Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:54:56 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Mansquito « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mansquito  (Read 2846 times)
CoreyHeldpen
Bad Movie Lover

I think these komodos need to leave this cruise.

« on: May 05, 2007, 11:14:34 PM »

In my review of Shockwave I mentioned that everybody is always hating on Sci Fi Channel Original Movies, regardless of the actual quality of the film, because that's the IN thing right now. I know most of the flicks the Sci Fi Channel produces seriously suck, but some are OK, and every once in a while, on a magical occasion, they make one that actually rocks pretty hard. Sure, that's quite rare, and after Fire Serpent and Lake Placid 2, two films with decent potential, turned out to be major crapfests, its not likely we'll see a good flick from the Sci Fi Channel for while. But again, some are pretty cool.

Mansquito is one such film.

The film opens to Jennifer, a scientist, working on a cure to a disease that's devastating the country. The illness is spread by, you guessed it, mosquitoes. Cut to  death row convict Ray being transported to the research facility Jen is toiling long and hard at. This guy is a mass murderer, and is soon to be a human guinea pig at the said facility. It seems a cure may be at hand in the form of a blue serum, but it needs to be tested first. But Ray breaks free and begins shooting everything up, eventually leading to him being covered in the serum.

While he limps off, in tattered clothes, covered in burns, Tom, a detective dating Jen, is on the scene at the devastated laboratory. Soon, dead bodies drained of blood begin popping up all over the city, and Tom, with his partner Charlie are on the case. If you've read the title of the film, then it should be obvious that Ray has mutated into a half-man/half-mosquito monstrosity, and is currently on a killing spree. Jen was exposed to the same liquid that created the Mosquito Man too, but only a fraction as much as Ray was, so even though her mutation will be much slower, she's still turning into Womansquito.

Maybe the main reason why I enjoyed the hell out of this film is because I was watching it on a home theatre system with surround sound. Maybe I only enjoyed because my expectations were so low. But whatever the reason may be, I had a great time with Mansquito. I really have to compliment the makeup crew. When Ray is shambing down the darkened streets before having completely transformed, covered in gross boils and peeling skin, it really is something deserving of praise. Same for the insectoid makeup for Jen during the climax.

The Mansquito costume looks absolutely disgusting, and even kind of scary the first few times it appears. Sure, it kind of looks like a Power Rangers villain, but there have been dumber-looking things in TV monster movies. Another downside is that the guy in the suit is clearly having trouble moving. But still, this a rather gross-looking beast. Its the human-like features here and there that make it truly creepy. A few remaining strands of hair, the one hand that still looks vaguely human, the human teeth in the mandibles surrounding the mosquito proboscis, that sort of thing. When flying its just mediocre CGI, but for the most part this is a good movie monster.

The soundtrack is the standard Sci Fi Channel techno score. The male lead does a fairly good job, but that's about as good as the acting gets. The director, Tibor Takacs, does an outstanding job creating a suspenseful atmosphere. He keeps the movie going at a brisk pace, never allowing a scene to go on too long. The film is decently written, too. Mansquito gets plenty of screentime, gets to do some cool stuff, and racks up a high body count. How high was it again? 34? 35? This thing can't go ten minutes without killing 3 or 4 people!

I should also mention the scene where Ray completes his transformation into Mansquito. Its easily the freakiest thing ever put into a Sci Fi Channel Original Movie. I was happy to see that the creature also actually sucked the blood of his victims rather than just dismembering them. This has happened to the Chupacabra more than once. The third act where the creature goes all Terminator on a hospital to get at Jen was seriously awesome.

Mansquito is a hugely entertaining movie that has the extra bonus of also being rather well made. Don't be put off by what IMDb has to say about it and check it out.

SCORE:  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile out of five
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 12:03:38 AM by CoreyHeldpen » Logged

"The only three things I hate are demons, malfunctioning robots, and monster movies that don't show you the monster."
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 05:29:55 PM »

I always try to hold out a little hope for SciFi originals and occasionally get  surprised by one. Manquito was pretty good compared to most to the schlock they put on.

Heres a thread about the movie from back when it premiered.

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,84054.0.html

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Mansquito « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.