Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:43:50 PM
713352 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Classic/well known films you still haven't seen... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: Classic/well known films you still haven't seen...  (Read 43158 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 27, 2007, 11:18:02 PM »

It's a film you've heard about several times.. maybe it's considered a classic, or maybe just lots of people you know have seen it.  Maybe you're not interested, or maybe you just haven't gotten around to it, but what are some classic or at least semi-well known films you haven't seen?

Here's some of mine...

Schindler's List - Well, I've heard it's really good, but the main way I watch movies is through my three at a time netflix queue, and there always seems to be a film or tv series that keeps pushing this one back down.  I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.

Casablanca - Dunno, something just tells me it's one of those films that, as a fan of cinema in general, you just gotta see.  I mean, it's referenced to and looked at some much, seems like it's mandatory...

The Godfather Films - This will shock, but i have yet to see any of these three films in their entirity.  Yes, I've seen bits and piece here and there over the years, but something always came up during viewing that I'd have to do something else.

About any Western - Dunno.. I wasn't into Western when I was younger (course, my attention span was a lot shorter back then) and I'm sure there's a lot of them I'd probably enjoy, but haven't got around to them, although I do have Once Upon A Time In the West in my netflix queue.  Think the last western film I saw was The Quick and The Dead.  (Oh, and Serenity.. that had western elements to it, even though it's not a pure western.)

Charlie and Chocolate Factory - Seen the original (Willy Wonka, I mean) but, I dunno... love Tim Burton's films, but in the previews WW always looks a bit too much like Michael Jackson for my tastes... It's in my queue, so I'll get to it eventually...

Hotel Rwanda - see Schindler's List

The Island - now, this is actually near the top of my queue, it's a Michael Bay film, so I know kind of what to expect...

That's just a short list, maybe I'll add more later...

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 02:34:29 AM »

never seen schindler's list or cassablanca either...

dont think Ive seen any woody allen film except  for 'bananas'

american graffitti - supposed to be a classic, never seen it.

apocalypse, now- ditto...

other allegedly decent or classic films that Ive  never seen:

thelma & louise , some like it hot , streetcar named desire , fast times at ridgemont high , assault on precinct 13 , its a wonderful life , heat , when harry met sally ,  deliverance , full metal jacket , raging bull, rocky(any of them).

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 06:57:45 AM »

I never seen DRACULA, only clips,untill 1997! (I'm so ashamed.) Also....
.Any of the STAR WARS sequels
.LotR movies
.Casablanca,though I own it!
.DUNE
.Just viewed BLADE RUNNER last week!
.PLATOON
.TITANIC
.ET
.the 1942 version of DR>JEKYLL and MR>HYDE
.the Claude Rains PHANTOM of the OPERA
.ROCKY,or any of it's sequels
.Any Rambo movie beyond FIRST BLOOD
I'm sure there are more...now movies I reaaaly want to see,but never have...the crazy Bigfoot,gut slinger movie NIGHT of the DEMON,(which I found out about here!),the uncut version of I DRINK YOUR BLOOD,more SANTO's movies,any of the German Robles vampire movies,FACE of the SCREAMING WEREWOLF...oh,lots more!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 08:04:34 AM »

I've yet to see any of the Matrix films, because I don't care for Keanu Reeves.  I know they're supposed to be worth watching, but they just don't appeal to me.

I haven't seen Saw or its sequel either, along with films like The Devil's Rejects, Hostel, and the like because I don't care for the torture subgenre of horror.  I can take the gore of zombie or werewolf flicks, but for the most part I can't stand it.

As for classic films, I haven't seen The Maltese Falcon, On the Waterfront, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and quite a few others. 

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 10:42:39 AM »

The only classic Westerns I've seen are HIGH NOON and HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER (well unless you count WESTWORLD). Don't recall seeing any of John Wayne or Clint Eastwood's classics (Westerns or otherwise aside from DRIFTER). Actually I don't think I've ever seen any John Wayne movie in full but did catch the tail end of a war picture than looked fantastic (I've always rather liked war pictures but for some reason was never all that attracted to Westerns). Think the war film was called THE SEA CHASE.

Still have some classic Hitchcock and many Akira Kurosawa films to see. I've never seen Schindler's List either.  And add the Godfather films to those I have yet to see as well.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 07:40:08 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jordan
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Thunderball Fists?! I can have such a thing?!

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 11:08:05 AM »

There's two movies that particularly seem to haunt me, and will until I watch them.

Wedding Crashers and A Clockwork Orange. It seems that these two come up a lot in conversation and every time I tell someone I haven't seen them, I get the patented "YOU didn't see a movie?!"  Buggedout comment. Methinks that I'll have to do a double feature one of these nights so I can move on with my life.

-----
The Vault Master
Caretaker of The B-Movie Film Vault
-----
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 04:16:57 PM »

Schindler's List is an extremely powerful film.
You won't soon forget it.

Hotel Rwanda wasn't good. (I thought it wasn't)
They needed to show more of the serious violence that went on there to really give us the full impact of the genocide.
They didn't do that.

Never seen any of the Godfather films or Casablanca either.

The Island was actually pretty decent.
I'm not a big Michael Bay fan, but I liked that movie.

