Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:39:47 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent Movie Purchases « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 214
Author Topic: Recent Movie Purchases  (Read 1537654 times)
JJ80
Nutter Magnet
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #960 on: January 15, 2009, 10:16:06 PM »

The "Twelve Tasks Of Asterix" is a terrific little animated movie.

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #961 on: January 16, 2009, 08:39:06 PM »

Having watched Butterfly Effect again recently, I picked up Butterfly Effect 2 from Wal-Mart for $5.  I mainly wanted to see how much this movie really did suck, because that's all I've ever heard about it.
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #962 on: January 17, 2009, 03:50:14 AM »

went to best buy today, i usually don't, and found "the exploitation cinema collection" from bci eclipse/navarre corporation. it's got 10 discs, and 20 flicks, and it was only $19.99. oddly, dvdaf didn't have a listing for the set, just 10 listings for each double feature. also, from what i've read from a quick google search, it sounds like navarre company dropped the bci eclipse branch altogether.

the teacher, pick-up, malibu high, trip with the teacher, the beach girls, coach, hellcats, chain gang women, don't answer the phone, prime evil, superchick, hustler squad, sister street fighter, the bodyguard, dragon princess, karate warriors, black candles, evil eye, las vegas lady, and police women.

i've started straight away with hustler squad, and it's your typical low-budget "women in philipines prison" flick. this one is in full-screen, and i won't be surprised if all of them are.

besides the films being pretty corny, they've assembled them "grindhouse" fashion, with trailers for other films between the two films on each disc, and they've even used the exact "coming attractions" bumper from the planet terror/death proof double feature. sort of charming, but also sort of sleazy, and that sort of lends itself to this sort of material.

have you guys seen any of the other films in this set? which ones should i watch next?

Javakoala
« Reply #963 on: January 17, 2009, 08:57:16 AM »

I've watched most of them.  It depends on what you're looking for.  I'd highly recommend "Policewomen".  It's corny, but interesting, except for the love interest angle.

"The Teacher" is a bit of a hoot.  And "The Bodyguard" has a poorly-dubbed Sonny Chiba doing what he does best:  Beating the living sh*t out of people.  The rest...meh.  Well, "Don't Answer The Phone" is fairly sick, and if I remember right, the print they used is very crisp, considering the film was a low-budget piece of crap.
Javakoala
« Reply #964 on: January 17, 2009, 12:20:32 PM »

Five bucks at Walmart.  I couldn't pass it up, even though I'm not a big fan of kung fu movies.

ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #965 on: January 17, 2009, 12:47:45 PM »

I've watched most of them...."Don't Answer The Phone" is fairly sick, and if I remember right, the print they used is very crisp, considering the film was a low-budget piece of crap.

yeah, the trailer showed up on one of the other discs, and it looked pretty decent, for what it is. as it turns out, not all of the flicks included are full-screen, and some look much better than others. one minor complaint is, as i've checked through a couple of the discs just to see what trailers were offered, "sister street fighter" has shown up a couple of times already, and for the most part, they're just showing you trailers for other films that are elsewhere in the set. also, the theater-style intermission bumper has the something weird video "SWV" watermark right on it.

Javakoala
« Reply #966 on: January 17, 2009, 03:00:47 PM »

I've watched most of them...."Don't Answer The Phone" is fairly sick, and if I remember right, the print they used is very crisp, considering the film was a low-budget piece of crap.

yeah, the trailer showed up on one of the other discs, and it looked pretty decent, for what it is. as it turns out, not all of the flicks included are full-screen, and some look much better than others. one minor complaint is, as i've checked through a couple of the discs just to see what trailers were offered, "sister street fighter" has shown up a couple of times already, and for the most part, they're just showing you trailers for other films that are elsewhere in the set. also, the theater-style intermission bumper has the something weird video "SWV" watermark right on it.

