Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:26:11 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  SPIDER-MAN 3 « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: SPIDER-MAN 3  (Read 21209 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 06:08:11 PM »

My wife, daughter and I caught it yesterday.  I went into it with low expectations after reading the somewhat lackluster reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised.  I think I actually like it better than the first two.

I loved Thomas Haden Church as Sandman.  He seriously looked the part of Flint Marko and the special effects with his character were superb.

I also really liked Topher Grace as Venom.  His character was suitably sleazy and he fit in quite well.  I think I could actually see him as Spiderman.

Also liked Bryce Dallas Howard here despite loathing her in most of the other films I had seen her in.  She's never really struck me as being that good of an actress but she does quite a good job here and is gorgeous.

My wife and I both cheered at Stan Winston and Bruce Campbell's cameos.  The others in the theater had no idea why we were cheering....what a sad sad world.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Torgo

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 06:13:13 PM »

My wife and I both cheered at Stan Winston and Bruce Campbell's cameos.  The others in the theater had no idea why we were cheering....what a sad sad world.

All of the people I went to see Spidey 3 just let out a single "BRUCE!" when he appeared on screen.  We didn't plan it and it just kind of happened.    TeddyR

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 06:59:13 PM »

Have you seen The Man With The Screaming Brain yet?  Ted Raimi has a starring role in that one. While not a good movie by any means, it's entertaining and a must for fans of Ted Raimi Bruce Campbell.

But of course!  Haha.  It was great seeing Ted as a major character for a change and his "robot" dance was priceless.  I had a lot of fun with Screaming Brain, but there was a small voice in the back of my head nagging me throughout, muttering something along the lines of, "Why did they make this?"  But luckily I only listen to the first three voices in my head at any one time.

++josh;
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 07:04:19 PM »

I loved Thomas Haden Church as Sandman.  He seriously looked the part of Flint Marko and the special effects with his character were superb.

For some reason I've always loved Thomas Haden Church.  He was marvelously smarmy in Demon Knight.  Hell, I even sat through a season of Ned and Stacey!  Haha.  And I agree he was great as Sandman.

++josh;
Torgo

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 07:27:38 PM »

For some reason I've always loved Thomas Haden Church.  He was marvelously smarmy in Demon Knight.  Hell, I even sat through a season of Ned and Stacey!  Haha.  And I agree he was great as Sandman.
Don't forget his hilarious turn in Sideways.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
daveblackeye15

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 08:30:23 PM »

The only things I dislike were *spoilers*

MJ got kidnapped again.

Not enough Venom. Now I'm not a Venom fan boy, I'm a fan of Venom when he's done right. And Venom was different but done very well in this movie. Tropher Grace rocks, he was crazy but in the quiet way.

I loved Harry Osborn, he made a great villain. They did Sandman justice too, one of my faves. One of the best scenes is when he starts to reform himself for the first time after getting his powers.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 09:33:53 PM »

I guess I'm not as disappointed in Venom as most people seem to be.  Probably because he was introduced in Spider-Man comics after I stopped collecting them.  I was into Spider-Man (and most Marvel Comics) from around 1970 to the mid 1980s or so.  Now I buy back issues on Ebay or at comic book stores from time-to-time, but I mostly buy issues from the 1960s and 70s.  I could relate to the Sandman because he showed up quite a bit in the comics I used to read (I remember him in some nice battles with other superheroes like the Fantastic Four and the Hulk back in those days).  I don't know much about Venom.  (In fact, I don't think I have ever read a comic with Venom in it . . . but I'm sure I have a few in my collection that I bought in some mixed lots on Ebay).  So, for me, he wasn't a disappointment in the movie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
venomx
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2007, 11:17:56 PM »

To Burgomaster ... Cool well If you dont know who Venom is yet then read up them comics friend. You will like the Venom sagas. Well if your pro Spider-Man then maybe not ... Did you know Venom has an offspring too? Thats Carnage. Trust me on this one not even Spider-Man and Venom together can ... wait ... I will let you find out on your own  Thumbup Good stuff there. You say Venoms not a disappointment to you and thats cool. After you read up on him you will see why lots of fans are saying what the hell is going on here? thats all ... And yes Sandman did look cool in this flim they did get that right on. Heres a pic of Carnage for you. I hope you dig them comics up soon your missing out. To - daveblackeye15 Venom was way too weak in this movie. Harry Osborn was a joke. Tropher Grace did play his own part good but hes not a good Brock. edit - comic fact "Venom possesses all Spider-Man's powers and even greater strength". PS the lines in this movie almost made me want to take my own life - joking lol. The lines are so lame !!!

Burgomaster Im not sure on this but if you like Hulk I think there was a comic with Venom fighting him once.
edit - Yep there was .. http://img15.photobucket.com/albums/v44/guyverjay/Hulk_vs_Venom_12.jpg cool I did not know that.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 12:35:05 AM by venomx » Logged
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2007, 11:52:29 PM »

- comic fact "Venom possesses all Spider-Man's powers and even greater strength".

Which is precisely why you can't have Venom running around in a Spiderman movie.  For the cinematic elements to play correctly you need balance.  Venom is overwhelmingly powerful compared to Spiderman and he'd steal the show.  It'd be kind of like putting Godzilla in one of Universal's Mummy movies.  Somehow that pile of ancient Egyptian rags would seem a little less scary...

