Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:08:13 PM
714316 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  White Ghost (1988) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: White Ghost (1988)  (Read 4154 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 23, 2007, 05:19:57 PM »

One of my fondest B-movie memories ever was watching Back-2-Nam action movies in the 80s, way before I had use of reason. Had I had any, I would have written down the titles, but then, in that case I probably wouldn't have enjoyed them.

So, basically, now and then if I hear of any of those cheesy 80s action flicks appearing on TV I try hard not to miss them, even if I only watch 10 minutes. But today, surprise, surprise, I got to find a little gem. Not a great flick, not even a decent one, but cheesy and kinda fun at the same time. Ready?

July '72. Vietnam. Lt. Steve Shepard missing in action. Presumed dead...15 years later he's still there.

...And that's how the movie begins. There's a VERY white man (William Katt, of "Great American Hero") still living in 'Nam. We see him avoiding a NVA (although they probably call themselves something longer now) patrol. See, the locals know of a "white ghost" living in their forest-looking jungle, but they don't do much about it, apart from patrolling here and there. Which is sort of bizarre, because we later learn he has a Vietnamese wife (!) and lives in a big wooden hut in the middle of the forest (!!) where he even keeps an American flag (!!!). So much for blending in.

Anyhow, the movie really picks up when some people in Washington learn from a radio transmission that William Katt is still in there, so they sent a group of mercs to rescue him. Only that part of the team is somebody who has an old score to settle with Katt.

What else to say? There's unintentional hilarity, like when Katt knocks out a Vietnamese soldier by punching his nuts, lots of trees, lots of squibs, booby traps, mines, a horrible synth score and a Vietnamese officer that is adequately sadistic when the script calls for it. The good news are that a) Katt is laughable when it comes to martial arts and looking tough, but he's more likeable than most of the "actors" who graced this kind of movies and b) that despite the numerous plot holes, the film is so action-packed and briskly paced that I would say it's a must see for 80s Vietnam action film fans.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 06:35:17 PM by Neville » Logged

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Dolph Lundgren
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 06:03:54 PM »

Sounds completely awesome for all the wrong reasons.  Yet another one that slipped under the radar I'll have to track down.

Just out of curiosity, Neville: what other 80s Vietnam movies would you recommend that you can remember?
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 06:06:39 PM »

Only that part of the team is somebody who has an old score to settle with Katt.
Big Ben?

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Neville

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 06:11:32 PM »

Er... I don't get the joke  Question

To Dolph Lundgren: That's the problem, I can't remember a thing of the 'Nam movies I saw as a kid, except they had Hueys and gunfire, and I don't think that will help to narrow them down. Among the ones I've been watching recently, I'd recommend "The siege of firebase Gloria". Oh, and the "Tour of Duty" TV series, I've been watching some Season 1 chapters and it's a surprisingly decent series.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 06:27:54 PM by Neville » Logged

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 09:12:28 PM »

Heh, when I read the title of this thread it reminded me of the "Grey Ghost" episode of the animated Batman series where this washed up hollywood superhero actor (voiced by Adam West!) has to help Bats in one of his crime busters.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Dolph Lundgren
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 06:01:21 PM »

Quote from: Neville

To Dolph Lundgren: That's the problem, I can't remember a thing of the 'Nam movies I saw as a kid, except they had Hueys and gunfire, and I don't think that will help to narrow them down. Among the ones I've been watching recently, I'd recommend "The siege of firebase Gloria". Oh, and the "Tour of Duty" TV series, I've been watching some Season 1 chapters and it's a surprisingly decent series.

I've heard a lot of great things about Siege of Firebase Gloria.  I'll be sure to check it out, provided I can find a copy.

You'd recommend Tour of Duty, then?  It's one of those series I've always passed by, thought about blind buying, but never took the plunge.  Do you think it holds up to repeated viewings?
Neville

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 03:32:29 AM »

I'd say it does, yeas. It's got three seasons, and they are all on DVD. Buying the first one is a safe bet, if you like 'Nam movies. It's 21 episodes long, and they all are independent, so once you've seen them once you don't need to follow any particular order.

Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 06:12:04 AM »

Only that part of the team is somebody who has an old score to settle with Katt.
Big Ben?

that actually made me chuckle a little.  TeddyR
Neville

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 06:31:15 AM »

Can anybody explain that?  Question

(Checks Google)

Ah, alright. It's been a while since I last saw "House".
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 06:34:13 AM by Neville » Logged

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 08:34:57 AM »

Buggedout

This film was made in South Africa during the so-called "film boom" period of the late 1980's when overseas film companies streamed in here to attempt to take advantage of the very lax and loophole filled subsidy system that was in place then.  Twirling

Other Nam movies made here include the Michael Dudikoff epic Platoon Leader  TongueOut

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Neville

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 04:44:46 PM »

"Platoon leader"... (vows)

The king of all the "Platoon" clones out there, helmed by Chuck Norris' brother and starring the one and only Michael Dudikoff. I *need* to watch that one again, i remember watching it when I was 15 and loving every minute of it.

And you forgot to mention what probably is the best know of those action flicks made in South Africa: "Red Scorpion". It has everything: glistening pecs (the other Dolph Lundgren's), rock music, native extras, M. Emmet Walsh, stupid dialogue and lots of pretension. I looked for information on the film some time ago and found some articles on the net that implied some sort of related economic scandal.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 02:07:53 AM »

TeddyR Hi Neville (and Terence)

Yes, I forgot about that one and you're right: that film's proceeds and royalties were supposed to benefit the Bushmen / San communities and they never got any money from Messrs Abramhoff etc. That was quite a scandal in SA, I can tell you.

Best line:

Russian Spetznatz commander: "Are you out of your mind?"
Dolph: [burps] "No, out of bullets!"  BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  White Ghost (1988) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.