Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:05:13 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Classic Songs That Need Retirement « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Classic Songs That Need Retirement  (Read 35067 times)
Yaddo 42
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2007, 12:50:29 AM »

"Tie Your Mother Down" still gets played here for some reason. I could do with more stuff from them besides the old standbys, but I'd say that of most of the classic rock genre. I don't want anything by Steve Miller from the 74-78 era, but the 68-73 stuff, Hell yeah.

I like some of Everclear, before the whiney sucky childhood stuff took over. "You Make Me Feel Like a Whore", "One Hit Wonder", "Sparkle and Fade", and "El Distorto del Melodica" I still listen to. "AM Radio" and their cover of "Brown Eyed Girl" were the point of no return for me.

I could do without ever hearing the real "Brown Eyed Girl" either. I love Van Morrison's music, but that song is overplayed and covered by every local band wher I live. I even had a friend in a grunge/emo cover band who had to learn it since they got so many requests. Plus one summer while working in my college's PR department for class credit, the girl who worked there pretty much full time would call and request it from the same radio station at the same time every day, and they played it every time. It was "their song" with her girlfriend. Already hated the song before that, but knowing I would hear it every day at the same time made it worse.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2007, 11:22:04 AM »

another one for you all from the 80s...

Lean On Me - Club Noveau

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2007, 01:41:22 PM »

Lean On Me - Club Noveau

Oh thanks .. now I'll have that disco-ish 80's crap in my head all day.

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2007, 11:15:34 PM »

Whatever you do, don't think about UB40's "Red Red Wine."

Especially the pseudo-rap part at the end.
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2007, 03:31:28 PM »

Lean On Me - Club Noveau

Oh thanks .. now I'll have that disco-ish 80's crap in my head all day.

Agreed.  While I am a Queen fan, however we will rock you needs to retire as well.  I hate that song with a passion.   
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2007, 10:58:49 AM »

Whatever you do, don't think about UB40's "Red Red Wine."

Especially the pseudo-rap part at the end.

The line broke...the monkey get choked...

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2007, 10:42:41 AM »

And where the hell do radio stations play "Michelle" much less overplay it? I like the song and rarely hear it on the radio. Then again I've known a few Michelles in my time I was fond of.
Well, Yaddo, the thread was Classic Songs That Need Retirement, not Classic Songs That Are Overplayed On The Radio.  However, I do hear "Michelle" on the oldies stations sometimes, but certainly not as much as years ago (same is true for "Gloria").  I have sure been hearing "Michelle" for decades, and if a song needs retiring it's only because I've heard it too many times.  One of my favorite BEATLES albums is Rubber Soul...bet you can guess the one track I skip. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2007, 10:57:38 AM »

Over played Classic Song could cause auto wrecks .... (my off the cuff made up) study finds.

We have a number of classic rock radio stations around here, and I love classic rock by I swear these stations I believe have the same damn play list of 10 songs. It's like watching TV and you change the channel to land on the same commercial in a different part of it and you wonder for a second if you really changed the channel.
Same for these station and their songs, you'll be listing to some overplayed 1970's song just to change the station and land on the same song in a different part of it and for a second you're in deja vu land and think did I actually change the station? So you look down to see if you actually changed it, which causes one to take their eyes of the road if you are driving just long enough that is could lead to an accident and death.

Conclusion: Retiring over played songs saves lives!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 10:59:27 AM by CheezeFlixz » Logged

D-Man
Bad Movie Lover

Only my head is tiny...

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2007, 10:19:16 AM »

Well, I've always liked Meat Loaf's original Bat Out of Hell album, but even I have to agree they play "Paradise..." way, way too much all over the place.

But still, it's the lesser of two evils. I prefer a to hear a lot of these classic rock songs over again than to have to sit through all the manufactured, modern junk they crank out now.  We're basically in a new version of the Disco era, where every pop/hip hop song sounds exactly the same.  You could even string some of these songs together and turn it into a single tune with the exact same rhythm.  EX: you could put together those "London Bridge" and "Chicken Noodle Soup" songs together flawlessly.   