++josh;
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 12:02:08 AM »

Yeah, but that's why you give Venom weaknesses like fire and soundwaves, so the heroes have something to fall back on when hitting him in the face with a cement block repeatedly won't do the job. It's the same way in the comics as it was in the movie. If you make a character without any weakness or exploitable flaws then you're stuck with someone who's so unstoppable that they're boring as f*ck. Case in point: Superman. By Jack Kirby's hollowed eye sockets, I f*cking hate Superman... it's amazing how common Kryptonite is... bullsh!t...

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
venomx
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2007, 12:06:04 AM »

Good point Im not saying your wrong. But balance? Why did Sam Raimi even put Venom in it then right? ... Like you said Godzilla in a Mummy movie lets make Godzilla small and weak ... no you cant do that to Godzilla. But I see your point with balance. well Sam Raimi enjoy the good life after making your flim for 10 yr olds and people that dont even know what a symbiote is ... it sucks to me anyway as a big Venom fan. Let me be the Director for the next movie if there is one. Then I will show Fair balance when ManSpider I mean Spiderman takes on true Carnage  Thumbup I need to stop I think I like Venom a little too much lol. Im gona go watch Super Mario Bros the movie now to get my mind off of this ... That was a Joke much like the pumpkin bomb killing an overwhelmingly powerful Venom.

"I like being bad! It makes me happy!"

« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 12:30:51 AM by venomx » Logged
dean

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2007, 08:53:50 AM »

Well Venomx, if you like Venom so much you'd remember that his two weaknesses were sound and fire, so whilst Osborn may be a hardy fellow, fire would certainly be a pain in  Venom's ass.

I agree though that he was under-used, almost criminally so.  There was a very big opportunity for him to be very menacing, but it wasn't used well enough at all.

*Spoiler*

Him teaming up with Sandman was kind of pointless and really only served to make it so that Harry and Peter could team up and 'save each other' in the end.  Whilst the end result was cool, it would have been nicer to have a bit more of Venom causing havoc first.

*End Spoiler*

I did like Harry's role, and his storyline, and I also liked Topher Grace.  The way I see it was that they needed to polish up a few parts of the film.  It wouldn't have been hard to tell the same story, and satisfy [but still probably p**s off] the hardcore fan-boys.  Spidey 2 was probably, in my mind, the best structured, but I couldn't help but like the good moments in Spidey 3 more.

Oh and the first time I saw it [that's right, I just came back from a second screening] at that packed cinema of Myspace crazies: Bruce Campbell got a huge cheer, as did Ol' J.Jonah Jameson and Ted Raimi.  Great fun that was...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
StackAttack
Dedicated Viewer

I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2007, 09:19:58 AM »

i saw it and i liked it a lot. i always liked reading spiderman comics growing up because he was a teen hero and therefore we could identify with him better than guys like batman or superman who had always been shown as adults with the exception of superboy who was just stupid and pointless. it was long but there was always something happening and i think that helped the pacing. i heard a lot of people in different reviews complain that there was too much crying and too many storylines but i didnt have trouble keeping everything sorted out and im pushing half of a century here! Ha ha ha! it was fun and i think thats how it should be looked at as. comic books cant make everybody happy and neither can their movies. ill just enjoy the ride.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2007, 09:41:24 AM »

*****Spoilers Ahoy!******

I just saw Spidey 3 last night...I thought it was entertaining but, they could have done better.  It has Pirates of the Caribbean 2-itis.  Characters do things that are slightly out of character or because it's in the script.  Mary Jane comes off as a temperamental be-otch.  And who told Kirsten Dunst she could sing?!  She's got a great voice for rock or punk music but not for jazz or show tunes.  Why didn't Mary Jane just tell Peter that Harry was making her break up with him...He IS Spider-man after all.

Why didn't Harry's butler tell him that his father died of glider wounds back in the second movie?  The set pieces (Peter dancing in the street and night club in particular) were distracting.  And for once can Spiderman keep his mask intact.  I thought Venom slobbered all over the place with a crazy big tongue but it didn't make an appearance.

Okay, I got the negative stuff out of the way.  Now on to the positives.  The special effects and fight scenes are top notch.  Sandman is a great villain both in appearance and motivation.  Venom was a little weak and underused but Topher Grace didn't embarrass himself as Brock or Venom.  Bryce Dallas Howard is hot.  The cameos were both funny and well done.

******Spoilers End******

All in all I enjoyed it but I expect more from Spidey 4.  Spidey 2 remains my favorite of the bunch.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
venomx
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2007, 01:27:29 PM »

dean - A pain in Venoms ass? No this movie is about pain in Venoms symbiote nads ... And how Sam Raimi kicked em in.
Yes there was a SUPER big opportunity for him to be very VERY menacing. But I know what you mean. Also Im not a Hardcore Fanboy I just sound like one lol I just really like Venoms dark evil look and the symbiotes real story thats all.

Oldskool138  - "And who told Kirsten Dunst she could sing?!"  I know how you feel. I want to put a pumpkin bomb in her mouth  Thumbup her acting abilities suck too. also ... Karma for you because of this line - "And for once can Spiderman keep his mask intact."

Offsubject ...
StackAttack - Karma for you because of your avatar land of the lost. good oldtimes there.  Thumbup ...

« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 10:02:18 AM by venomx » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  SPIDER-MAN 3 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.