Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:36:07 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Believe? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you believe in,or have an interest in,odd phenomenom?
UFO's
Ghosts
Bigfoot/Yeti
Sea Monsters
Alternite universes
Psychic powers
Time Travel
Other weird stuff-

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Do You Believe?  (Read 29028 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2007, 05:08:45 AM »

It's true that the skeptic (scientist) is so smart they are dumb. Anytime you have a lock on "reality" your missing something. We only have 5 senses and they are very limited.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2007, 06:54:31 AM »

The works of Charles Fort (the BOOK of the DAMNED,LO!,NEW LANDS,WILD TALENTS),though written decades ago,are still fascinating! The man was so far ahead of his time...a true original. I just started rereading LO! a couple of days ago....I HIGHLY recommend him to anyone interested in  the unusual. He doesn't state ANYTHING as pure fact...but opens up your mind to new possibilities....kinda oils your gears! Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2007, 09:02:12 AM »

The works of Charles Fort (the BOOK of the DAMNED,LO!,NEW LANDS,WILD TALENTS),though written decades ago,are still fascinating! The man was so far ahead of his time...a true original. I just started rereading LO! a couple of days ago....I HIGHLY recommend him to anyone interested in  the unusual. He doesn't state ANYTHING as pure fact...but opens up your mind to new possibilities....kinda oils your gears! Thumbup

I agree 100%.  Despite my interest in the paranormal and occult, I had never really heard of Charles Fort until Peter Johnson here got me hooked on Fortean Times.  It's a magazine that faithfully follows along where Fort left off.  They cover strange creatures, anomalous incidents, strange sightings, psychic encounters, etc.  I try to pick up a copy wherever I can find one which is damn hard to do as it's a British publication.

Just last night I spent hours on their site reading about the Antikythera Mechanism, the Buddhist Hell, the #23, and how Glasgow's Necropolis is actually the world's largest freemason symbol in the world.  Fascinating stuff.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2007, 09:38:47 AM »

My fiancee has chosen to fill her basic human need for order and stability by becoming a practicing Buddhist. One of the religion's more complex sutras is something called the Diamond Sutra that's apparently reserved for followers who have expanded their minds and selves to an elevated point, so it's basically an advanced lesson (at least from what she tells me). In really simple terms, it pretty much tells followers that you should never accept anything as truth, question everything around you as different shades of gray and never black or white, and never accept anything as it's taught to you but instead learn about everything so you can draw a conclusion that's entirely your own.

It's funny because I've been telling her the same thing since we met, but after 8 years she only starts  listening to it when somebody important says it.  TongueOut

Anyway, it's good to know there are so many like minded individuals on the Board to relate to. Living in NYC we're surrounded by millions of people who all seem to have their minds set strictly on what they were told to believe by other people and it's frustrating sometimes that seemingly none of them have the realization that with so many different variations on life there is no right or wrong. The condemning of others for not following your logic or values system is unsettling, but it's good to be able to escape that and come here instead.  Cheers

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2007, 10:11:10 AM »

The Fortean Times is excellent because the articles they run are always well-written and researched.  One thing I've learned from the net is that there are a lot of so-called 'paranormal' sites that are overrun with disinfo and people more interested in selling New Age books than actually promoting discussion of anything mysterious.  (Personal pet peeve rant over.)

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2007, 11:00:46 AM »

Researching further the native tribes of my home province and noting the fact most of them are thought to have branched off from the Algonquian native tribes and are thought to have carried over some of the same beliefs, I really think it's very possible I saw the Wendigo.

Here's a pretty good link about it:

http://www.wyrdology.com/cryptozoology/wendigo.html

And here's another link. This is pretty darn frightening stuff.

http://dinojoe.8m.com/crypto/windigo.html
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 11:05:58 AM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2007, 04:19:14 AM »

The Fortean Times is excellent because the articles they run are always well-written and researched.  One thing I've learned from the net is that there are a lot of so-called 'paranormal' sites that are overrun with disinfo and people more interested in selling New Age books than actually promoting discussion of anything mysterious.  (Personal pet peeve rant over.)

I agree with snivelly, at least as far as the "Fortean Times" goes. Not the least because I know some of the people responsible for the "Fortean Times." And they are a great bunch of guys.
akiratubo

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2007, 06:18:22 AM »

GAH!  Monsters with long fingers really creep me out.  I don't know why.  Could be because they resemble spiders' legs.  (Or ... am I afraid of spiders because their legs resemble long fingers?)

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2007, 08:11:30 AM »

I used to find all that stuff very fascinating, but after being interested in it for a long time, I've become a complete skeptic. 

UFO's - I believe there are other planets out there in the universe that have intelligent life, and some of it is probably much more advanced than us.  Some of it would simply blow our minds if we ever discovered it because it's beyond our imagination.  However I don't believe they've visited us.  So much of the UFO stuff I see on the numerous TV shows has convinced me that the UFO believers play it unbelievably fast and loose with the evidence - for instance, much of the stuff in various famous reports never really happened and a lot of reports contain numerous factual errors.  When you've got "fans" of something doing the investigating, you do not get stuff that's worth listening to.  I'm much more interested in the scientific stuff, like if there was ever life on Mars and if there's currently life on that moon of Saturn that supposedly has a water ocean under it.

