Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:55:59 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rated R for Language, Nudity and Brief Smoking? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Rated R for Language, Nudity and Brief Smoking?  (Read 24147 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 07:54:30 AM »

I "agree"  Smile about there not being any money in selling abstinence.  My folks live in Florida in the Winter, and they passed some smoking ban in all public restaurants down there.  Now my folks are complaining that there aren't any restaurants anymore.  They passed a rule where I used to work that nobody could smoke in the factory, so everybody just went in the bathrooms for a smoke, and the supervisors were left to wonder where the hell all their employees went.  Of course it was a bit of a catch-22 since all the supervisors were doing the same thing as well.  I'm sure productivity must have skyrocketed.  The funniest part was watching all the non-smokers follow the smokers outside for their breaks because of course those people are their friends and they wanted to hang out with them and really couldn't care less if they smoked or not. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 09:56:48 AM »

The funniest part was watching all the non-smokers follow the smokers outside for their breaks because of course those people are their friends and they wanted to hang out with them and really couldn't care less if they smoked or not. 

Yea, but it's one dolt, , usually a recently-quit ex-smoker that goes out of their way to be offended, or expects others to abstain to help them quit.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2007, 10:17:56 AM »

Yea, but it's one dolt, , usually a recently-quit ex-smoker that goes out of their way to be offended, or expects others to abstain to help them quit.

I think nonsmokers have a valid right to be offended by me and mine.  We are on the pleasure-receiving end of it, and we are the ones looking cool, whereas the nonsmoker has to make the best of standing there.  That being said, there is no constitutional right to not being offended.  TeddyR  Want to hear a sad story?  I am allergic to virtually everything (but tobacco smoke) including perfume.  My girlfriend is kind enough to oblige, but often times I cannot remain in closed quarters with her friends because it quickly becomes difficult to breath.  I also cannot enter Victoria's Secret lingerie stores.  Bluesad  But, I would certainly be the last person to campaign for a ban on fragrances.  Personal accountability: because of my intolerance, I avoid them when I can.

++josh;
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2007, 11:14:42 AM »

There is no money in selling abstinence. 
Hehe, in theory I guess that's correct.  In this day-and-age of federal grants for this and that program, PLUS all the pharmaceutical companies and therapists selling methodologies to quit smoking, I think there is plenty of money in abstinence.  Truth.com was not running (false) TV commercials for free.
Plus, the real motivation seems to be more power than money.
What, me cynical?   Wink
I don't think "the patch" or Nicorette gum or paid for quitting methodologies are so much abstinence as substitution.   Sadly, I also think power and money are interchangeable. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2007, 07:20:29 AM »

Maybe movies should also receive an "R" rating if they show people eating foods cooked in trans-fat.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2007, 10:21:49 PM »

Don't encourage the ratings boards.  I'm sure they'll move onto the evils of meat and sugar soon enough...

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2007, 10:39:54 AM »

What a bunch of BS ... and speaking of BS has anyone seen "Penn and Teller's Show BULLSH!T"? They have a bit on second hand smoke that all the claims about it being harmful are all BS and that the claims are distorted and blown out of whack ... and they are both non-smokers.

http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/prevepisodes.do?episodeid=s1/shs

JUST and FYI!

rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2007, 11:49:54 AM »

even if second hand smoke is harmful, it isn't more harmful then car pollution and industry pollution.  Where is the movement to stop those?  I think smoking is the target because a group of individuals that can be stigmatized do it, instead of powerful companies or the masses.

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2007, 02:28:14 PM »

I think nonsmokers have a valid right to be offended by me and mine.  We are on the pleasure-receiving end of it, and we are the ones looking cool, whereas the nonsmoker has to make the best of standing there.  That being said, there is no constitutional right to not being offended.    Want to hear a sad story?  I am allergic to virtually everything (but tobacco smoke) including perfume.  My girlfriend is kind enough to oblige, but often times I cannot remain in closed quarters with her friends because it quickly becomes difficult to breath.  I also cannot enter Victoria's Secret lingerie stores.    But, I would certainly be the last person to campaign for a ban on fragrances.  Personal accountability: because of my intolerance, I avoid them when I can.

It's true. I spoke mainly of those "intentionally being offended". Whan I smoked, I'd had people litterally follow me around saying "I'd appreciate it if you didn't smoke around me". It sucks. . 

