Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:10:59 PM
714221 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  What have you been listening to? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 966
Author Topic: What have you been listening to?  (Read 2675004 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1800 on: March 24, 2008, 06:12:49 PM »

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #1801 on: March 24, 2008, 07:35:30 PM »

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
redsneaker
Dedicated Viewer

Malcolm, get me my hypo-gun - quickly!

« Reply #1802 on: March 24, 2008, 08:18:25 PM »

Juno - Soundtrack
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Gackt-Diabolos
Bugsy Malone- Soundtrack
Queensryche - old stuff

"Strange and unexplained events are occuring."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1803 on: March 24, 2008, 08:48:34 PM »

I watched the film Godspell yesterday, the first time I've seen it.  Good flick, and it was kinda cool seeing a young Lynne Thigpin before she became known as an actress. 
I saw a bit of it, too.  Please note that the film soundtrack is altered from the original off-broadway show, with a new song added, and at least one original song protracted. 

STOOGES Raw Power; I listen to this just about everyday, which is saying a lot:

I was reading about that, with the soundtrack and the missing song.  Never saw it on Broadway or anything, but felt the movie was good.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1804 on: March 24, 2008, 09:16:49 PM »

I almost never end up liking dissonant free jazz, but every now and then I try a new album, thinking this time will be different.
Maybe next time.
Rev. Powell, I rarely have that opportunity anymore; if I pick it up, I know what it is.  Don't even have time but to pursue the many corridors of what I already love.  However, it is true that I have a stack of found CDs in my garage nearly as high as my head that I pick from occasionally, and those are mostly unknown or uninteresting artists to me... but y'never know, do you? 

For me this syndrome comes from the way digital downloading has changed the way I explore music.  I rarely buy CDs anymore.  I can sample almost everything on the Internet, download or preview a track or 2.  Nowadays I explore stuff I never would have been able to hear on the radio in the olden days (meaning the 1990s).  Free jazz, in particular, is something that tends to sound great to me in 30 second previews, and seems like a value because the tracks are so long.  Yet it always seems to disappoint when I hear the entire piece.  Still, I'm not out a load of cash as if I paid for a full CD.

I take many more chances on new music now, and listen to much more obscure stuff than I used to when I was a CD collector!  Sometimes I fear I'm neglecting the classics, and the major label releases.  But they don't need my patronage. 

For example, today I listened to

Jenny Scheinman - 12 Songs

Sample: The Buoy Song

Recommended by a friend, and the album was available to stream for free on last.fm.  It's on an experimental jazz label, but it's highly composed rather than improvised.  Very nice, mostly violin, guitar, clarinet and percussion, and reminiscent of attempts of American composers to capture the feel of American folk songs in light classical style.       

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1805 on: March 24, 2008, 10:09:45 PM »

For me this syndrome comes from the way digital downloading has changed the way I explore music.  I rarely buy CDs anymore.  I can sample almost everything on the Internet, download or preview a track or 2.  Nowadays I explore stuff I never would have been able to hear on the radio in the olden days (meaning the 1990s).  Free jazz, in particular, is something that tends to sound great to me in 30 second previews, and seems like a value because the tracks are so long.  Yet it always seems to disappoint when I hear the entire piece.  Still, I'm not out a load of cash as if I paid for a full CD.
Sounds like a great way to explore.  I'm not against it for myself except in the sense I'm a bit anti-tech and was an old long-time LP buyer.  Now, with the CDs, it's about obscurity in many cases and replacing LPs (since most of the CDs I own I bought many years ago before downloading) but also about liner notes, if you can believe that.  Notation is sometimes carried along and not edited from original issues, which is always of interest to me. 

...Jenny Scheinman - 12 Songs... Very nice, mostly violin, guitar, clarinet and percussion, and reminiscent of attempts of American composers to capture the feel of American folk songs in light classical style. 
I think I heard some of JENNY SCHEINMAN on one of our satellite stations thru DirecTV.  Violin is unusual in Jazz, and one of the few contexts for that instrument that I love
Do you listen to the West Coast Cool School (my caps) type of jazz...?  See if you can sample MODERN JAZZ QUARTET
I just put on MJQ Django

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1806 on: March 25, 2008, 08:32:19 AM »

Sheik Yerbouti by Frank Zappa

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #1807 on: March 25, 2008, 10:54:55 AM »

SHOCK. an 80's punk band.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1808 on: March 25, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »

Listening to the best springtime album that I know, probably FRANK SINATRA's best, Only The Lonely 

Torgo

« Reply #1809 on: March 25, 2008, 04:05:59 PM »

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1810 on: March 25, 2008, 07:40:35 PM »

NEIL YOUNG Decade... this is a great place to start with NEIL or to get most of his best early songs all in one package (it's 35 tracks). 

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1811 on: March 25, 2008, 08:33:43 PM »

Now, with the CDs, it's about obscurity in many cases and replacing LPs (since most of the CDs I own I bought many years ago before downloading) but also about liner notes, if you can believe that.  Notation is sometimes carried along and not edited from original issues, which is always of interest to me. 

Yeah, liner notes are the one thing I miss from physical CDs/LPs.  (I miss extensive album art from LPs, as well, but I can do without it).  Some things I will buy a physical copy of just because I want the notes. 

Do you listen to the West Coast Cool School (my caps) type of jazz...?  See if you can sample MODERN JAZZ QUARTET

I love West Coast jazz, especially Dave Brubeck.  Also love the MJQ, although I don't have as much from them as I should. 

In a totally different vein, though, now listening to

David Kilgour - A Feather in the Engine

Sample: Today is Gonna Be Mine

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1812 on: March 25, 2008, 09:10:45 PM »

JUDY GARLAND That Old Feeling; JUDY's never not good...to keep my own quote from being stolen somewhere: "She's the artist who keeps giving." 

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1813 on: March 25, 2008, 09:18:57 PM »

I love West Coast jazz, especially Dave Brubeck. 
Again urge SAMMY DAVIS Sings, LAURINDO ALMEIDA Plays and JUNE CHRISTY (particularly Something Cool and This Time Of Year, the latter her best record, hands down.) 

Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #1814 on: March 25, 2008, 09:33:07 PM »

Currently in my CD case:
Oakhelm - "Betwixt and Between"  Ignoring the silly title, a fantastic folk/Viking/black metal band from, surprisingly enough, the U.S.

Murder By Death - "Red of Tooth and Claw" Imagine Nick Cave by way of Johnny Cash doing  rockabilly and sea shanties.  Introduced to them on the most recent Clutch tour.  Fantastic.

Melechesh - "Djinn" The sophomore release from the lords of Middle Eastern black metal.  One of my favorite bands of all time.

Tanglefoot - "Saturday Night in Hardwood Lake" Second major release from a fairly prolific Canadian folk band.  Another of my all-time favorites, and a blast to see live.

Behemoth - "Demigod"  Ever wonder what pure hatred would sound like if it were music?  This is it.

Devin Townsend Band - "Accelerated Evolution"  Devin Townsend is talented on an inhuman level.  Another prog-metal masterpiece from his amazing catalog.

Korpiklaani - "Tervaskanto"  The soundtrack to a Viking barfight, complete with fiddles, flutes, and yoiking.

Nile - "Annihilation of the Wicked" Ridiculously fast and heavy technical death metal meets the History Channel.  Frontman/guitarist/songwriter Karl Sanders is an Egyptology buff, and the lyrics are all based in the history and mythology of that land.  One of the few metal bands you can actually learn something from.

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 966
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  What have you been listening to? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.