But back on topic...I want to send a message to one of my local rock stations...I want you to find who keeps wanting to play Queen's "Killer Queen" at least 5 times in the same day, and shoot him!  For the love of god!
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2007, 10:58:18 AM »

Radio stations are the reason Jesus came back from the dead to invent tapes, CDs, MP3 players and satellite radio: so people don't need to be tortured by radio stations that can only afford 10 or 12 song playlists. It also helps avoid the same 6 commercials being played every 2 or 3 songs. Given the affordable technology available, why bother listening to the radio at all anymore? So your favorite songs can be censored? Because you don't get enough commercial exposure watching TV? For hours of mindless deejay prattle? If you prefer the randomness of the radio, just make your own mix CDs or get an MP3 player and put 'em on shuffle.  Wink

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2007, 10:22:08 PM »

Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana.  Granted, good band, but damn, I don't need to hear Kurt crying every hour and a half.

Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2.  Good song, but I'm tired of hearing it.  I may get rocks thrown at my head, but it's my opinion.

Kashmir by Led Zeppelin.  I like some songs by Zeppelin, but everytime I hear this I just, eh. 

But also, I'd say pretty much most of all music put out today is pretty freaking terrible.  It's not just the pop/rap stuff either.  Even the rock groups too.

Ay Bay Bay by Hurricane Chris.  I wouldn't even think of classifying it as classic, but I'm pretty sick of it.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Jason
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2007, 08:35:57 AM »

Mustang Sally.

I would die a happy man if I never heard another god-awful karaoke version of this song.

"Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up" - Kris Roe, The Ataris
Yaddo 42

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2007, 10:16:23 AM »

Mustang Sally.

I would die a happy man if I never heard another god-awful karaoke version of this song.

That song is one of the reasons I quit going to local clubs for a while ("Brown Eyed Girl" overkill was another). I couldn't stand to hear one more group of (usually) white guys who thought playing this song made them a soul band. Even worse, Wilson Pickett recorded here back when the Muscle Shoals area was a major music recording center. So telling people you were tired of the song would get you treated like a pariah.

Used to point out that just because a certain song or artist had a connection to the area didn't make it any better in my opinion, although it made some bad songs worse IMO. The Osmonds and apparently Air Supply recorded here also, but they still suck.

One of my favorite artists, the late Chris Whitley recorded an album here in the mid 90s, but it's one of his weakest albums, I don't like it any better because he came here to make it. One of my favorite songs on his next album was also recored here, but I didn't know it until I read the liner notes after several listens and making up my mind about the songs already.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Torgo

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2007, 10:15:16 PM »

We have a number of classic rock radio stations around here, and I love classic rock by I swear these stations I believe have the same damn play list of 10 songs. It's like watching TV and you change the channel to land on the same commercial in a different part of it and you wonder for a second if you really changed the channel.
Same for these station and their songs, you'll be listing to some overplayed 1970's song just to change the station and land on the same song in a different part of it and for a second you're in deja vu land and think did I actually change the station? So you look down to see if you actually changed it, which causes one to take their eyes of the road if you are driving just long enough that is could lead to an accident and death.

Back when I had my 2nd car back in the early to mid 90's (a 1983 Chevy Celebrity that I paid 500 bucks for and got 5 years out of it without it breaking down on me once) I didn't have a CD player in it so I was forced to listen to the radio.

Around 1995 or so we had a 2nd classic rock radio station crop up and while going down the road one day listening to them playing "Green Grass and High Tides". I switched over to the other station and they were playing the exact same song but it was about 5 or 6 seconds behind. So I kept switching back and forth between the 2 stations to annoy my friends riding with me and it was just really, really surreal.  I had the exact same feeling that you mentioned at that point.    Drink Drink

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Yaddo 42

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2007, 10:33:19 PM »

I once heard Journey's "Wheel In The Sky" on three different stations at the same time, barely seconds apart in playing time. A classic rock station, an Adult Contemporary/Listen at Work/Pop Oldies station, and a Top 40 station that played older hits on the weekends and at lunch.

Unrelated to this on the topic, I might listen to the syndicated radio show Flashback more if they didn't find an excuse to play "Radar Love" by Golden Earring, every time I try to listen to it.

Hell, the reason I quit listening to the show for a while years ago was that they played "Black Magic Woman" every week. The one week it wasn't the Santana version was the original Fleetwood Mac version.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Classic Songs That Need Retirement « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.