Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:08:28 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Wannabe Spinoffs « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Wannabe Spinoffs  (Read 26953 times)
Menard
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2007, 05:17:00 PM »

Anyone remember the episode of The Brady Bunch that focused on a neigbor couple that adopted three boys from an oprhanage - one white, one black and one Asian? That one seemed like a backdoor pilot.

I remember that episode. You are right, it does fit.
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 05:51:39 PM »

Anyone remember the episode of The Brady Bunch that focused on a neigbor couple that adopted three boys from an oprhanage - one white, one black and one Asian? That one seemed like a backdoor pilot.

I remember that episode. You are right, it does fit.

Is that where all the celebrities racing around the world to create their own Benetton ad families got the idea?    BounceGiggle

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 06:38:25 PM »

The Jeffersons  and Maude were spinoffs featuring characters from All in the Family. Good Times was a spinoff of Maude.

Isn't the term for episodes of shows like this "backdoor pilot"?

The Rockford Files did this with an episode featuring Isaac Hayes and Louis Gossett Jr. I wish that one had gone forward, it was a fun episode, and those two had good chemistry doing the old "feuding partners who don't see eye to eye" thing. I think they wanted to spin off Tom Selleck's Lance White character at one time, but his appearences there did lead to Magnum PI being developed. Wasn't there an episode with Dennis Duggan as a computer whiz that seemed like a potential spinoff?

Why do I remember these things? I should have been studying foreign languaged rather than filling my head with this stuff. Or learning new job skills. Or something.

His appearances did get Selleck the part of Magnum, but Magnum wasn't made by the same production company.  Dennis Dugan did play his Rockford character in 5 episodes of Richie Brockelman Private Eye.

Beverly Hill Buntz  was a spinoff  of Hill Street Blues that featured Dennis Franz (Detective Norman Buntz) and Peter Jurasik's (Sid the snitch) characters. It was done as a 30 minute comedy and lasted 13 episodes.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Raffine

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 11:58:53 PM »

The Jeffersons  and Maude were spinoffs featuring characters from All in the Family

Speaking of All in the Family spinoffs, there was a very short-lived spinoff titled Gloria with Sally Struthers and lil' Joey moving in with a veterinarian played by Burgess Meredith. I remember the perky theme song ended with Struthers chirping "Don't worry, Joey! We're gonna be O.K.!"   But they weren't, of course...  TongueOut

There were a couple of episodes toward the end of Sanford and Son that focused on Aunt Ester, her husband Woody, and their newly adopted teenage son set in their hardware store that definitely felt like they were testing the waters for a spinoff. I hazily remember a spinoff for Grady (I think he moved in with his daughter and her uptight husband) that lasted maybe an episode or two. Great gobblety gook!

Why do I remember these things? I should have been studying foreign languaged rather than filling my head with this stuff. Or learning new job skills. Or something.

I can remember watching Grady almost thirty years ago but I have trouble remembering my phone number. This is NOT a new thing for me: when I was in high school and missed more than a couple of days in a row I always had to go to the main office to get my locker combination again.

We are a rare breed, we are.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 12:09:07 AM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
nada
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 08:58:38 AM »

They were going to make a spinoff of the Jynx character from Die Another Day. Don't know what happened with that.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 09:53:26 PM »

There was an episode of Murder She Wrote featuring Bill Maher and apparently Faith Ford, one of their characters was supposed to be the nephew or niece of JB Fletcher. They were a young couple trying to solve the possible murder/disappearance of an "Uncle Charlie" (I think). Very whimsical in tone, as opposed to the blandness of the regular episodes. Angela Landsbury was only in a few minutes of the show (maybe even by phone calls scenes, it has been a while), so I'm certain this was an attempted spinoff. For some reason I used to run across this one particular episode in reruns all the time when USA used to show MSW, I rarely watched that show.

Wasn't there a Facts of Life where Tootie (and maybe Natalie) visited a cousin or relative who was a newlywed, that one seemed like a spinoff attempt also.

And I seem to recall a Cosby Show episode with Tony Orlando running a community center that was a pilot. IMDB says it was but nothing became of it.

Raffine, I can actually recall the combination to the lock I had to buy for my junior high locker. Can't recall any other locker combination I've ever had. I haven't had that lock since I gave it to my sister over ten years ago, but I could open it on the first try if you put it in my hands this minute. Completely useless, just like being able to remember show promos for ABC shows from when I was a kid. TJ Hooker? Hardcastle and McCormick? 240 Robert? I can even recall watching at least two episodes of SuperTrain when I was little, so I can recall useless memories and info, AND I had no taste as a kid.

Edited because I'm too lazy to do it right the first time.......
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 10:07:59 PM by Yaddo 42 » Logged

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
StackAttack
Dedicated Viewer

I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 09:29:04 AM »

speaking of The Cosby Show, I know that A Different World was a spinoff of that popular show with the middle huxtable girl going to college and the show following here as she went. i think she left the show after the first season too and did Angel Heart at some point. i heard bill cosby was really unhappy with her because the spinoff show was his idea and he pulled to get it made so she could be a big name and she just turned her back on it.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 09:24:20 AM »

Married With Children had several of those.  In one Kelly was dating some guy, and the spinoff was going to be about this guy and his girlfriend.  Another had the neighbors, Marcy and Steve Rhodes, working at Trulaine University.  Bud Bundy was a radio DJ there.  I think there was a third spinoff episode as well.  They all sucked really, REALLY bad.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
BTB
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 12:30:13 PM »

As for backdoor pilots I remember in Starsky and Hutch,
 the Detecctive Agency of Huggybear,

lots of Backdoors in Married with Children we had that college radio, matt leblanc with his father in two episodes

Gilmore girls, Chaz and his father

Macguyver also had some friends trying to solve crimes

And the whole last season of the Cosby show looked like it was made entirely from backdoor pilots, because the original cast only seemed to have cameos in this series inhibited by characters never before seen.

To have no ideas and to express them
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 11:48:23 PM »

Recall a few episodes of the Cosby Show focused on Theo as a teacher,

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
byanychance
New Visitor

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 07:29:15 AM »

speaking of The Cosby Show, I know that A Different World was a spinoff of that popular show with the middle huxtable girl going to college and the show following here as she went. i think she left the show after the first season too and did Angel Heart at some point. i heard bill cosby was really unhappy with her because the spinoff show was his idea and he pulled to get it made so she could be a big name and she just turned her back on it.

I thought it was because she was starting to have a "bad girl" image (in lack of a better and less-corny word).

She's hot.

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Wannabe Spinoffs « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.