Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:30:09 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Twin Peaks « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Twin Peaks  (Read 17422 times)
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« on: May 14, 2007, 11:37:13 AM »

I just finished watching the entire series.  I bought the second season and then realized that the first one has been out of print for a while.  Luckily a friend of mine let me borrow it.  TeddyR

Anyways, I thoroughly enjoyed the series.  There were a couple of stinker episodes but on the whole it has to be one of the best acted and filmed series ever.  Everything was completely original and it really took a lot of chances with its subject matter(s).  I just wish they would have had a third season or at least a 2 hour wrap-up show.  The ending of the last episode messed with me big time.  Now, I understand "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me" a lot better now.  (I watched the movie before seeing the show).

Now, I have a big crush on Sherilyn Fenn.   Wink

What are you're thoughts?  I'd like to discus some things in the show (and the ending) with you guys.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 10:44:04 PM »

I'd need to get hold of season 1 first -- I didn't see it all.. :(

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 10:49:46 PM »

Probably an ultra-dumb question, but here goes:

can computers play DVDs from all regions?
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 11:50:56 PM »

My DVD drive let me choose which region to play, but locked out all the others after five uses or so.

Personally, I can't get enough of Twin Peaks.  I had the VHS boxed set a few years ago, so I've seen all the episodes (but not the pilot), and Fire Walk With Me is one of my favorite movies.  David Lynch was really firing on all cylinders with that one.  Of course, David Lynch firing on all cylinders is a very acquired taste.

I remember thinking while watching FWWM that the movie must elucidate all the stuff from the series, but after having seen the series that's not necessarily the case.

Season 2 has definitely got some long stretches of not goodness, but that final episode...

What did you want to talk about?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 07:51:33 AM »

Season 2 has definitely got some long stretches of not goodness, but that final episode...

What did you want to talk about?

****Spoilers****

If Mike (the one armed man) was good, why was he in the Black Lodge?  And, if he was evil, was his arm (the Man From Another Place) good.  Or was it the other way around.  Same thing with the old lady and her grandson. 

The thing I liked the least about the show was the whole Josie character arc.  She neither looked like a cunning killer nor a prostitute.  Dead people from her past would show up and exit with no real explanation as to who they are or what their back story was.  I wasn't sold on the tryst of Sheriff Truman and Josie either.  I don't know if it was because of the lack of chemistry between the actors or bad writing.  It didn't seem like the Sheriff and her seemed like a good match.  I almost stood up and cheered when Josie croaked.  (She wasn't hot either.  That slicked back, short haircut turned me off)

It seemed to me that Anne was a trap for Cooper.  She tried to commit suicide so I think that she was under the influence of the Black Lodge.  She seduces him and makes him doubt himself while in the Lodge allowing Bob to take him over.  The ending of the last episode freaked me out because I didn't see it coming.  I wish they would have had a wrap-up episode or TV movie or something.  You'd get to see a bad Ben Horne mourn the loss of his daughter.  Truman and Hawk track down the evil Cooper.  (Andy and/or the Log Lady would play a vital role...for some reason).  And Lynch said that another of Laura's relatives would come to town (played by Sheryl Lee).

I loved the show so much that I'm disappointed that there are still to this day so many loose ends.

****Spoliers End*****

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........

DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 08:19:18 AM »

Probably an ultra-dumb question, but here goes:

can computers play DVDs from all regions?

Computer monitors are oblivious to the color standard complications of TVs, so they can play PAL or NTSC with no problem.  As for region coding, though, if you live in America chances are you will only be able to play one region.  Most drives allow for a limited number of region changes (once you hit that limit you're stuck with it).  There is software that will fix this problem though.  For Windows systems, there's a program called DVDIdle that will "decrypt" the DVD before sending it to your playback program.  If you are particularly savvy, most drives have alternate "firmware" that you can download that will make them ignore to RC entries.  That's what I did for both my BenQ drives.  On the downside, the latter solution could make your drive stop working altogether if something goes awry.  TeddyR

But if you are considering ordering Twin Peaks from the UK, be careful.  The series that aired over there was recut to start and end in a single season.  I'd recommend it for the diehard Twin Peaks fans, but it will only serve to confuse someone who is trying to watch it with the American version.  For those who have seen the "uncut" pilot and wondered why they found Bob so quickly, that's why; the pilot released on VHS and DVD is the UK cut.

