Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:33:13 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  US Congress now enforcers for the RIAA & MPAA? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US Congress now enforcers for the RIAA & MPAA?  (Read 4557 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: May 04, 2007, 02:46:34 PM »

Can we say "Politicians in our pocket?" This s**t is getting outrageously out of hand.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070503-congress-to-universities-curb-piracy-or-we-will-be-forced-to-act.html

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
flackbait
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 08:20:44 AM »

I agree this crap is getting ridiculous.
I still record tapes of songs I like on the radio to play on my car(I'm too cheap to buy a C.D. player for my car). They want to try to hunt down me too?
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 03:06:46 PM »

Digital Rights Management is such a mess because none of the interested parties understand the technological developments they are attempting to legislate.  But the most disturbing thing about all this legalese is that copyright infringement in any form is a civil matter, not a criminal one.  The fact that congress is considering repercussions against universities for simply "not solving the problem" is ludicrous.  But, law favors the side with money.  Haha.

Incidentally, if you've ever wondered how the RIAA quantifies the "damage" you've caused, the formula is as follows.  For every 10 individual works pirated, they estimate a loss of revenue $2500 (which comes to $250 per work).  If you decide to drive your friend to suicide by illegally pirating a Celine Dion CD with, say, 13 tracks (because nobody in their right mind would pay for that sh!t), you have allegedly cost the music industry $3250.

Numbers aside, I find it insulting to suggest I would actually have purchased everything I've pirated.  I waste more money on CDs and DVDs than almost anyone I know, and while I certainly have a few bootlegs and ill-gotten treasures in my collection, none of them are things that are 1) available for purchase or 2) things I would purchase.  Thus nobody has lost any revenue from my activities.  But I can assure the studios that if I am ever dragged into court over this, I will never buy anything from them ever again.  And over the course of my lifetime, that would likely be a substantial loss to revenue (as substantial as the contributions of any single consumer could be anyway).  Oh do I know how to hold a grudge!  Hatred

++josh;
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  US Congress now enforcers for the RIAA & MPAA? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.