Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:45:04 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  There are two types of boys.. what type were you? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: There are two types of boys.. what type were you?  (Read 19922 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 05, 2007, 10:03:22 AM »

They say there were two main types of boys growing up... those that are into action figures, and those that are into cars and trains (and, I suppose there were also those into knitting, but that's a different thread).

If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say most of the men posting here where the former.

That who I was... I liked action figures Gi Joes, Transformers, and, of coruse, Star Wars.  Also had an army of plastic reptiles, dinosaurs, snakes, and the occasionally glow in the dark bug (yes, I know bugs aren't reptiles.)  Also loved MUSCLE Things (these one inch plastic figures that came in a variety of weird forms), and had about twenty of Battle Beasts (in fact, still have them today.)

Sadly, of my three nephews two of them are definitely car/train kids, so I can't related to them (third's autistic, think he's mainly into opening and closing doors.. and NO, i'm not making fun for him for that.)

Ahh.. kids these days.

I liked cars on occasion myself, but usually when I got Hot Wheels or Matchbox, I usually tried to get construction or military vehicles (could always use a tank or jet fighter in my games).

Never really did much with "building" toys like Legos and Lincoln logs.  Mainly I just used them as props for whatever story my action figures were acting out (usually the small lincoln logs served as barrels of something or other) that or used them to build walls that one character would toss another through.

Man, I'm miss my childhood some days... :( 

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »

They say there were two main types of boys growing up... those that are into action figures, and those that are into cars and trains (and, I suppose there were also those into knitting, but that's a different thread).

A little of both. Would have liked to have had a collection of G.I. Joe's, but I was only able to get one of the cheaper version called Action Jackson, but then again I had literally a thousand green army men. Also had sets of different ones like Calvary, WWII German Soldiers, Cowboys, Indians. These were my action figures. Use to build fortresses and trenches outdoors and throw rocks at them or set them up inside and bounce a rubber ball off the wall which would come back and knock over the plastic figures. All the while recalling my favorite film PORK CHOP HILL.

Flame Thrower Guy

Yep, I had them all tinker cars, matchbox, and my favorite Hot Wheels and Johnny Lightings. Use to bang them up with rocks to make them look cool like the ones at the local raceway.

Also use to have electric race cars by Aurora and Tyco with the snap together tracks. Really liked those.

My brother had the train set. We use to set up the village with all the scale housing and back then there was this stuff called green slime in a can and I would have the town attacked by green slime just like in the film THE BLOB. The train station blob attack was my favorite with all the very tiny figures waiting for the train. If they only knew the blob was nearby.

Never really did much with "building" toys like Legos and Lincoln logs.  Mainly I just used them as props for whatever story my action figures were acting out (usually the small lincoln logs served as barrels of something or other) that or used them to build walls that one character would toss another through.

Had both, but somehow I enjoyed my Lincoln Logs more than my Lego's because they looked more authentic with my green army men.

I don't think kids do these things anymore.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:18:36 AM by Scott » Logged

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 11:28:34 AM »

I think there are several different sub catagories boys can get lumped into.  Stuff like jocks who played a lot of wiffle ball and the opposite category, the kids who played baseball on the Atari 2600. 

As for these two given subjects I was more of an action figure guy than anything.  Although I did ride around on big wheels and played with Hot Wheels, I didn't and still don't find cars particularly interesting. However,who else can say they rolled on a Smurf Big Wheel.  Yep thats a small DarkSider on his Smurfmobile.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:34:33 AM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Scott

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 11:31:45 AM »

Big Wheels were awesome. Use to ride them down hill and turn the wheel hard for a spin out and that was before they invented the brake. Rode that thing till the wheels cracked.

Lombard Street must be a Big Wheels paradise. To awesome.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=sWnff376PEI

One day I'll be in this race. Believe it ! ! ! !
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:43:02 AM by Scott » Logged

DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 11:40:50 AM »

(and, I suppose there were also those into knitting, but that's a different thread).

All of my friends were girls growing up.  So I played hopscotch, jumprope, cat's cradle.  I could never figure out how to cast-off, so knitting has remained forever elusive.  But we used to cross-stitch and embroider for hours.  And we made a lot of bracelets too.  I did have a few action figures, mostly movie monsters.  They'd stalk and terrorize the Barbies, but the girls would always bring Ken out to save the day.  The only car I ever cared about was Herbie.  I had maybe a dozen different Hot Wheels VW bugs.

So there, a bit of everything!  TeddyR

++josh;
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 12:14:56 PM »

I was a pretty good mix growing up.  We would play with matchbox cars for hours under my friend's spruce trees.  The needles could be moved to make roads, parking lots, and you name it.  We would also play Star Wars and GI Joe for hours in either Mike Spence's living room, sitting room, and dining room or in my basement.  The main thing was having enough room for all the different "bases."

