Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:13:27 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Kid movies that aren't. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Kid movies that aren't.  (Read 14343 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 08:01:36 PM »

Where did I insult anyone?

The following is insulting, as you dismiss the other gent's opinion because he has not done anything worthwhile for animation (per your reasoning).  I would take offense to it.  Heck, I take offense to someone who uses that sort of reasoning. 

you, on the other hand, have done, well, nothing.

I can respect that your opinion is Bakshi did not come off as full of himself.  To me, he did. 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 08:15:33 PM »

Larry Clark is obsessed with showing teenage characters f**king. I've only seen one of his movies, Teenage Caveman (absolutely one of the worst films I've ever seen), and what I gathered from that and descriptions of his other films such as Kids and Ken Park is that he is completely obsessed with directing scenes of teenagers f**king. That's his thing.

"Kids" was disturbing to me.  I did not find it particularly "real," it was just exploitation and of the sort that made me uncomfortable.

I can also agree with you on "Teenage Caveman" (the remake).  This is copied and pasted from an earlier post I made about it, but I think it perfectly states a major problem I had with the movie:

Awful film.  Whoever wrote the script could not come up with any dialog, so they just have the characters say, "F**k." over and over.

Quite the opposite of the original.  The script was at least trying for something, besides just saying, "They're teenagers - make them full of angst and out of control."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Torgo

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 08:23:38 PM »

To the best of my memory, I recall them marketing the original Gremlins as a cute and cudly kids film.

I was 9 when it came out and my mom took my 2 older sisters (12 and 15 at the time) to go see the first Gremlins and she was horrified by how twisted and at times comically dark the movie was.

I think they ended up updating the marketing because there were tons of parents voicing complains against the film being something different than what it was marketed as.

The gremlin in the microwave really disgusted her.  I thought it was hilarious even then.   TeddyR
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 08:29:57 PM by Torgo » Logged

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
MoronBoy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 08:26:02 PM »

Gremlins, the reason the rating PG-13 came to be.
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 08:30:43 PM »

That and Indiana Jones + the Temple of Doom.  Mustn't forget the removal of a still-beating heart.  Haha.

If memory serves it was the bad movie opus Red Dawn which was the first movie actually released with a PG-13 rating.  Gotta love Breakfast Club VS Communism!

++josh;
Torgo

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 08:31:03 PM »

Along with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Poltergeist.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Susan
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2007, 10:11:42 PM »

Along with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Poltergeist.

Lest we not forget....Red Dawn
WOLVERIIIIIINES! lol

Of course the whole rating system is another topic to be had.  It's funny to think Spielberg made Jaws a PG film and 10 years later his kids movie with mischevious little puppets gets a PG-13
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 10:20:35 PM by Susan » Logged
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 01:45:12 AM »

Buggedout

Jamie Uys, the South African filmmaker famous for The Gods Must Be Crazy made a film entitled Dirkie in 1969. Also known as Lost In The Desert, it involved a young boy and his grandfather flying over the Kalahari. The grandfather has a coronary and dies, the plane crashes and the young boy and his dog are left to fend for themselves until they are rescued by a Bushman / San tribe and the boy's father later finds them.

One horrific scene, the boy is looking for his dog and the San give him some meat ~ the boy freaks, thinking they have killed his dog.  Buggedout

Marketed as a movie for his younger fans, Jamie only succeeded in scaring them out of their wits.

The film is available for purchase from www.kalahari.net
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 02:46:27 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
akiratubo

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2007, 06:51:16 AM »

The Garbage Pail Kids Movie

Needs no explanation.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2007, 07:03:36 AM »

The Garbage Pail Kids Movie

I've actually found that people, now in their twenties, that watched Garbage Pail Kids when they were young are much more likely to have developed an irrevocably morbid sense of humor than those who didn't (thus making them much more my kind of people!).  It's true; I conducted an informal poll among the customers at the video store I used to run.  The film certainly doesn't operate on the typical wavelengths of children's programming, but I think it has just enough guttural humor to draw them into its web and alter their psyches.  Kind of like William Castle did for older generations.

'Course if I were a parent I'd take Garbage Pail Kids over misogynistic Princess Diaries-type schlock any day.

++josh;
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2007, 10:03:31 AM »

'Course if I were a parent I'd take Garbage Pail Kids over misogynistic Princess Diaries-type schlock any day.

The sh!t kids watch these days is appalling. Well, the stuff girls watch anyway. It's either crap reaffirming the "find a husband and be a good wife" philosophy or the "dress like trash and live a life of whoring and materialism" opposite. I don't think I'd want to raise a daughter in this day and age because of the god awful messages being thrown at them everyday. Let's not forget that cell phone commercial with the brat talking in IM shorthand and throwing a fit because her mom doesn't want to pay $100/month so she can text inane bs to her friend that she could just as easily talk to like a human being...

Yeah, I'd give my kids GPK over Bratz or Winx Club any day. Good thing I picked up the animated series DVD for just such preperation.  TeddyR

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Hunky Magoo
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2007, 07:21:40 PM »

Potergeist, it was rated PG but it was way too disturbing for kids. Its the only one that still creeps me out horror movie wise. From the Face peeling to the clown pulling the boy under the bed doing god know what he's doing (possibly raping him) even The Way the parents acted around each other scared me. I will never think of Donald Ducks Voice the same way again

Trivia: The Film was originally R but got the rating changed on appeal to PG

Oh listen Tender Lumplings let me take you by the hands.
I'll take you from this hell-hole to the Promised Land.
But don't blame me, oh children, if those promises don't keep.
'Cause promises like lives, can be bought so very cheap.
EricDaNerd
New Visitor

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 12:27:24 AM »

My vote is for willy wonka because it's not very clear whether the naughty kids live or not and also that scene near the end when Wonka is yelling at charlie and telling him he lost for stealing.  Wilder's acting is so intense...it definitely scared me as a kid.
Hunky Magoo
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2007, 02:01:49 PM »

I use to have this great animated picture from the shining when hes chopping the door down but Jacks face is replaced with Willy Wonkas and when he sticks he head in the hole he says YOU GET NOTHING! lmao. I like to think he killed the kids

Oh listen Tender Lumplings let me take you by the hands.
I'll take you from this hell-hole to the Promised Land.
But don't blame me, oh children, if those promises don't keep.
'Cause promises like lives, can be bought so very cheap.
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2007, 03:23:50 PM »

I think Harry Potter is starting to get pretty damn badass. And some of Doctor Who is a bit much for the kiddies.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Kid movies that aren't. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.