Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:56:24 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Safe downloading « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Safe downloading  (Read 5112 times)
Rictras Shard
Dedicated Viewer

« on: May 21, 2007, 12:58:59 PM »

Anyone here know of a site where you can legally download movies, with low risks of getting viruses? Paying fees doesn't concern me, as long as they aren't too extravagant. I've done searches, but am not sure which sites are trustworthy.

Thanks in advance.
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 03:06:40 PM »

Downloading movies legally isn't worth it; you may as well purchase them at a store.  If you are running Windows, Amazon.com has "unbox", which is a full-quality download service.  Unfortunately the files are "locked", so you can only watch them on your computer (i.e. can't burn them to a DVD), and they cost virtually as much as the regular ol' physical copy.  If you've got an iPod you can download TV shows and movies through the iTunes store.  The price is a little better (as you are downloading something really low-res), but again the videos are locked so you can't watch it on a TV, say.

You are currently living through a transition.  The policy of the MPAA strongly discourages downloadable media.  This is more than evident by the restrictions placed on your purchase and the price you are paying for it.  Think of it this way:  You could buy Movie A at a store for $15 on DVD.  That DVD is a physical medium that cost money to make, and even more money to ship to the distributor and to the retailer.  That's figured into the price so the studio still makes a profit.  Once you own that DVD, you can take it to a friend's house and watch it, you can burn it to your computer or iPod to watch it, you could use it as a frizbee to entertain your dog.  Now for $14, you could download Movie A from Amazon.com.  The quality of the video is the same as the DVD, and often times you even get the extra features as well.  It cost the studios a fraction of a penny in bandwidth for you to download the video.  There were no shipping costs, no manufacturing costs, etc.  Essentially 100% profit.  Rather than passing the savings along to the consumer, they make the product even crappier.  You no longer have the option to watch it at a friend's house.  You don't even have the option to watch it on a TV in your house.  It is forever glued to your computer.  Worse still, you are stuck using Amazon.com's software to play it back!  You can't even queue it in your favorite media player!

Now let me switch gears here and accuse you of misdeeds against the manTeddyR  You should never be put in a position to worry about the trustworthiness of a site... unless you are downloading movies illegally.  It would be like worrying whether Best Buy is actually selling you the movie, or whether it is just a virus in disguise.  Balderdash!  And while it is noble of you to not mind paying fees, what legal alternative exists?  Seriously?  Outside the public domain, you have pay for each thing you buy.  That's how capitalism works.  Which leads me to suspect your real question is, "How can I safely download movies illegally?"  That, my friend, you'll have to Google for.

++josh;
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 03:52:13 PM »

Downloading movies legally isn't worth it; you may as well purchase them at a store.  If you are running Windows, Amazon.com has "unbox", which is a full-quality download service.  Unfortunately the files are "locked", so you can only watch them on your computer (i.e. can't burn them to a DVD), and they cost virtually as much as the regular ol' physical copy.  If you've got an iPod you can download TV shows and movies through the iTunes store.  The price is a little better (as you are downloading something really low-res), but again the videos are locked so you can't watch it on a TV, say.

Unless you have a fifth generation Ipod that supports video.  I have one with a cable that splits into RCA jacks.  I'm currently watching The Staircase documentary which I downloaded via ITunes.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Menard
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 04:21:59 PM »

http://www.archive.org/browse.php?field=subject&mediatype=movies&collection=moviesandfilms

http://www.archive.org/details/prelinger

Primarily public domain films available in different downloads. Depends as to whom encoded them whether or not the quality is very good.

This is a huge online archive. Search around the site and you'll find other downloads for shorts and a large database of otr programs that can be downloaded.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 06:39:55 PM »

You could always stream them from this website Susan pointed out.
They've got movies, TV shows, you name it.

http://www.tv-links.co.uk/
Rictras Shard
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 10:20:53 PM »

Which leads me to suspect your real question is, "How can I safely download movies illegally?"  That, my friend, you'll have to Google for.

Uhm, no. If that was the case, I would not have asked the question on a public forum of a well known and popular movie site.

My problem is twofold. There are sites that claim to have legal downloads, when in fact they do not. Also, many of the movies I like are older films which may not ever make it to DVD, but downloading them from an unauthorized site is still an act of theft.
Menard
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 10:38:50 PM »

If that was the case, I would not have asked the question on a public forum of a well known and popular movie site.

What!?!

You asked the same question somewhere else, too?

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 10:59:11 PM »

This site has some free downloads of older films.
I haven't looked around on it in awhile so I don't know what they have.

http://www.movieflix.com/
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Safe downloading « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.