Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:01:53 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  One Trick Pony Actors « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: One Trick Pony Actors  (Read 20642 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 09:33:11 PM »

It took this long for someone to mention Keanu Reeves?

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
raj

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 02:50:27 PM »

I'll echo Tom  Cruise.  Except for Risky Business, he's basically been playing Tom Cruise.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 07:39:07 PM »

I've never understood the appeal of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Goofy stupid sitcom, plenty of people like them, just never could see why people liked that one. Hell, I have a soft spot for Charles In Charge for some stupid reason. Will Smith has more range than he usually shows, remember Six Degrees of Separation? But I couldn't stand him in Ali, the real man was such a presence and personality in his prime that any attempt to portray him was doomed IMO.

Wasn't Bela considered a rather versatile and talented actor in Europe? Working in a language alien to him must have hampered him. Look at Penelope Cruz, apparently a great actress in Spanish or even Italian, but awful in English. But no one was watching Bandidas for the brilliant acting, I now I wasn't.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 10:16:17 PM »

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Neville

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 05:49:43 PM »

Look at Penelope Cruz, apparently a great actress in Spanish or even Italian, but awful in English. But no one was watching Bandidas for the brilliant acting, I now I wasn't.

I'm an Spaniard, and I wouldn't say she's much good, but now and then she gets juicier roles than usual and really gives her best shot, such as in "To return" or "Don't move". I'd say she is tolerable in Spanish movies, but by no means a great actress.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 07:46:35 PM »

Look at Penelope Cruz, apparently a great actress in Spanish or even Italian, but awful in English. But no one was watching Bandidas for the brilliant acting, I now I wasn't.

I'm an Spaniard, and I wouldn't say she's much good, but now and then she gets juicier roles than usual and really gives her best shot, such as in "To return" or "Don't move". I'd say she is tolerable in Spanish movies, but by no means a great actress.

Someone on a celebrity gossip site I frequent once said that her voice makes them want to burn down villages.  I don't think she's all that bad, there are much worse accents, and she probably sounds much better in Spanish.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Neville

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 03:32:34 AM »

She does sound better in Spanish. As I said, not Meryl Streep nor Glen Close, but she is far more natural than in her acting in English.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2007, 05:00:06 PM »

Heres one that I think was extremely successful, Clint Eastwood.  Squint and talk in a low voice about everything.   

One that doesn't work for me is David Caruso.  Talk in a low voice and slant your head alot. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Neville

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »

In my "Dirty Harry" DVD there's a short documentary on the entire series, and at one point one of the writers appears and says that Eastwood told him he was bad with dialogue and good with stares, and he urged him to act accordingly. As they say, "a man's gotta know his limitations."

As for Caruso, I used to like him, but since "CSI: Miami" I'm developing some Caruso hatred. It may be the character's fault, you know. He's so cold and distant with his peers that it manages to suggest some kind of reptilian quality, and the way he confronts criminals and witnesses has made me label him Grand Inquisitor Kane. Not to mention his tendency to mix public and personal business or to use his gun more often than Dirty Harry.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 05:16:27 PM by Neville » Logged

Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2007, 06:15:18 PM »

I'll defer to you, Neville, as to Cruz's acting in Spanish. I know she was getting good notices for Volver, and her performance was being hailed as a return (no pun intended) to doing good work in Spanish language cinema. Then again maybe the reviewers here were just lusting after her cleavage and the padded backside she wore in the film.

Also on other sites I've been to when people rip into her acting in English, people would leap to her defense citing her much better acting chops in her native language.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 02:48:11 PM »

A classic one-trick actor would be Tony Danza.

Anyone ever watch something of his where he doesn't play a guy named Tony?

Thought so.

In Hollywood Knights he plays Duke. It's a good movie, one of my favorites (at least one of my favorite comedies).
When I was a kid, me and some of my friends argued about how realistic it was for Duke's 57 Chevy to lose to the AC Cobra. As much as I love 57 Chevys, it didn't stand a chance. . .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2022, 12:37:55 PM »

Surprised to see Robin Williams mentioned on this list. Always felt he had a pretty broad range myself. I'd have loved to see him do some more horror (beyond One Hour Photo).

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Neville

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2022, 01:24:01 PM »

I'll defer to you, Neville, as to Cruz's acting in Spanish. I know she was getting good notices for Volver, and her performance was being hailed as a return (no pun intended) to doing good work in Spanish language cinema.

I find her... OK in Spanish. She certainly has the looks of a movie star, but I'm not that convinced on her versatility. I can't say she's bad, even in her worst movies, but I'm not that impressed with her either. There's one thing she's great at, though, and it's at playing angry women. There are bits of "Vicky Christina Barcelona" with her telling Javier Bardem off that had me laughing out loud.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2022, 03:35:41 PM »

Surprised to see Robin Williams mentioned on this list. Always felt he had a pretty broad range myself. I'd have loved to see him do some more horror (beyond One Hour Photo).

Well the last response is 15 years ago...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
chainsaw midget

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2022, 04:43:48 PM »

Chevy Chase tends to play "loveable everyman with a  bit of an a***ole streak" in everything he does. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  One Trick Pony Actors « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.