They now acknowledge the use of the Something Weird footage in the new Exploitation Cinema line, which used to be the old Welcome To The Grindhouse line.  I like the double-feature set up they use for these movies, but if you have this set and then you want to buy the Drive-In Cult Classic 8-movie sets, you're gonna get some duplication. But the funny thing is you get to see how they packaged the movies in a different way on the other sets.

As far as BCI being wiped out in the restructure that Navarre did, I wouldn't start digging the grave yet.  When I heard about the restructuring, I wrote to them and asked if the releases scheduled for January would be out.  I got a simple reply of "At this time, probably not."  Yet I got Drive-In Cult Classics 4 shipped a couple of weeks later and everything seems to be fine as far as "Horror High" and "Nightmare In Wax" coming out in a couple of weeks.  Who knows?  The only thing I can suggest is supporting the weirdness BCI releases and notify the company you want to see more of this kind of thing.  This stuff really doesn't cost them an arm and a leg to release, and if they can see any profit possibilities, they'll keep shipping this stuff.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #967 on: January 19, 2009, 04:23:05 PM »

The Transporter
Mary Shelly's Frankenstein
Jaws
Severance
Se7en

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #968 on: January 19, 2009, 07:02:11 PM »

I foolishly went to Circuit City looking for bargains.  The selection was nothing special, and the DVDs were not exactly bargain priced - $6.99 were the chaepest I found, at 10% off.   Lookingup  Nevertheless, I purchased:

JACOB'S LADDER
KUNG FU HUSTLE
PHANTASM
THE ROAD WARRIOR/MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME Double Feature
SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW
TIME BANDITS - (weird note:  the front proudly displays "*** - Roger Ebert."  They couldn't find a **** or ***** quote for the front cover?)

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #969 on: January 20, 2009, 11:38:37 PM »

...Exploitation Cinema line, which used to be the old Welcome To The Grindhouse line...

the discs actually still carried the "grindhouse" branding in the "exploitation" boxes.

-

so, new stuff:

my bloody valentine (special edition)
the monkey hustle (yaphet kotto / rudy ray moore)
search and destroy / the glove ("drive in double feature")

now, i just want to mention that the "drive in double feature" line from dark sky films seems pretty decent. the films, from what i've seen so far, tend to be of a higher quality than the "welcome to the grindhouse" sets, for example. the approach is nearly identical, too. before each film we get some trailers, and vintage bumpers, but these are "drive-in" themed, asking us to visit the refreshment stand for hotdogs, hamburgers, etc. have snacks on hand. Wink

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #970 on: January 21, 2009, 08:23:53 AM »

Valentine - starring Kathy Heigl and Denise Richards.  Some sort of slasher, been on my wish list forever and I finally bought it.

No Contest - Posted this to the "What was that film?" board and Andrew was good enough to let me know the title.  Playboy Playmate Shannon Tweed stars in a low budget Die Hard ripoff. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #971 on: January 21, 2009, 07:55:59 PM »

Valentine - starring Kathy Heigl and Denise Richards.

i remember when that film came out, there was an SNL sketch making fun of the odd assortment of band's names that appeared on the soundtrack.

WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #972 on: January 23, 2009, 09:20:24 AM »

Tokyo Gore Police

I just ordered it. Once I have it, I'm gonna post a review on Bearded Weirdo Reviews.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #973 on: January 23, 2009, 07:31:04 PM »

Striptease
Star Trek III The Search for Spock
Star Trek IV The Voyage Home
Ruthless People
Sexy Beast
Die You Zombie Bastards
Vampyres
Total Recal
lThe Golden Compass.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #974 on: January 24, 2009, 11:05:38 AM »

I bought the new MY BLOODY VALENTINE dvd about a week ago EXTACTIC because i thought that it was the COMPLETELY uncut version with all 9 minuetes of cut footage put back in but i found out recently that it only has 3 min. put back in. LIONSGATE SHALL FEEL MY WRATH!!!!! Hatred Hatred

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 214
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent Movie Purchases « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.