Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:05:37 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Believe? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in,or have an interest in,odd phenomenom?
UFO's
Ghosts
Bigfoot/Yeti
Sea Monsters
Alternite universes
Psychic powers
Time Travel
Other weird stuff-

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: Do You Believe?  (Read 29060 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: May 12, 2007, 06:16:45 PM »

I read alot about UFO's...and I was just curious if I was the only space-case on the board. I also am fascinated by cryptozoology,and other oddball things. You can pick as many as you want..or name other...stuff!

Thanks!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 06:34:42 PM »

I voted for psychic powers.
We only use 10% of our brains.
Imagine what we could do if we were able to use 90-100%
If we could, I'm pretty sure psychic powers like telekenesis and telepathy would be possible.

As for UFO's, ghosts and other weird phenomenon, I'll believe in them when I see them.
Until then...no way.
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 07:52:17 PM »

We only use 10% of our brains.

No.  TeddyR  We use 100% of our brains.  The 10% figure has two unrelated origins:  one comes from the fact that sections of our brain are delegated to specializing in particular functions, so at any given moment, only 10% may be actively engaged, but that is just because only 10% was required for the processing.  This is just like the horsepower reading in an automobile.  While a car may have 250hp, as a driver you will usually only take advantage of a small fraction of it.  The other origin comes from our sensory filtration system.  At any given moment, only 10-25% of information reaching a neuron is passed along the synapse for processing.  The rest is discarded.

But that being said, an altogether more efficient and perceptive brain could definitely accomplish things we'd consider psychic.  Biologists have discovered "6th senses" in numerous species.  Many species of birds and dolphins can see the Earth's magnetic field.  The platypus can build a picture of its environment by collecting the smallest of electromagnetic impulses.  Fish have something called a "lateral line" that allow them to detect the most minute changes in water flow, helping them navigate around objects in complete darkness.  Insect brains contain many magnitudes less neurons than our own, and as such they can't be bothered dividing tasks between them.  This gives them much more per-task power.

I voted for Sea Monsters, but I consider most sea creatures monstrous.  For 3/4 of life's history on this planet it existed exclusively in water, allowing for very strange evolutionary offshoots.  Currently, we know more about the moon than we do about the deep ocean.  New species are identified on nearly every deep dive.  A few years back Japanese scientists managed to find a giant, 8-meter-long squid, alive and well.  It escaped, but lost a tentacle in the process.

++josh;
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 08:00:25 PM »

I spend a lot of time researching and writing about these subjects, and I used to do podcasts for another site I was involved with.  Cryptozoology is one of the things I obsess about, along with topics such as possible abductions and such.  And anything Fortean in nature, such as raining frogs, and the like. 

A friend of mine is starting his own site for these topics and I'll be doing a new series of shows for it, if anyone's interested I'll post a link when he gets it rolling.  The first show I'm doing is about Bigfoot, and I have shows planned around some conspiracy theories and some more paranormal stuff.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 08:50:56 PM »

Well I already posted (in the "I'm your worst nightmare" thread) about my real life encounter with a creature that sounds a heck of a lot like the one described in the Wendigo legend when I was a child (I'm thinking I was around 10-12 years old). Most people either flat out do not believe me on that story of think I was a child with an overactive imagination. Many sight my current love of sci-fi, fantasy and horror as a likely influence. Thing is as a child, I purposely avoided anything even the remotest frightening when it came to movies and television. It was only after this encounter that my interest in the supernatural really began to grow.  I remember it was just after dark and I was a bit late coming home when right out in the road not far from my home I saw something. At first I thought it was a person but as I came closer to it, I realized it was much too large. The thing was very dark and its features were hard to make out but I remember it suddenly turning and snarling at me . It seemed to have an Indian's head and an animal's body.  Only earlier that day, I had done something rather foolish that was somewhat disrespective to a grave which may it is suspected contain a native's body.

For a brief moment, I honestly wondered if it wasn't a man on horseback. Whatever the heck it was, I instinctively knew to get away from it as fast as I could. So I ran faster than I had ever ran before and I swear I could feel it breathing down upon me from above in pursuit of me. Strangely I nearly ran right past the pathways to my own house in fear but ultimately turned at that instant and the thing had completely vanished which in a way I found even more terrifying. I ran the rest of the ways home out of breath with my parents wondering what the hell had happened to me. To this day, they believe I saw something but not what I think I saw.  The Wendigo is said in some quarters to be a bad omen and my small town has been plagued with much tragedy over the years, my own family having felt the brunt of some of it.  Every since then and a few other bizarre encounters I've had, I've been fascinated with the supernatural.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 08:53:43 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Raffine

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 08:53:36 PM »

Oh yeah, I've loved everything connected to bizarre stuff like this since I was a kid. I probably believed in bigfoot (absolutely no doubt) and UFOs more than the others. Now... I'm not sure... but it is still fun to read about and watch documentaries about these subjects. I've mentioned more than once here about how for several years as a kid I was totally convinced Bigfoot lurked in the acre or so of woods behind my parent's house, just waiting for the chance to rip me to pieces.  