Bigfoot - you'd need hundreds if not thousands of them to have a viable breeding population.  We've discovered tiny populations of gorillas in the deepest darkest reaches of Africa;  if there were a bunch of Bigfoot critters running around the US, we would have found them by now. 

Ghosts - oh, who knows.  There may be some alternate realm beyond death.  I don't believe in it, but it's possible. 

This stuff all makes for great movies that I really enjoy, but I just don't believe it's true. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2007, 10:24:44 AM »

I know what Jack is talking about, but I really think many give up and become skeptics. The reality is that most of us really don't look into these things and simply can't get around enough to spend time looking into such subjects. How many of us have actually spent enough time in the Pacific Northwest or the Himalayas to actually have a good feel for it. How many of us have hung around the Roosevelt Hotel to see if Marylin Monroe would show up? How many of us spend time around the Bay of Fundy to watch for underwater UFO's. How many of us go to latin America to look for the Chupacabra? How many of us have tried to seek out the Hollow Earth? How many have gone to vortexes or been involved with government experimentation? How many of us have blocked out things that aren't suppose to happen when in reality your neighbor is a reptilian shape-shifter. We've all read and simply sorted it out in our minds or seen a movie/documentary about them, but we really aren't in a position to know. Same goes for any story or news event you see on TV. Your not there and we simply are not in a position to know, so many of us give up and conclude that something doesn't exist or isn't true.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2007, 11:27:10 AM »

I suspect there's hundreds, perhaps thousands, of paranormal happenings that go unreported because there's often no proof so people don't talk about it. What happened to me was so terrifying and happened so fast the only thing I thought about was my survival.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2007, 04:52:40 PM »

Here's two links to Evening Telegram Ghost Story Columns. Both are pretty terrifying and the second one actually details an encounter with a possible Bigfoot.

http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=48572&sc=86

http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=45106&sc=86

The author of these articles has penned a book called "Haunted Shores".  It looks like something I'm definitely interested in checking out.

http://www.tidespoint.com/books/haunted_shores.shtml

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2007, 08:34:16 PM »

I would say I'm curious about Ghosts/UFO's.  Have been for the past 15 years or so, since I was about 8.  Really took an interest around 11/12. 

I am somewhat curious about the Bigfoot/Yeti.  Not enough to research too much, but just enough to not disbelieve either.

Too many weird things happen that we either don't know a thing about, or just can't be explained.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2007, 09:58:41 PM »

Belief is a favorite theme of mine.  First and foremost, I believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God.  I believe the Gospels are an accurate and reliable account of His life, death, and resurrection.

I believe in "Sea monsters", because the depths of the oceans are vast and unexplored, and anything could be down there.

I would desperately like to believe in Bigfoot, but the huge obstacle there is the lack of remains.  If these creatures are as intelligent (or more so) than chimps and great apes, they might could remain hidden - but somebody would have plowed up a skull or skeleton by now.

I used to believe in Nessie, but I think modern research has (sadly) just about ruled her existence out.

I don't believe in ghosts as lingering spirits of the departed, but I do believe in both demonic presences and "psychic echoes" of strong human emotions that can take on ghost-like form.

I certainly believe that many people have seen strange things in the skies, and my mind is open to the possibility of aliens, although their presence is highly improbable.  The conditions needed to sustain life on this (or any other planet) are so incredibly fine-tuned that for them to happen twice is almost a statistical impossibility.

Psychic abilities - I am fairly open minded about the possibility, but there are an awful lot of charlatans out there.

I also believe that Donald Trump may be the AntiChrist . . . .  Lookingup

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2007, 11:34:33 PM »

Nice thread, some good stories...(and by 'stories' I don't mean to discount the credibility of anything written, I just can't think of the right word...'encounters' maybe?)

Something that happened to me about about 2 years ago now, at around dusk time near my friends house in the countryside, I saw some dark black figure with no distinguishable features at all, yet somehow appeared to be dressed in medieval clothing -and I'm not sure why I would think that, I don't know much about medieval things- standing completely still in the middle of a little 5-6 metre long driveway leading to a house, and it was just staring at me as I walked down the lane past where the house was. So I turned to my friend I was walking with, who was a few steps behind me, and motioned with my arm to where I had been looking, he looked and immediately said "wow, it's a figure", almost as if he couldn't stop himself from saying it. And this happened at dusk, 8-9pm kind of time in the summer, but this figure standing no more than 2-3 meters away was completely pitch black from head to foot. We'd walked past the same driveway earlier in the day and there was definitely no statue or whatever in the middle of that driveway. So we just carried on walking. always wondered what that could have been...the weird thing is, it wasn't particularly scary as you might imagine, because whatever this thing was it had a very intense kind of warm, almost vulnerable aura to it... very strange. I wish we'd stayed longer to investigate but it was slightly freaky and we just kept walking as you probably would do...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Believe? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.