Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:38:52 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Hungarian suicide song « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hungarian suicide song  (Read 6482 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: March 27, 2007, 02:55:30 PM »

There's a movie I just put on my netflix cue called "Gloomy Sunday." Its a german film from 1999, based around a urban legend of the supposed "Hungarian Suicide song". According to what I've read, the song was written in 1933 and supposedly was so depressing that it inspired several real-life suicides. It is one of the few urban myths that can actually be traced back to an original source, though none of the info from that time that could prove or disprove the myth still exists. Reguardless, the film (a drama as opposed to a horror movie) is said to be very good, and in fact is famous for playing to packed houses and for record periods of time. Has anybody seen it yet? What did you think?   

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 05:11:19 PM »

I think I heard a recording of Sinead O Connor singing this once...it had the same title anyway. 

I'm surprised she didn't off herself immediately after singing it, seeing as how she's been in disarray ever since she decided to rip up a picture of the pope. 
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 11:47:40 AM »

I think I heard a recording of Sinead O Connor singing this once...it had the same title anyway. 

Yeah, she did cover it. Actually there have been a ton of covers, mostly due to the popularity of the myth. Bjork did a cover, Elvis Costello did a cover, Sarah Mclachlin, a bunch of other people.....the most famous is the original Billie Holiday cover, although the ending of her version - and thus, most of the covers since - was changed to make the lyrics less pessimistic.

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »

Finally got this one from netflix. Good movie, kind of a chick flick, but still a good movie. What I learned from Gloomy Sunday:

* Meat rolls are a necessary part of any war effort

* Hot women are aparently such a rarity in Hungary that men who have them are willing to share

* Saving the life of a Nazi is a bad idea, especially if you are Jewish

* Listening to depressing music can be hazardous to your health

* Never p**s off the chef

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Hungarian suicide song « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.