We went through a ton of plastic army men.  In the field between our houses we could dig trenches, build bunkers, and then attack the base with dirt clods until only dust remained.  I'm sure the farmer could never figure out why his wheat or soybeans didn't grow in that one spot.

We did play wiffle ball, but often wiffle ball bats were wrapped with black electrical tape, the grips with twine, and then they were used as swords for swordfights.  We would even joust with them on our bikes.  Let me tell you, getting hit across the cheek or the knuckles with a wiffle ball bat HURTS.

Not to mention playing "army" for days on end.  We knew every in and out of the neighborhood, where to crawl through a hedge, what tree to climb, where a tall clump of grass could hide you.  "Bang Bang, got you Ryan!" and then they would have to lay down and count to thirty.  By then, you had better be long gone.

We also played cops and robbers on our bikes, with six to eight chasing the one or two robbers.  You do not know all the places that a dirt bike can go until you are about ten or eleven.

I look back on childhood fondly.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 12:20:05 PM »

I was the kind of boy who was born female.    TeddyR

Ah come on, someone had to say it!  I stayed female too.  But I played more with the boys when I was little, so I was always outside playing baseball, catching snakes, building tree forts, falling out of said tree forts, and doing things my kids think are mystifying, like catching crawfish and such. 

I did have a lot of Matchbox and HotWheels cars, and I used to build roads for them through the grass in the back yard.  And I didn't have Ken for my Barbies, I had my brothers' much cooler GI Joes.  Ken was wimpy.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 12:30:55 PM »

I was the kind of boy who was born female.    TeddyR

Trust me, that's the best kind of boy!

++josh;
raj

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 01:39:59 PM »

Big Wheels got brakes now?   I wore a big hole the front wheel of mine.
Had a bunch of GI Joes -- the big ones, too.  I also used my army men (and cowboys & indians and vikings & knights) with legos and lincoln logs.  My dad made plastic molds and did some inventing, he made me a cannon shot out a plastic slug when you squeezed the bulb, it was real great for setting up all the soldiers and then shooting at them.

What was also cools was destroying my models with those little ladyfinger fireckrackers & BB gun.
Scott

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 02:58:19 PM »

Big Wheels got brakes now? 

See the little blue handle next to he back right wheel. That's the latest spin-out break on the one side. I remember the break version came out shortly after mine was broken.  Smile
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 06:34:20 PM by Scott » Logged

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 06:23:24 PM »

HE'S FULLY JOINTED!!

Man when I was a kid, we played with dirt and we were happy to have that dirt!

Star Wars toys ... god I'm getting old I was ... like ... nearly grown when those came out.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 07:24:45 PM »

Wow...Johnny West. had him,and Geronimo,Bart,General Custer,Sitting Bull...and a guy with a Mowhawk!Had some GI Joes too..."with Kung Fu grip,and lifelike hair and beard!". One of em talked. You pulled a string on his back and he would say stuff like-"ENEMY PLANES! HIT the DIRT!"
 Scott-I also had LOTSA them little plastic army guys...and did the same thing...throw rocks at 'em,run em over with Hot Wheels or Tonkas.
 Made lotsa Aurora model kits! Had ALL the Universal Monsters,plus some WWII airplanes;a cool Barnabus Collins, even a VAMPIRELLA! Also collected monster mags,gum cards (usually the kind with monsters or Rat Fink hot rod stickers. Had lotsa MAD mags too. All this was finaced from picking fruit for farmers.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Scott

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 08:02:08 PM »

Oh yea, we had a Universal Monster model that we put together. It was THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME. We also had a GODZILLA model.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 09:59:04 PM »

Though I was not into knitting, I might have been accused of it Bluesad  I have two brothers and two sisters, and I don't agree that boys can be broken into two (or three) categories, but have to admit to having enjoyed my G.I. Joes very much.  I also played with my sister: my Joes and her Barbies and Ken in her dollhouse . . . using a plant mister and tea candles, we had a hurricane . . . and a lot of fun.  I had JOES for a number of years, including what I now know were the first version Marine, (a brunette and a redhead, actually) and a fuzzy-headed  talking Astronaut; also had Big Jim, Callisto from the Matt Mason series, Odin the Viking made by and just like the Marx Western figures; most of the Aurora monster models (not all were Universal!) and Colorforms Outer Space men.  Oh forgot to add HOT WHEELS, MATCHBOX, TONKA (Firetruck, dumptruck, car trailer with cars including a Corvette . . . I had the rare coupe with motor boat and trailer for the longest time!  What ever happened to that?)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 10:20:26 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 10:56:57 PM »

I guess I still am an action figure boy.  I proudly have this optimus prime figure at home.  The toy is huge at 12 inches.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  There are two types of boys.. what type were you? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.