.  The larger ones, like the Black Prince, Tigerella, German Queen, and Sunmaster are coming in now.

Beans didn't do so good.  We did get some, but not as many as I would have liked.  The kids picked and ate most of them right where they grew.

I had to pull out and replant two of the pots of squash after the plants were wrung out.  I think that I need to limit myself to two or three plants in each of those big pots.  Four was too many.  We did get a number of zucchini and yellow squash.  The cucumbers have been producing, but I think that I needed to limit how many of those were in each pot down to three from four.

The peppers are just starting to ripen and we are going to have a nice crop of those.  Some of the red bells are big enough that my fist would fit inside of them and each plant has half a dozen or so.

Want to keep deer away from your garden or fruit trees? Pee around it, morning pee is best it's more smelly. Buggedout But might not be the best idea if you are in an urban, populated area, could give the neighbors a bit of a start.

And if you need tomatoes come pick as many as you want I have 1000's of them, same goes for squash, zucchini's, cukes, the hot dry weather has been a mixed blessing some plants have thrived and other not so well, but I've had to run a soaker hose everyday to keep the ground moist as we're nearly 16 inches below normal for the year on rain.

raj

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2007, 02:27:14 PM »

My red chilis all up and died -- never got to be more than sprouts.  And I tried not watering them too much. Bluesad

One bush that I planted last year is dead.  And now the dogwood I planted this spring is in sad shape.  I've never had such problems with plants before.  Wonder if it has anything to do with the Indian bones I dug up and threw in the trash.
Fishasaurus
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2007, 08:12:22 AM »

Had a problem with the tomatoes I have been growing from seed.  I put them outside for about 6 hours yesterday as part of hardening them up and they appear to have been scalded by the sun.  That is weird, because it was not the first time they were left outside to harden up (though it was the longest). 

They probably have the fungus disease called, you guessed it, "sunscald."  The tomatoes should still be good if the plants live at all.

When I bought my condo I finally had a sunny spot to garden, and now the neightbors have let their volunteer box-elder trees block out every drop of sunlight.  Soon I'll be restricted to ferns and toadlilies, unless I get out there with a vhainsaw and some Round-Up...

It takes a child to raze a village. -- Jello Biafra
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2007, 07:36:03 AM »

Odd story.  It seems almost overnight two of my squash plants have bit the dust.  I'm not sure if something like a deer trampled through the garden.  I had my wife's grandfather look at it and he thinks it could have been a fungus. 

On a bright note, the tomatoes around here are finally turning.  That an my row of onions are maturing nicely.

DarkSider's Realm

Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2007, 11:54:31 PM »

Darksider: you could have a grub problem. I lost some squash plants just like you describe and found that large, white grubs were in the pots and had chewed deep into the taproots. 

Dinner tonight was stuffed peppers, with the Borntreger twist.  We used all yellow and red bell peppers from the garden.  The tomato in the stuffing was a mix from our plants.  Instead of ground beef, we use sweet sausage that is removed from the skin and mozzarella cheese.  The reds are sweet when stuffed and the yellows have that great yellow flavor to them.  Mmmm, good!

Now, the tomato report:  (we are buried in tomatoes)

These are the ones I will be planting next year:

Sunmaster
These are great!  Tennis ball sized and almost perfectly round, producing lots of fruit, not tempermental at all about heat or watering.  They make great slicers for club sandwiches and burgers.

Sugary
These will replace grape tomatoes as my favorite little sweet tomato.  They are larger than a grape tomato and more fleshy, which I like, along with being sweeter.  The plant is making plenty of them.

Yellow Pear
Lots (like 200 per plant) of little tomatoes that look cool and taste like regular tomatoes.  Only a few problems with cracking and that is about 1 out of 40 fruit.

Mr. Stripey
I like their size, about the same as a ping-pong ball.  A little tart on the taste, but a good tomato to cut in half for your salad.  I'm looking forward to these in Katie's homemade salsa.

Pineapple (maybe)
The one plant is full of big fruit, no cracking (a deer has been raiding the other plant).  They are supposed to be big, sweet beefsteaks.  If they do well, I will replace my usual Hillbilly plants with these for our sweet beefsteak requirement (for the salsa, etc).

These will not be planted next year:

Black Prince
Interesting color, interesting size, a little different taste, but they crack too much!  All of them crack the moment they start to ripen.

Jet Star Hybrid
Meh.  Plants are problematic with yellowing and the Sunmaster is a much better tomato. I would plant a Celebrity before these.

Grape Tomato
The Sugary is a better choice

German Queen
They crack too much.

Brandywine
I am having a problem with them in pots.  The plants get too big for pots.  If I didn't have to use pots, I would do these again.  I like Brandywines.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2007, 09:08:25 AM »

About the only 'mater we grow is Roma's, they're great for salsa as they are meaty and not full of pulp. I just get other kinds from friends, we trade's em out.

Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2007, 11:27:23 AM »

Darksider: you could have a grub problem. I lost some squash plants just like you describe and found that large, white grubs were in the pots and had chewed deep into the taproots. 

Perhaps it was a grub and oddly it was only one plant of five that went down.  I had a bush tomato plant that fell on the ground at the farm and something has been eating the tomatoes right off the vine.  I'm assuming a woodchuck or rabit.  Probably the same animal that were eating the baby cucumbers off the vine. I staked up the plant and I'm hoping it may deter ground feeders if they are in fact that. 

The bush variety tomoatoes have been giving out a nice yield.  I picked the first one a few weeks ago and it was very sweet.  Thats the only variety I tried this year.

Beans I have too many of and squash is still plentiful.  I'm hoping to harvest the hot peppers for drying this weekend.  I picked an onion or two which are about the size of baseballs right now. 

DarkSider's Realm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Gardens « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.