The Devil's Rejects stands out from those others Snivelly mentioned.
It doesn't really have much torture and the characters are all really well developed.
Heck, you even start to care for the bad guys in the end of it.  Strange as that may sound.
Read this

Didn't care for The Wedding Crashers and A Clockwork Orange is a classic!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcbQ1RIStus

« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 04:29:48 PM by Ash » Logged
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 06:01:38 PM »

My list is the same as BTM, except I've seen The Island (no big loss if you didn't, extremely mediocre film IMO). There's a few others that I remember people speak of, like On Golden Pond., anything past the first Austin Powers (and the first one was kinda forced on me).
The only western I've ever seen and liked was "Draw", never seen any of the Godfather films. Also, I've never seen Silence of the Lambs. I've watched 2001 S.O. and 2010, but not been able to stay awake through them. It's been a while though.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Pilgermann

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 06:10:31 PM »

I've never seen any John Wayne films.
The Godfather films.
Casablanca
Full Metal Jacket
A Clockwork Orange (I have a burned copy)
Lawrence of Arabia
Pulp Fiction (I own the DVD)
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Goodfellas
The Usual Suspects
Every Hitchcock film except Vertigo (which I love)
I guess I could list tons of others.  I'm looking at IMDB's top 250 now and there's a lot on there.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 06:17:56 PM »

I've never seen SCHINDLER'S LIST or A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, either.  For those that have not seen CASSABLANCA, it's well worth a look.

A couple of others that come to mind that I've never seen:

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (original or remake)
GONE WITH THE WIND
ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW
BAD TASTE
A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE
CITIZEN KANE
THE EVIL DEAD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 09:20:04 PM »

If I see these films I think my movie viewing will be complete.

El Topo
Holy Mountain
Faster p***ycat Kill Kill
The Nightcomers
Tepepa
The Hunting Party
Johnny Got His Gun
Vixens
Supervixens
Ilsa The Wicked Warden

Maybe a few more Emanuelle films starring Laura Gemser and maybe a few Japanese films like BLIND BEAST. An some more Euro films of like nature.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 09:22:24 PM by Scott » Logged

raj

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 12:58:14 PM »

Haven't seen any Kurosawa films, even though everyone at the dojo raves about them.  Just laziness, I guess.  Nor Schindler's List.

I have seen It's a Wonderful Life, though.  Once.  My brother-in-law -- who's Jewish and doesn't particularly care for Christmas -- watches it every year.  To me, it's ok, but I don't understand the hoopla surrounding it.
El Dogo
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 05:56:28 PM »

Probably the most egregious lapse is the original King Kong.  I've seen the Peter Jackson remake, but I've never gotten around to the classic.

I've never seen Gone With the Wind either, but that's the one super classic movie I have no desire to watch.

I also don't think I've ever seen a single John Wayne film, nor have I seen Schinder's List.  But I do want to sometime.  It's heretical, but I've never been at all interested in the Duke.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 06:37:57 PM »

Probably the most egregious lapse is the original King Kong.  I've seen the Peter Jackson remake, but I've never gotten around to the classic.

I've never seen Gone With the Wind either, but that's the one super classic movie I have no desire to watch.

I also don't think I've ever seen a single John Wayne film, nor have I seen Schinder's List.  But I do want to sometime.  It's heretical, but I've never been at all interested in the Duke.

The original "King Kong" is a good one.  Classic monster mayhem, without anyone trying to add anything deep to the characters or plot.  Kong and the hero both want Ann because she is beautiful.  It goes on like that.  Speaking about it reminds me that I really need to get that DVD and watch the film again.

I'd suggest seeing "Gone With the Wind" once, just so you've seen it.  Besides, heck, giant squid out of nowhere!

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 08:56:39 PM »

The only classic Westerns I've seen are HIGH NOON and HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER. Don't recall seeing any of John Wayne or Clint Eastwood's classics.  Actually I don't think I've ever seen any John Wayne movie in full but did catch the tail end of a war picture than looked fantastic (I've always rather liked war pictures but for some reason was never all that attracted to Westerns). Think the war film was called THE SEA CHASE.

Still have some classic Hitchcock and many Akira Kurosawa films to see. I've never seen Schindler's List either.  And add the Godfather films to those I have yet to see as well.
I am impressed with how many here haven't seen THE GODFATHER (s). 
To those who don't like westerns, I must recommend Henry Fonda, Victor Mature, Linda Darnell and Walter Brennan in John Ford's MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (1946) . . . the archetypal western, violent and resolved, unexpected and symbolic.  Jase, amazed you haven't seen Clint Eastwood in THE GOOD THE BAD THE UGLY!  In THE SEA CHASE, John Wayne plays a German ship captain! 
I've never seen any John Wayne films.
Some would say you ain't missin' much. 

If I see these films I think my movie viewing will be complete.
El Topo
***etc.
Ilsa The Wicked Warden
Scott, you are in good shape if those are the only "classics" you're missing (I recommend FASTER p***yCAT KILL! KILL!) 

I've never seen SCHINDLER'S LIST or A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, either.  TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (original or remake)
GONE WITH THE WIND
etc.
A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE
Apparently many have not seen SCHINDLER'S LIST which is a strong film, but I am not a fan of GONE WITH THE WIND (its not bad, just exactly what you expect and longer).  However, ulthar, you're missing some essentials for any good or bad movie fan: ROCKY HORROR, EVIL DEAD and CITIZEN KANE. 

To anyone who hasn't seen CASABLANCA, it is exactly what you expect, not long enough, and at least as great as everyone has always told you . . .

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Classic/well known films you still haven't seen... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.