++josh;
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 08:40:50 AM »

Oh, and speaking of David Lynch, he is now selling his own blend of organic coffee from his website to finance his "independence".  Haha.  I ordered some and it's not half bad.  If you'll allow me to shamelessly plug my plug, I made a 60-second commercial for it.  It is a bit more inspired by his AFI work, like Eraserhead and The Alphabet, than Twin Peaks.  But I can't afford color film anyway.  TeddyR  You can see the recut internet version here:  http://www.dodginggrunge.com/crap.2.0/index.php?pIndex=266&thumbView=0

++josh;
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 08:12:24 PM »

****Spoilers****

If Mike (the one armed man) was good, why was he in the Black Lodge?  And, if he was evil, was his arm (the Man From Another Place) good.  Or was it the other way around.  Same thing with the old lady and her grandson. 

It seemed to me that Anne was a trap for Cooper.  She tried to commit suicide so I think that she was under the influence of the Black Lodge.  She seduces him and makes him doubt himself while in the Lodge allowing Bob to take him over.

****Spoliers End*****

I see now that it has been very long since I've watched all the episodes.  Probably close to ten years.  Most of my theories would be based off the movie, which is much more impressionistic.

Then there's this site.

I think the denizens of the Black Lodge, including Bob, the Man From Another Place and all the dopplegangers are beings that feed off of human emotions, the easiest to gather being the negative.  So I wouldn't say they are good or evil, but they're certainly detrimental to human wellness.  For various reasons, certain people become aware of the Lodge or are possessed by the beings thereof.  Mike was one of these, but turned away by cutting off his arm (the MFAP).  He's still aware of the Black Lodge, though, and tries to warn others away.

The Man From Another Place seems a lot less detrimental than Bob, who might as well be the epitome of evil, but I wouldn't cast him as blameless.  He's every bit as hungry as the others.

But why is the Lodge there at all?  Why must people go through it?  As a sort of transcendence into the White Lodge?  In the series, nobody succeeds.  Cooper failed miserably.  (Is Annie a trap?  Maybe a trapping, in a callous Buddhist sense.)  Other than the Angel, do we see the White Lodge at all?  It would be fitting to Lynch's world view if we are only ever privy to the Black Lodge.  Then again, the white/black pattern on the floor would indicate that both Lodges are exactly the same place, it all depends on how you approach them.

Yes, it would have been great, nay, awesome to have a third season, but you have to hand it to the show for having one of the most bizarre and downbeat endings of all time.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
BTB
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 10:19:24 AM »

Great show. I always tried not too interprete but let the impression take direct impact on me.  And it is a shame that Sherilynn Fenn did not achieve as much fame as Lara Flynn Boyle who is not half as talented and beautiful.

Spoiler:

As for the ending laura prophecies she will see Dale again in (don't know the corret number) years. Probably referring to the elder Dale we see in the show. So we know he won't be stuck forever.

To have no ideas and to express them
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 06:58:44 AM »

This is one of the greatest scenes ever to grace the small screen.  IMO, if you were able to flim a dream or nightmare, it would look something like this.

Small | Large

Neville

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 10:34:51 AM »

I love this show. I couldn't watch it during its first run, and kept wondering for years if it lived up to the hype. A couple of years ago a friend lent me his whole DVD set, and I watched in ecstasy during a couple of weeks.

It's hard to beat the suspense of the first season, but the thing that always caught me off guard was the humour, like when Ray Wise couldn't stop singing and dancing, or Miguell Ferrer's turn as an anti-social FBI agent.

The second series is not that good, true, but it's still quirky enough to deserve a viewing, and the final episode is edge-of-your-seat-stuff.

P.D: As for converting your PC DVD into a multi-zone player, there's an easy solution, a software called AnyDVD by Slysoft. It's around 30$ and among other stuff it unlocks DVD regions in your PC.

Info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anydvd

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
peter johnson

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 12:20:44 AM »

My David Lynch connections:
Sheryl (Somtimes Cheryl) Lee was a regular here in Colorado on the old HOMEMOVIES show that used to show on KBDI-TV-12.  I used to write skits & act for the show.  She figures prominently in several skits, including a favorite Valentine's Day one that ran in '87(?) or so, wherein her blind date is the Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Wiley Harker, who taught a lot of locals here about acting, figures prominently as the WW2/Normandy vet in "The Straight Story".  Wiley was a real local yokel character for years.
Never met Lynch proper . . .
pj/dc

I have no idea what this means.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Twin Peaks « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.