Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:18:17 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Cast Away (2000) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cast Away (2000)  (Read 9849 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: May 28, 2007, 08:51:21 PM »

CAST AWAY (2000) - Tom Hanks stranded on a deserted island in the Pacific Ocean. Good film about isolation and lost. Had me captivated all the way through the film. You don't hear much about this film, but I think it's one of the best of that time period. Tom Hanks is a Fedral Express executive making sure things get done on time around the world. His Fed-X plane crashes into the ocean and as lone survivor he finds himself on an island and adopts a volleyball as his companion. Just an interesting story that is almost in league with FORREST GUMP (1994). Watched it on WTBS last night. The film gives us a little hope at the very end which helps the character get over a major hurdle in life. 

Thumbup Thumbup (8 out of 10 Stars) If the film touches a cord with you then it might be a 9 out of 10.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 09:22:56 PM »

I enjoyed CAST AWAY quite a bit, and I find it holds up over repeated (well, a few) viewings.  It is my opinion that this movie shows the power of Hanks' acting (yes, I happen to believe Tom Hanks is perhaps the best actor working today - certainly top five).  He communicates so much in this movie with very little dialog.

One thing I like about this flick is that, with subtlety, it is set-up that he is very smart, mathematically inclined and an avid sailor.  So, the astronomical work, navigation and engineering he does to get off the island is actually believable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 10:19:27 PM »

I also watched this on TBS last night.
Its been a few years since I last saw it and it was still as good as the last time I watched it.

Chuck Noland was a man whose life was a slave to the clock.
But once he landed on the island...time didn't matter anymore.

And how about the scene where he knocks his tooth out with an ice skate?
I can't even begin to imagine how bad that must've hurt.   Buggedout
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 07:58:32 AM by Ash » Logged
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 07:13:46 PM »

The sad part is...Wilson is a better actor than most in the buisness nowadays!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
dean

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 03:58:00 AM »

This is a good one that always seems to slip by unnoticed when it's on TV here.  But I thought it was quite good, and was a nice departure from the norm: a film where the majority of it is one person?  Not often you see that.  I wonder, was it a success at the box office?

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 05:52:49 AM »

Hey!

Look who's got their own page

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1012434/   TeddyR
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 10:35:38 PM by Ash » Logged
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 12:03:40 AM »

Hey!

Look who's got their own page

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1012434/   TeddyR

dead link 404

T-Rex Television
Dedicated Viewer

I Am The Walrus!!

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 12:53:13 AM »

Aww, Cast Away is so sad. When Wilson falls off the raft and floats away, and Tom Hanks is frantically swinning after him, or trying to, and calling his name. But he can't swim anymore and can't leave the raft behind so he floats away forever. He was so sad and crying after, aww. Shows both how he was losing his mind, and how human love and compassion is so vibrant and large part of human's life that it would ever be put into an non-human object if no humans, or animals like pets, are available.

"Be still my dog of war, I understand your pain. We have all lost someone we love..."

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 10:50:12 PM »

Cast Away is pretty good.

Wilson rocks, too.  He carried it.  Lookingup

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Torgo

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 10:31:35 PM »

Cast Away was a solid film.  Does anyone else remember that they gave away the entire movie's plot  in the trailer including him getting off the island?  Robert Zemeckis seems to do that with a lot of his films for whatever reason.

I think that the movie would have worked better if he hadn't gotten off of the island and ended up completely insane.  But that's just me.  They could've had an ending like Brazil or something where you think he's escaped the island but it's just all in his head.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 10:38:42 PM »

It might just be me, but I'd like more buddy comedies where the buddy is an inanimate object.  But next time instead of a volleyball, maybe like, a safetly pin. 

I liked Cast Away though.  Not my favorite Tom Hanks flick, but decent.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 06:25:55 AM »

This was a good film.  I remember Tom Hanks was nominated for an Oscar for his performance, and he should have won.  Instead, they gave it to Russel Crowe for Gladiator, which looking back was his most one-dimensional and weak role.  He's since gone on to do much better roles, but they won't give him Oscars for those.  If this doesn't show how the Academy awards only mediocrity, I don't know what does. 

Anyway, I agree on Wilson.  Though I think no other actor could have made the whole thing work like Hanks did. 
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Cast Away (2000) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.