My sister once told us about seeing what she descibed as a 'scary kangaroo' in a field. We thought it was ridiculous, but I've since read there is a phenomena reported by many as seeing what appeared to be a  "Phantom Kangaroo".  Buggedout

I agree the depths of the sea is probably the likeliest place where actual 'monsters' may yet lurk undiscovered. That was one bone-ugly shark they discovered a few months ago.

One of the most intriguing 'cryptos' I think may be around is the Thylacine or 'Tasmanian Wolf' or 'Tasmanian Tiger'. These bizarre creatures were canivorous wolf-sized marsupials that were hunted to extinction in the early 20th century but there have been many reports and sighting that suggest a small population may still exist. Thee was some talk a few years ago of attempting to clone a Thylacine from preserved specimens.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 09:58:30 PM »

Jase, your story is so frightening that people don't want to believe it. 

I voted for Ghosts, because I collect ghost stories, and enjoy discovering them.  I've had a few strange experiences in my life, nothing spectacular, but have heard many many more from a surprising diversity of people, at least a few of which I believe were not "fancies" and like my own experiences, difficult to explain.  There must be many realities and truths that are currently inexplicable.  Though by instinct a bit superstitious, I do not believe in the "supernatural," but rather believe that the "supernatural" is what we have not yet begun to discover. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 09:50:35 AM »

I think that all these things however unlikely, time travel for instance, are not impossible. While eyewitness testimony is always suspect, too many people have reported seeing and having encounters with most of the things on the list to be hoaxers or having hallucinations etc. While no one has come forward with actual proof of the existence of these things the argument against them is usually, I haven't seen it, I don't believe in it, you have no real proof, therefore it doesn't exist. This is the wrong kind of attitude to have about these things, they should be approached with an open mind. Once we run out of mysteries and monsters this will be a very boring world.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
akiratubo

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 10:57:48 AM »

I wish there were really something wonderous in this world.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 12:36:39 PM »

I wish there were really something wonderous in this world.

I guess it depends on your point of view, what's a wonder for some is just an every day ordinary thing for others, that's part of what makes the world go round.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 01:43:02 PM »

I still am haunted, still have sleepless nights, from that experience that happened to me so long ago. Doesn't help I live not far away from where it happened. I often want to think I imagined it or it was some weird manifestation of guilt or whathaveyou. I know it was dark when I saw the thing but I distinctively remember it looked and felt and smelt unnatural ..a rotten egg type of smell. What I remember most was snarling teeth, a furry mane of some sort and a creature that appeared part man (it had a dark-skinned human-like face), part animal. I think my mind was trying to rationalize what I saw to the point I envisioned later it might possibly have been a man on horseback holding an axe  but I don't think that it could have possibly been that in actuality (I've never even seen an actual horse up close)...just it had some of the characters and features that one identifies with the image of a man on horseback.  I ran back home exhausted and completely terrified. I must have looked completely shell-shocked to my parents at the time.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 03:12:59 PM »

Me...I believe ANYTHING can happen,did happen,or will happen. Someplace. I believe in different worlds,outside or world...
  Ok...kinda like this: Earth is an atom...which is interlocked with other atoms...and so on and so on,and all these atoms interlock into something bigger...and that "bigger"something is but an atom in another universe of things..and so on and son...it never,ever ends...and is soooo complicated and bizzare and so out  of the reach of our imaginations,that what we consider impposible is commonplace elsewhere,and things fall in and out,skip,jump,and get lost and reappear...as mere biological enities,it would be stupidly arrogent to think we know even a fraction of what it all is,and we willnever know. I don't think death is the end,just annother step into something...different.
      Then again...I'm sure I'm completly wrong! TongueOut

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 04:38:39 PM »

Really RC the universe ends with the planet we recently discovered. There are actually only two life-supporting planets in the universe, (which consists of about 4 galaxies) which lay at opposite ends of it. And that's the end. BounceGiggle We're all pretty plain creatures in actuality, like a colony of ants struggling to survive in an enviroment that could kill us all at any time.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 07:38:16 PM »

Really RC the universe ends with the planet we recently discovered. There are actually only two life-supporting planets in the universe, (which consists of about 4 galaxies) which lay at opposite ends of it. And that's the end. BounceGiggle We're all pretty plain creatures in actuality, like a colony of ants struggling to survive in an enviroment that could kill us all at any time.

Really? How do you know? You just said we just discovered another...and there are not more? How do we Know? Whats beyond that? Does space end? Do you hit a wall? Like Jim Carry on the TRUMAN SHOW? Do you open a door and get to meet God? Cool...I hope he's not a jerk like Scott Glen...more like George Burns would be nice!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 08:50:04 PM »

I have been fascinated with UFO's since I was about seven years old. I've never actually seen one but they have always held my imagination. 

My mother saw one when I was elementary school and never told anyone about it until it was reported that others had seen it (she was afraid of being called nuts).  My little niece was at the house and my mom went out in the back yard to check on her and heard a strange humming noise that made her look up. She saw a round silver object with a rotating mid-section pass at tree level (maybe 30 feet).  She said it was quite unnerving.

As far as Bigfoot, I lived just about two hours away from Fouke, Arkansas the home of the Boggy Creek monster. It caused quite a stir when I was in high school.

I believe that there is far more that mankind doesn't know than there is that we do know.  (That sentence sounds a bit off , but you get what I mean).

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Believe? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.