Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:56:15 PM
714369 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Which Deathstalker Movie did you like best? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Which Deathstalker Movie did you like best?  (Read 7126 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: June 13, 2007, 01:09:58 PM »

I saw I and III many times, but only got to see II once, and it must have been fairly forgettable because the plot is very fuzzy in my mind.  But I must say, "Deathstalker III" was a masterpiece of high camp.
  The lead actor did NOT take himself too seriously, Monique Gabrielle was easier on the eyes than Barbi Benton (was that her name?  Hugh Hefner's ex who was the princess/victim in the first movie?), and the lines of dialogue were priceless.  "Is that the hilt of your sword or are you just glad to see me?" may be the funniest line ever spoken in ANY barbarian film. 

Which of the three did YOU like best?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 01:54:27 PM »

I like the first one the best, can't remember at the moment if I have III & IV or just I & II.  I prefer Lana Clarkson to Monique Gabrielle, better body and better acting.

(rot in hell, Phil Spector)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 03:25:35 PM »

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!   BounceGiggle  There was a Deathstalker IV??  Which guy played Stalker in that one?  Question

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
felgekarp
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 04:15:28 PM »

I think I've only seen the first one, is that the one where the female character's costume doesn't cover her breasts and a guy gets completely pulped by another guy with a large hammer?
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 06:26:10 PM »

I think I've only seen the first one, is that the one where the female character's costume doesn't cover her breasts and a guy gets completely pulped by another guy with a large hammer?

That would be the first.  Lana Clarkson was the female warrior in the "nice" bikini.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
raj

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 07:46:36 PM »

I only have the first 2 Deathstalkers.  Also have Barbarian Queen I & II.  They all tend to blur together in swords and boobs.

Not that I'm complaining. TeddyR
felgekarp
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 03:43:08 AM »

That would be the first.  Lana Clarkson was the female warrior in the "nice" bikini.

Thanks, watched it with my mum when I was younger, she fetched it from the video shop for me when I was off school sick once  TeddyR
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 11:02:22 AM »

Even though I've not seen III & IV (at least I have no memory of them if I did) I'm going to have to say I.  However I've heard III is supposed to be the funniest, while IV is the worst as it's virtually all stock footage. 

Is it true IV is an anti-epic from the Corman stock footage recycling school?

Or was that the (unofficial) fifth movie in the series?  (The flick was supposed to essentially be a remake of the original Deathstalker that used a LOT of the stock footage from it, but I can't recall it's name at the moment.)

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 04:14:36 PM »

This is like asking which childhood disease you prefer.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
raj

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 08:20:47 PM »

This is like asking which childhood disease you prefer.

Ooh, ooh, I choose the measles!
biff_debris
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 08:54:06 PM »

Really hate to admit it, but I have yet to see any of the Deathstalker flicks. Seen them at the local trade shops, but they're only in VHS form. I need to break down and get them at Amazon or someplace online, eventually.
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 10:43:13 AM »

Really hate to admit it, but I have yet to see any of the Deathstalker flicks. Seen them at the local trade shops, but they're only in VHS form. I need to break down and get them at Amazon or someplace online, eventually.

If you're going to embark on a sword-and-sorcery buying spree beginning with the Deathstalker movies then you'll need a checklist of similar 80s movies to round our your library.  Here are my suggestions:

Deathstalker I - IV
Barbarian Queen I & II
Amazons (1986) <- Not to be confused with War Goddess AKA The Amazons (1974)
Sorceress (1984) <- Not on DVD AFAIK so if you see it buy it.
Warrior and the Sorceress
Warrior Queen (Starring Sybill Danning, no idea if this is out on DVD or not)

Enjoy!

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

Happiness is a dancing beagle.

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 01:16:14 AM »

Monique Gabrielle was in Deathstalker II, not III

DS3 was given the treatment on MST3K Season 7 Episode 3.

Personally, I love DS2 (and not just for Monique!  Buggedout).  Yeah, it's a cheap foreign made Roger Corman Conan ripoff (as were all four), but it never takes itself too seriously and is always a pleasure to watch.

DS3 was alright, but to me seemed to take itself way too seriously.  I can watch it once or twice a year.

Years ago, after having only seen DS2 & DS3, I found the original Deathstalker for rent in a local independent video store.  I watched it, but I can't remember much about it so it must not have impressed me.  It was definitely a Conan-type ripoff rather than the more Robin Hood-esque DS2 & DS3.

That same store later acquired a copy of DS4, which I rented but didn't really watch.  I fast forwarded through it and the parts I played at normal speed sucked.

In summary:
GoodDeathstalker II  Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup
OKDeathstalker III  Thumbup
Bad (not in a good way)Deathstalker I  Thumbdown
SucksDeathstalker IV  Hatred

On a side note, did you know that the actor playing the villain in DS3 is the actor who played 'Hawk' (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0160630/) on Buck Rogers (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078579/)?  How the mighty have fallen.  Wink

"Please do not offer my god a peanut."  -  Apu
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 06:26:27 AM »

The second "Deathstalker" ended up being too campy for me, though Monique was never a bad addition to a film as eye candy.

I liked the first, because it had a weird sense of humor at times and also established Deathstalker as something of an anti-hero.  He largely functions as a survivalist who takes what he wants.  Every time he encountered a woman he wanted, he forced himself on her.  That was a bit funny during the scene with Gargit turned into a woman.  When you see Deathstalker starting his patented moves the response becomes:

Please stop.  I know, the audience knows, but you don't know that you're kissing a man.  Oh no, not that.  Please don't force yourself on her/him/it...

I also cracked up at the beginning of the film, when Deathstalker and the king are talking.

Deathstalker: "Get any poorer, you're going to have to eat that dog."
King: "I hope it will be tasty as the one you're enjoying."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Bill C.
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 12:12:07 PM »

Someone refresh my memory: the first Deathstalker film was the one where some poor henchman got turned into a hottie by the resident evil sorcerer, right?  That's about all I've got...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Which Deathstalker Movie did you like best? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.