Another thing, along the lines of your allergies, there is (was) a Salsa and Hot Sauce shop in one of the malls. Had all kinds of cool Salsas, peppers, hot sauce, chilli kits, eveything you could need along those lines. Well, in next door moved a "Candle and Soap" shop, that just completely reeked. It was as horrible as you can imaging. I'm talking like going into the mall with the intent of buying all kinds of awesome food, and losing my appitite to the point of being nautious, and not buying anything because nothing looked good. I could smell that crap litterally 10 stores in either direction. The Salsa shop people said they not only have less customers come it, but rearely sold anything, when it used to be that nearly everyone that entered bought something. Even the free samples went untouched, and nearly everyone complained about the soap / perfume smell. I complained to the management of the soap store, but they could care less. The mall made them install an exhaust fan to keep the smell out of the rest of the mall, and after much restance, they finally complied, but not till after the salsa shop went under.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2007, 05:05:03 PM »

Well, I'm no smoker myself, and there's obviously nothing healthy about inhaling the rough equivalent of bus fumes all day whether they're your fumes or not. On the other hand, if you live in the city or anywhere there's a fair number of drivers and/or factories around, you'll be inhaling your share of atmospheric contaminants anyway. This whole focus on demonizing smokers and smoking is hurting people's health more than helping it; when government gets overbearing and meddlesome, people have all the more justification for doing bad things just to feel all cool and rebellious. Meddling with movie ratings over smoking, of all things, is retarded.

When you get down to it, in fact, the ratings system we have is a bit foolish anyway; ratings ought to be a kind of parental aid, not a propaganda instrument. If the MPAA is so scay-ered about kids smoking, the thing to do is just to build their anti-smoking propaganda into the movies rather than start screwing around with ratings. I mean, they've done some serious damage to the traditional family all these years with their portrayals of marriage as a trap, parents as idiots, promiscuous kids as cool, and the abstinent guys as losers and/or frigid do-gooders. Now they're going to tell me they can't do the same thing to smoking? Yet they insist on this idiotic nanny-state solution instead.

There's some question of whether abstinence (from anything) sells; well, yes and no. In politics, what sells is agitation for abstinence, not abstinence itself. In more general terms, activism sells far better than getting actual results. A government program can't really make anyone abstinent from sex, alcohol, tobacco, or any other potentially self-destructive activity. If it can build a huge self-sustaining bureaucracy and keep getting its architects elected to office, however, then by political standards it's a huge success! Likewise, Hollywood isn't really the least bit interested in keeping any of us from smoking. If it can appear to be all caring about our health and if this wins it all kinds of acclaim from the media and from the media's self-appointed moralists, however, then we have to admit its anti-smoking program has been very successful--for Hollywood, not for abstinence.

We've got to stop relying on the authority of official experts so much and start doing our own rating. Letting these jerks raise our kids for us has been a disaster.
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2007, 12:49:04 AM »

In my opinion The Whole "insert all your favorite swearwords here" system needs an overhaul. The FCC, THE MPAA etc. It seems everything is going down the tubes these days.
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2007, 04:06:48 PM »

In my opinion The Whole "insert all your favorite swearwords here" system needs an overhaul. The FCC, THE MPAA etc. It seems everything is going down the tubes these days.

Censorious organizations are inherently flawed in that their foundations will always be subjective.  Whether they take a literal approach, like the FCC, and define a list of what you cannot say, or whether they try to base conclusions on the overall mood of a work like the MPAA, the issue of acceptability is still going to be based on someone's personal opinion.  The MPAA has claimed from the beginning to be merely an advisory system, but that simply does not work for the commercial business of American films.  By advising that a large chunk of the demographic should not see the movie, studios are obviously going to cut and snip until they receive a less restrictive rating.

Quite frankly, I don't think this is something the industry or the government should be doing.  If parents object to things their children come into contact with, then the parents should step in and filter that out.  Objectionable content in movies is no different than objectionable drug dealers in bad neighborhoods.  If you do not want to expose yourself or your children to such shady concepts, don't.  But if I want to sit among the sordid and decrease property values for a city block, that is my right.  It is unreasonable and lazy to expect the industry to regulate itself for the sake of your particular values.  That is silly.  It would be like forcing the Catholic Church to recognize Ra, the sun god, so as not to offend ancient Egyptians or Mcdonalds to carry tofu burgers so as not to offend vegetarians.  If you're pagan, don't go to a Catholic Church.  If you're vegetarian, don't go to McDonalds.  If you don't like sh!t-eating transvestites, don't watch John Waters movies.  If we are such a free-market system, let supply and demand determine content!

++josh;
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2007, 06:09:56 PM »

hot Preach it ,brother! Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Neville

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2007, 03:40:16 AM »

I'd sign fot that, too, but it wouldn't work. Without a general rating system avery state would end up enforcing their own system, if only to please more conservative voters. I'm told that even with the MPAA existing, there are shops that offer edited versions of DVDs. Imagine that x1000.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2007, 01:23:42 PM »

The new rating may not have that much affect anyway. Not only is smoking--apparently--down in films, but 75% of the films that do contain smoking are already rated "R' for one reason or the other.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rated R for Language, Nudity and Brief Smoking? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.