Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:05:00 PM
713353 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Pan's Labyrinth « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Pan's Labyrinth  (Read 20924 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: May 21, 2007, 09:37:55 PM »

Neville first discussed this film some time ago:

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,110772.0.html

I just finished watching this film and must say, it is a movie that will haunt me for some time.  At first, you think it might be something of a children's fairy tale.  It is anything, but that.  The Faun, his faeries, and the three tasks demanded of the little girl are a beautifully woven tale that intricately meshes with the rest of the story - that which is "real" to the adults.  It is going to be a film I will mull over when I have free time to think, because the truth of what happened is hard to grasp.

Superb film, dark and, if I had to describe it in a single word, haunting.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 08:32:49 AM »

I have this on my NetFlix list, and I'm waiting impatiently for it.  I'm actually going to watch Del Toro's earlier film The Devil's Backbone either today or tomorrow, whenever I get a chance. 

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
dean

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 08:51:20 AM »

I thought it was superb, and yes very haunting.  The scene with the 'Children Eater' was particularly well done.  I loved that creature.

This is the type of movie I'd love to see more of: Twisted, scary fairy-tales that are very much not geared for children, but for more adult fare.  Very much one of my top films I've seen recently.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 10:35:15 AM »

I thought it was superb, and yes very haunting.  The scene with the 'Children Eater' was particularly well done.  I loved that creature.

The faeries, the Faun, and the eater of children were all beautifully designed.  Not only that, but each was perfectly placed into the story.  Not only were they fantastic, but each fit a purpose.

But yes, wow, the part of the movie with the eater of children was amazingly well done.  Scary, even to an adult.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 11:20:29 AM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 11:07:43 AM »

I was at Borders yesterday and noticed this film title. Will rent it when I get a chance.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 05:39:42 PM »

I picked up the double disc that have for the film and watched it last week.  I've been meaning to post about it here but haven't found the time.

I was actually quite surprised by the flick.  I've been reading reviews about it for what seems like years now, and I was always under the assumption it would be a big huge fairy tale with a Del Toro twist to it.  I was surprised to find it to be a much more important film than that, a film that expertly mixes the fairy tale portions with reality. 

Possible Spoiler!

The only thing I disliked about the film was that the viewer knows how it'll end at the beginning.  I would have been much more moved by the ending had I not seen it coming.

Other than that, I highly recommend the film.  It's beautiful and heartbreaking.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 06:07:20 PM »

Awesome, incredible movie, saw it in the theatres, now own a copy. An interesting bit of trivia: Del Toro kept a notebook filled with all his ideas for the movie in it; he ended up leaving it in the back of a cab by accident and was forced to work on other projects instead. However, the cab driver found it, and, realizing its importance, got it back to the director at great personal expense. Del Toro decided it was fated to be made after all; the rest is history.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Torgo

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 09:41:02 PM »

I have this on my NetFlix list, and I'm waiting impatiently for it.  I'm actually going to watch Del Toro's earlier film The Devil's Backbone either today or tomorrow, whenever I get a chance. 

Loved that film up until about the last 15 mintues in which I thought it just fell completely apart.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
CoreyHeldpen
Bad Movie Lover

I think these komodos need to leave this cruise.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 09:47:32 PM »

The faeries, the Faun, and the eater of children were all beautifully designed.  Not only that, but each was perfectly placed into the story.  Not only were they fantastic, but each fit a purpose.

But yes, wow, the part of the movie with the eater of children was amazingly well done.  Scary, even to an adult.

The Children Eater, by the way, is called the Pale Man.

Just thought you'd like to know. I'd love to see this movie. Actually, i think I'll add it to me Netflix que right now.

"The only three things I hate are demons, malfunctioning robots, and monster movies that don't show you the monster."
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 06:29:02 AM »

Loved that film up until about the last 15 mintues in which I thought it just fell completely apart.

I watched this last night and loved it.  I don't know if I agree about the end falling apart, but it did feel a bit rushed.  The parts with the ghost were wonderful though, and the story itself was compelling. 

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Neville

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 06:19:41 PM »

Glad you boys are enjoying this one. It's posibly the best fantasy film I saw last year. I can't wait for Del Toro's next film, although it is a sequel to "Hellboy", one of my least favourite Del Toro films.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 01:36:25 AM »

The film he's doing after Hellboy 2 sounds to have a bit of promise.  It sounds almost like it's in the same vein as The Devil's Backbone, if not a sequel of sorts, called 3993

Oh, and Pan's Labyrinth was breath-taking and very powerful.  I enjoyed it immensely.
Him
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 02:06:44 AM »

well I guess i'll chime in. I thought Pan's Labyrinth sucked big time. It was basically a slasher film disquised as a fantasy film. I didn't find it very deep at all. The plot was all over the place, and the film didn't know what it wanted to be.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 03:57:10 AM »

I haven't been scared by a 'monster' in a while, but I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one impressed and unsettled by this one.
Anyone hesitant should bump this up on their list, and find a plasma screen if possible.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Neville

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 04:40:50 AM »

The film he's doing after Hellboy 2 sounds to have a bit of promise.  It sounds almost like it's in the same vein as The Devil's Backbone, if not a sequel of sorts, called 3993

Oh, and Pan's Labyrinth was breath-taking and very powerful.  I enjoyed it immensely.

He's confirmed in interviews that it is the final chapter on a trilogy of sorts, completed by "devil's backbone" and "Pan's labyrinth". He also says the story will be set in the 1990s, although the roots of the story will be on Spanish Civil War (1936-39), as in the previous chapters of the trilogy.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Pan's Labyrinth « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.