Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:13:34 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Dust Devil (1992) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dust Devil (1992)  (Read 6297 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 16, 2007, 06:16:58 PM »

(Note: I watched the so-called "final cut" of this movie)

Mmmm... This is one weird movie, and I barely know how to start. It's the second film by Southafrican filmmaker Richard Stanley, the first being the stylish "Harware", which as arty as film with a killer robot can be.

This one is a road movie with serial killer, but also much more. Stanley seems interested on this minimal story only as far as he can use it to connect it to other topics, such as racism (the film is not set in the southwest of the USA, as the pic seems to suggest, but in Namibia), legends about shape-shifting spirits, human sacrifices, etc.

The result reminds me of what little African literature I've read. The deliberate pace and the significance of the plot remind me of Coetzee, who often transforms extremely physical, realistic situations into morality tales. The ankward use of time (rather than in a timeline, the film seems set on a suspended unit of time), the constant mix between reality and dream, or dream and  fantasy is also a staple in other African writers.

Is it any good? I can't tell, really. Stanley certainly has an eye for the oniric, his use of film editing, which often places "alien" images or whole scenes inside others, is simply amazing. Take your wildest dream, and it probably be strikingly similar to the images of this movie.

As an story, however, the film is harder to sell. There's a plot, yes, and a beginning and an end, but that's all you'll find here that resembles a narration.

Arrakis, Dune. Land of spice, of giant worms. Center of the Universe.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 07:45:19 PM »

Read something about DUST DEVIL a couple months ago and it got some good reviews on imdb.com. Was thinking about renting it.

Neville

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 03:31:22 AM »

If you rent it, make sure it is the director's cut. Apparently, the film was rushed into postproduction and Richard Stanley wasn't allowed to approve the final cut.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Scott

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 11:27:01 PM »

DUST DEVIL is being release on DVD September 27th. Looks very interesting.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=PrPSuTEISpg

Torgo

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 09:39:27 PM »

I've got the limited edition multi-disc edition of Dust Devil.

It's really cool, you get the final cut, a work print version with additional footage and 2 more discs that have some of Stanley's documentaries on them.

A 5th disc contains the soundtrack to the film.

Well worth tracking down.  I got mine for only 18.99

As for the film itself, the movie does seem to be nonsensical at times, but it does kind of make sense. I think that the thing that threw me for a loop was the ending.  Not to give away too much, was it all in her head?  Was the Dust Devil just a figment of her cracking mind?

A beautiful film that I've found a lot of people like to appreciate rather than like.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Scott

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 11:38:16 PM »

You know I got the September 27th info from Youtube and perhaps it was September 27th 2006 because I just saw it at Best Buy after making this post. It's available now as Torgo also has a copy.

Torgo

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 10:27:08 PM »

You know I got the September 27th info from Youtube and perhaps it was September 27th 2006 because I just saw it at Best Buy after making this post. It's available now as Torgo also has a copy.

I forgot to mention  that I got my copy right after it was released.

I know that they've since re-released  the film in a single disc version that only contains the 1st disc, but I've still seen the 5 disc edition at a few places near where I live in Roanoke, VA.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Dust Devil (1992) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.