Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:14:58 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  "karma points" biz... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: "karma points" biz...  (Read 25848 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« on: May 04, 2007, 07:32:27 PM »

Im slightly intrigued by the concepy of "karma points" on this board, thats something Ive never come across before. at the time of writing this, I appear to have 4 karma points. I dont know who gave them to me, or why... is it some sort of unwritten secret code that if you see a post by someone and you really think they gave some kind of useful or radical input then you give them a karma point? but do you tell them though..do you say "yo word, Ive clicked on your karma status buddy"... or would that be embarrassing and out of place? to be honest it makes no bones with me if my karma goes into minus figures, in fact that would in some ways be better than having 4 plus points. this is "bad" movie.com after all, do we like villains or what. turn me into a -52 karma points having freak, damnit!

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Susan
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 07:41:24 PM »

I don't think much of it, i've been on this board for years, made thousands of post and have 26 karma points.

apparently my posts aren't very enlightening..lol Twirling
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 08:39:18 PM »

yeah but to my knowledge it only came in when the board got overhauled about 2 months ago...

hmmm.

would you like another karma point, susan?

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 08:40:55 PM »

I think that WyreWizard has a patent for negative karma.

In general, the karma system is just something for us all to have fun with.  If it ever hurts the board, I would remove it.  Besides, I sort of like watching Menard and Ash go ballistic when someone boos them.

There might be a mod for this new version of the forum that makes it so people actually leave behind a comment when they change your karma.  Stuff like "Funny post - you made me laugh" or "Yur r3t@rd3d!"  Eh, maybe the latter example is a poor one.

Susan, I think you were away when the karma system was turned on and have not been on as much until lately.  You certainly have been here a long time.  I wouldn't worry much about it in the light of that.  It is not as if we had "Susan is not here!" parties while you were away.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 08:42:55 PM »

It is not as if we had "Susan is not here!" parties while you were away.

Quick, hide the booze and streamers!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 09:05:28 PM »

I wouldn't say there's "an unwritten secret code" but certain courtesies seem to have developed around when points are awarded.

Seeking negative karma points usually involves behavior that gets the word "troll" thrown around, or just being belligerent or fixated in the tone of your posts. Andrew has a point, do a search for topics started by WyreWizard sometime, who has a style all his own.

If you really don't care about it, then follow Susan's lead and ignore it. I'm honestly surprised sometimes when I gain points and it's not explained why to me. I've lost a few points along the way, I'm guessing for jokes I've made that maybe offended some other posters. Again I was surprised, but it didn't break my heart, just reminded me that there are some subjects that are touchy for other people.

And I thought we drank so much we blacked out and forgot that we had "Susan is not here!" parties?

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Susan
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 09:09:33 PM »

I
Susan, I think you were away when the karma system was turned on and have not been on as much until lately.  You certainly have been here a long time.  I wouldn't worry much about it in the light of that.  It is not as if we had "Susan is not here!" parties while you were away.

that's not what i heard  TongueOut
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 01:44:54 AM »

I think I gave negative Karma twice...once to wille and once to a salesman....
I can't understand how I got so many...I guess being a babbling fool is a karma freindly.

Lotsa times I'll just be reading along,and bust out laffing at something,or see a cool picture,and give karma points..lotta times I don't say why,cuz I can't really don't know how to explain why I find certain things funny or interesting.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 02:00:38 AM »

I haven't been 'booed' in awhile as I seemed to have mellowed a bit lately.

Usually, I only give karma when something makes me laugh out loud.   BounceGiggle
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 12:27:16 AM by Ash » Logged
dean

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 02:24:28 AM »

I usually use the karma as a tool when I think there's been a particularly good post or a good point being made [or the flipside of course]

I give it sporadically, but it's a handy tool for essentially giving a digital pat on the back for a job well done.

Incidentally I'm also one of the ones who raises and lowers Ash/Menards Karma for laughs when the situation arises, but always restore them to their rightful place, since I'm a guilty son-of-a...   TeddyR

Of course then there's the truly awful posts that deserve good karma: smutty humour, bad lines etc. 

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Menard
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 05:48:16 AM »

If you can pick it up, you can eat it.

Guess what I'm thinking
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 06:06:13 AM »

BounceGiggle

I don't even know how to display the "applaud" / "boo hiss" things underneath my avatar but people still give me karma.

I actually feel sorry for WyreWizard and was thinking about giving him a positive karma a day for the next 10 days, then he'll at least have a 0 karma.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 06:09:43 AM »

Guess what I'm thinking

That somehow a post I meant for another thread ended up in this one?  Weirdness, I will move it over now.

Trevor, none of us can see our own applaud/boo,hiss links. 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Menard
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 06:20:49 AM »

I actually feel sorry for WyreWizard and was thinking about giving him a positive karma a day for the next 10 days, then he'll at least have a 0 karma.

That would actually disappoint Wee Willie. He is an attention seeker who gets a kick out of his negative karma; not to mention that he has totally earned it.
Menard
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 06:22:54 AM »

Guess what I'm thinking

That somehow a post I meant for another thread ended up in this one?  Weirdness, I will move it over now. 

But it's context was so interesting in this thread. TeddyR
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  "karma points" biz... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.