Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:02:42 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Unsolved Archives  |  Trying to track down a Post-Apocalyptic movie « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trying to track down a Post-Apocalyptic movie  (Read 58462 times)
Zinc
New Visitor

« on: June 12, 2007, 02:54:23 PM »

Hi all.

Old time B-Movie fan here that's finally getting back into the habit. Excellent site you have here.

I am hoping the vast knowledge you all have can help me track down a Post-Apocalyptic film I saw many, many years ago. Several people I've asked recognise the film when I describe it, but nobody can tell me what it is.

Unfortunately I can remember very little about the film as it must be well over 15 years ago when I saw it, the time all the Mad Max rip-offs were appearing, so early to mid 80's I would guess.

The key things I can remember are:

- Typical, rocky, desert Post-Ap setting.
- Hero with obligatory five day stubble.
- In a scene where the hero is being chased by a gang of bikers, he escapes by popping wings out the roof of his dune buggy-style car and soaring off in a hanglider.
- A topless woman (pressumably the love interest) strapped cruciform to the front of a car.
- Either the main villain or his henchman had a flamethrower for a hand.

I know this may be a long shot, but I can picture the scenes above vividly and not being able to place them is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance,

Zinc
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 04:22:02 PM »

Crikey! That's the ROAD WARRIOR,the sequel to MAD MAX! Thumbup

EDIT: At least the first part is...or...hmmm. Question
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 04:24:23 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 08:02:54 PM »

I have no idea what this movie is, but I sure want to see it!

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 09:37:07 PM »

Portions of this sound kind of like Wheels of Fire (1985), while others sound like Return to FrogTown, still other bring to mind a movie co-starring Kris Kristoferson, but I can't remember the title of it.

Update: That one I couldn't remember was Knights (1993)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 09:48:43 PM by LilCerberus » Logged

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Zinc
New Visitor

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 03:18:24 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions so far folks.

I know it wasn't the Road Warrior and I'm pretty sure it wasn't Return to FrogTown. I haven't heard of Knights, but thanks for supplying another film to check out. A couple of people have recently suggested Wheels of Fire, and although the title doesn't ring any bells I'll certainly check it out.

akiratubo

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 05:47:27 AM »

Knights has Lance Henriksen as the villain.  He's got a big hook for a hand.  I can't remember if any of the others had flame throwers.

felgekarp
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 09:45:13 AM »

I don't think it's knights, which is a great film by the way, it does feature a hang glider but that's at the end of the film and the hero in it's female, which rules out the five day stubble  TeddyR
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 10:54:47 AM »

For some reason, I came up with "Wheels of Fire" off the top of my head.  I'm pretty sure that I have a LD of this in my collection (if not, it's a VHS).  I'll try to pop it in tonight to verify.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 10:43:41 PM »

the hero in it's female, which rules out the five day stubble 

If you think that, then you've never met my sister . . ..

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
felgekarp
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 03:40:16 AM »

the hero in it's female, which rules out the five day stubble 

If you think that, then you've never met my sister . . ..

TeddyR
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 11:08:42 AM »

In ref to "Wheels of Fire:"

Matching:
The hero has the stubble. 
An ample-chested woman does appear strapped "cruciform" to the hood of a car.

Other stuff that might help:
The hero has a flamethrower mounted at the sunroof of his car.
The hero constantly has a hawk that he follows as it flies though the sky.
The villain wears black football-pad based armor and is Asian or Pacific Island in descent.
Lots of M16 assault rifles are used.

No match:
No hang glider or ultralight escape.
No flame thrower hand.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Zinc
New Visitor

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 03:46:23 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to help me out folks and thanks for the run down of 'Wheels of Fire' Andrew.

Well, two out of four isn't bad. I'm pretty sure about the flame thrower hand, as I can remember the villain threatening the woman on the car with it and using it to light a cigar, although I suppose it could possibly be a blow-torch he uses. Are there any similar scenes in 'Wheels'?

I'm in the UK, and I'm finding it a little hard to track down some films, 'Wheels of Fire' included (would I be correct in thinking this was also known as 'Desert Warrior'?) and just wondered if any fellow Europeans knew of some good places to pick up films from without getting hammered on postage?

Also, I'm going to be away from a computer for the next week, so if I don't reply to any of your fine posts, that's the reason.
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 10:45:53 AM »

Zinc,

The movie you are looking for is most definitely not Knights (AKA Cyborg Warriors in Germany, and it's only DVD release I know of) as that's a cyborg kick-boxer flick without vehicles, at least none that I recall.

However your description is a puzzle.  For some reason something in the back of my head is screaming JOHN SAXON for your description of the villain, yet I can't think of what movie it might be.  I do, however, agree that the first part of your description sound 100% like Cirio H. Santiago's "Wheels of Fire", however there may be other PA flicks with similar scenes.  This director also did a few other PA flicks: Stryker, Equalizer 2000, Raiders of the Sun, and Dune Warriors.  It could be any one of those as many of the PA flicks from the 80s had very similar scenes, especially those from the same director.

However I have a feeling this may be Land of Doom.  If I remember correctly there is a villain with a prosthetic hand who menaces a female, I just don't recall if it's a flame thrower, but IIRC there are flame throwers in the movie.

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
akiratubo

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 08:00:23 PM »

It isn't Land of Doom.  There weren't any topless women nor hang gliders in that movie.  The villain had an armored (cybernetic?) hand with a crossbow mounted on the back (I think...)  I also don't think they had cars, just motorcycles and an ATV or two.

Equalizer 2000 doesn't meet very many of the criteria, either.

I'm beginning to think OP's memory is mashing a few different movies together.

Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 08:42:08 PM »

"Raiders of the Sun" is a new movie, but with footage from "Wheels of Fire."  However, it matches the description even less than "Wheels of Fire."  There is no topless girl strapped to a car hood, which was about the only good match.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Unsolved Archives  |  Trying to track down a Post-Apocalyptic movie « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.