Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:24:23 AM
713407 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Pan's Labyrinth « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Pan's Labyrinth  (Read 20929 times)
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 06:52:20 AM »

I got to watch Pan's Labyrinth last night, and I was as impressed with it as I was with The Devil's Backbone.  The Eater of Children was frightening, or maybe I should say disturbing.  The ending wasn't a surprise, but then in fairy tales it really never is.  Del Toro is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 10:57:33 AM »

I'm a little sore at this film.  I took a date to see it thinking it would be a very artistic film.  Instead it had more gore then most action movies.  Not exactly a good date movie to say the least.

Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 11:05:58 AM »

I'm a little sore at this film.  I took a date to see it thinking it would be a very artistic film.  Instead it had more gore then most action movies.  Not exactly a good date movie to say the least.

Well, at least you didn't take her to see "Legend of the Overfiend."   BounceGiggle

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 11:28:51 AM »

Maybe I've been watching too many gory films lately, but I didn't think this one was all that gory. 

Neville

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 03:08:26 PM »

It's not the "quantity" but the "quality". There's not much blood, but there are plenty of disturbing scenes, like the ones concerning Captain Vidal's activities.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
MoronBoy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 08:19:46 PM »

I kinda like how the Faun ended up asking Ofelia for the same thing the Captain was asking people for: Unquestioned Obedience.

The Captain made for a great villain in the movie. One of the first times in a long time I felt a deep hatred for the bad guy during a movie, rather than wanting to see him come out the victor or just feeling nothing.

The woman working the counter at the local video store told me that the movie was subtitled and asked if I was okay with that. That made me wonder just how many people came back to the store returning the movie complaining that they wanted to watch a movie, not read a book.
Neville

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 04:32:59 AM »

Yeah, it's hard to believe that's still happening. Here the DVD of "Letters from Iwo Jima" features a prominent sticker "warning" people it is a subtiltled film. Yawn. And I still have friends who will refuse to watch anything with subtitles.

At least I won the battle of widescreen thanks to http://www.widescreen.org/ They made the effort as soon as they saw with their own eyes they were watxching only 50% of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. I recommend you to pay a visit to that page, even if you already watch everything in widescreen, it's amazing to see the difference.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 07:14:22 AM »

I wonder if it's a US thing, because I do know people who get grouchy at the thought of listening to something in a language they don't know while reading subtitles.  It might be because most of us don't travel often outside this country and so don't learn even a small amount of other languages.  Or we could just be lazy.

Dubbing Pan's Labyrinth would ruin the Faun IMO, because his voice was one of the best features.  Plus I can't stand dubbing.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 07:30:22 AM »

I kinda like how the Faun ended up asking Ofelia for the same thing the Captain was asking people for: Unquestioned Obedience.

That is a really good point and one I'd missed.  The film is very complex at times; I'm sure that it will take me a couple of viewings to catch many of the nuances that escaped me.  The Captain was a down right bastard the whole time.  I was happy that Mercedes said what she did, at the very end.  The look on his face was priceless.

Subtitled films never bother me and I've always loved the original widescreen versions.  Over the years, I have convinced a number of people (Katie included) that they shouldn't be watching cropped versions of movies.  When we finally upgrade our TV, I plan on getting a widescreen one.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Neville

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2007, 08:06:13 AM »

I wonder if it's a US thing, because I do know people who get grouchy at the thought of listening to something in a language they don't know while reading subtitles.  It might be because most of us don't travel often outside this country and so don't learn even a small amount of other languages.  Or we could just be lazy.

Dubbing Pan's Labyrinth would ruin the Faun IMO, because his voice was one of the best features.  Plus I can't stand dubbing.

It's the same here in spain. I'm told other European countries get their foreign (even American) films subtitled, but here everything released is dubbed. In bigger cities you can choose between dubbed or subtitled copies when you go to the theatre, but it is a rarity to find subtitled films in smaller cities like mine.

It's ironic you mention the Faun voice, as he is played by an American actor, Doug Jones, and hence is dubbed in all versions.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2007, 08:48:06 AM »

It's ironic you mention the Faun voice, as he is played by an American actor, Doug Jones, and hence is dubbed in all versions.

Ha!  I hadn't thought about that.  If I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember reading an article saying that Jones also played the "children eater" in the film.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 11:17:56 AM »

Ha!  I hadn't thought about that.  If I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember reading an article saying that Jones also played the "children eater" in the film.

You're right....I just went to IMDB, and Doug Jones did indeed play both characters.  His accent was excellent then, at least to my ears. 

About the father figures in the movie......she did seem to think that to be a good daughter, she had to be 100% obedient.  I'm wondering, was that because of the period she grew up in or was the Faun that demanding because her stepfather was? 

Neville

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007, 01:30:31 PM »

It was the period. My granny is only 10 years older in comparison (she's 91 now) and her education was very strict, compared to today's standards. She's lived through way more flexible times, but she still thinks children must never disagree with their parents, not even if they are over 60, as my father is.

daveblackeye15

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2007, 04:27:36 PM »

I had a great time with this movie. I thought there would be more fantasy to it, I heard very little about it. The Pale Man was definetly the most haunting thing to me.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2007, 11:47:10 PM »

I liked it, but I guess I was expecting more from the Guillermo del Toro who as a rule has made some good films. It wasn't a bad film but I can't pin it down ... something was missing. Still fun to watch though, love those fantasy type stuff.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Pan's Labyrinth « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.