Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:21:29 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Godzilla vs. Mothra" - Classic Media's DVD Version « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Godzilla vs. Mothra" - Classic Media's DVD Version  (Read 2428 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: May 10, 2007, 08:52:44 AM »

I finished watching this last night and it is a great DVD for this Godzilla film.  Previously, I have owned the Simitar DVD.  While that version was acceptable and the video print even seemed fair, the Classic Media DVD is a huge improvement.  The print is gorgeous and the DVD includes both the American and Japanese versions of the movie (I watched it in Japanese, with subtitles).

The film itself is a lot of fun, between the Shobijin, the reporter who loves to eat hardboiled eggs, Godzilla as a walking natural disaster, and even the two versions of Mothra (adult and the larva).  You really do feel like Godzilla is there, looming over the horizon.  If he decides to walk your way, you are probably going to die.  He simply wipes out anything in his path.

Oh, and I love the DVD menu.  It displays quickly and looks like a print newspaper page.  Nice touch, that.

I will be buying every Godzilla DVD that Classic Media puts out.  Companies like it deserve some kudos.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Torgo

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 07:40:20 PM »

The only thing that I noticed is that the Japanese version is in the original 2.35:1 ratio while the American version is in a cropped 1.85:1 version.

I guess they couldn't get a print of the American cut in the original Tohoscope aspect ratio. 

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 07:41:25 PM »

I wonder if the original Americanized print was that cropped version, hence the difference?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
peter johnson

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 12:24:27 AM »

The one and only version of this that I own is from Simitar Entertainment (1998).  It is an EP thing that is 90 min. long, with no extras or anything.
I do wish that all of these would be available in the original Japanese with English subtitles, just like a Bergman picture, as I simply cannot describe how much I despise the "dubbing" on these things.
peter hojoishimashi/denny muguturobinjislammi

I have no idea what this means.
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 01:03:31 AM »

I have  the old Classic Media disc and a Japanese widescreen import, but I am also keeping a TV recorded cropped American dub I have of it as well, because I taped it off TBS as a lad and it has host wraparounds from Grandpa Munster for the Super Scary Saturday!

Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 02:12:56 AM »

The American cut of Godzilla vs. Mothra is cropped but from what I read, Classic Media went with the lesser of two evils in order to provide the best quality product possible. Here's a fantastic DVD review at WTF-FILM.com that shines a little more light on the subject.

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Godzilla vs. Mothra" - Classic Media's DVD Version « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.