Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:58:05 PM
713371 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Pirates Of The Carribean: Dead Mans Chest (2006) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pirates Of The Carribean: Dead Mans Chest (2006)  (Read 11446 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: May 08, 2007, 11:03:11 AM »

PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: DEAD MANS CHEST (2006) - The continuing story and sequel is just more of Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow. The best part is when Depp is made a god by tribesmen on the island other than that I didn't get much out of this major production. Might wait for DVD to see PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN: AT WORLDS END (2007) if I watch it at all. The first film was fun watching Depp play Captain Jack Sparrow.

Thumbup (7 out of 10 Stars) It's an ok film...............

« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 11:08:31 AM by Scott » Logged

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 11:15:28 AM »

This one disappointed me.  I like it that the movies constantly delve into curses, magic, and other weird bits of folklore and sea tales.  However, this time around the movie did not seem to come together like the first.  It appears to be a film made up of several action scenes that were then tied together by a plot.

Sparrow and Will fighting in the tumbling water wheel comes to mind.  Neat scene, with lots of action and stuff happening, but it seemed tacked on.  Ditto with Davey Jones' and his crew.  The movie seemed focused on displaying the CGI wonder used to make them, rather than really employing them as characters.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Scott

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 11:51:29 AM »

I agree. That's about how I felt about this film.

Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 12:01:46 PM »

My two biggest gripes were characters acting out of character (Spider-man 3 also suffered from this) and the recycling of jokes from the first movie.  Plus the plot is very similar to Empire Strikes back.

The movie looks great but lacks substance.  I know it's a fantasy pirate adventure movie but the first one had a certain level credibility and spontaneity that the second one lacked.

I'm bringing eye protection to the theater for Pirates 3.  There's going to be a bunch of loose plot threads flying together all at once.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Neville

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 02:42:45 PM »

I happen to prefer it over the first one. True, it doesn't come together as well, and with all the characters, subplots and stuff it feels a bit overcrowded (let's hope Pirates 3 isn't, although I doubt it), but the set pieces are more exciting (kudos to the Kraken designers) and I loved the silly humour it exudes from every pore. You don't get enough blockbusters that quote the Warner cartoons (Jack Sparrow's escape from the cannibalĄs island) and do it right, and the scenes in Tortuga seem to mirror "The curse of Monkey Island", which is just what a nerd like me expects to see in these circumstances.

On the minus side, I couldn't care less about Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley, they're surrounded by so many scene stealers that they don't even seem to try.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 06:28:38 PM »

Im so sick of these movies, partly because i see little 13 year olds walking around wearing a P.O.T.C. t shirt and calling it "punk" but mostly because they're not that great of movies to begin with. I mean, there not HORRIBLE, but they gey WAAAY more credit than they deserve. Probobly because of Johnny Depp, which everyone seems to like regardless of the role that he's playing.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Torgo

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 08:42:41 PM »

The run time for part 3 is 165(!) minutes.

So I think it's going to be even more stuffed than part 2 was.

but the thing that bugged me about part 2 was as long as it was, really not that much happened that really propelled the story any until the 3rd act IMO.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 12:54:24 AM »

Saw this a while back, I liked parts of it: the cannibal island sequence, a few bits in the middle and the big twist reveal at the end. But for the most part it was just marking time for the third one to come along. The series could have been two good films, but not one really good action/comedy and a bloated middle film and who knows what for the third one.

Depp was fun, but he was more fun the first time when the character was fresh. And the sequence with him alone on the ship with the Kraken seemed to go on forever. Really lousy pacing there, I guess they wanted to get every pixel of the CGI beastie they spent money for on the screen.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Scott

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 07:15:54 AM »

Depp was fun, but he was more fun the first time when the character was fresh.

So true.

dean

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 09:23:01 AM »

There were a lot of moments in this one where people sort of turned their head to the side and looked blankly at something silly going on.

Sure it was fun, and funny, but this style struck me as kind of annoying after a while.

Overall I liked the film, and was very much entertained by it, but it wasn't as polished as it should have been.

The storyline of Keira Knightley's character and Depp's in which there was a 'thing' there seemed totally pointless: it's because the audience knows it's not going to happen, all the cues are there, SO WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO TELL US IT IS!!!

Or something along those lines...

As per usual there were plenty of fun moments in this, but the character motivation just seemed all off kilter and all over the place, which kind of dissappointed me, since in the first one that side of things was quite polished.

Ah, well, either way it was still good, and I can't wait till the 3rd.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Yaddo 42

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 11:35:39 PM »

Just think how much more interesting it would be if she did hook up with Sparrow instead. Just like the slutty girl living to the end in a slasher movie, Knightley's character having a change of heart, or just realizing thow dull Bloom's character really is would be a nice change of pace. Sparrow would ditch her the instant things got bad,  he found a younger prettier face once she got a few years on her, or a dumb girl with a large inheritance - but it would make for a more interesting flick.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
dean

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 03:32:59 AM »

Just think how much more interesting it would be if she did hook up with Sparrow instead. Just like the slutty girl living to the end in a slasher movie, Knightley's character having a change of heart, or just realizing thow dull Bloom's character really is would be a nice change of pace. Sparrow would ditch her the instant things got bad,  he found a younger prettier face once she got a few years on her, or a dumb girl with a large inheritance - but it would make for a more interesting flick.

You know what, I'd love that.  That's almost the same as killing off all the Transformers in the 80s movie [even though that was for marketing purposes of course!]  It would make things very interesting and would be a good catalyst for character motivational changes or some s**te.

It'd not only be a brave move but good to see.  Shame that it will never happen eh?

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 07:48:47 PM »

I watched this one last night, and I was a bit disappointed.  The action sequences were a lot of fun, but the story made no sense at all.

It might be interesting if Elizabeth were really tempted at all to run off with Sparrow, but I doubt too that the writers would be brave enough to go that direction.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Yaddo 42

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 11:44:03 PM »

No they wouldn't do it because audiences would hate it, for giving them something other than the same old thing they've seen a million times. But why can't characters make bad choices once in a while, just be caught up in the moment, or let their hormones think for them when they think it's love (not just in stupid teen sex comedies).

Part of me always wishes that when the two lead characters hook up in movies at the end, we could see what happens to them down the line, even if there weren't sequels. Not all of these people are meant to be soulmates, just like real life. Sooner or later someone will get bored, cheat, get sick of the other one, reveal their "real" self, be abusive, have a lousy job, have annoying relatives, etc.

Beating the bad guy, saving the world, and living happily ever after is nice escapism; but how about some variations on the theme.

rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 01:47:54 AM »

i saw it and was not impressed.  It was long and didn't resolve itself.  If you are going to make a movie that long and least give the audience some resolution.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Pirates Of The Carribean: Dead Mans Chest (2006) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: osˇmoˇsis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is Š 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.