Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:37:28 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Most Scary Story You've Ever Read « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Most Scary Story You've Ever Read  (Read 23973 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 09:14:06 PM »

"The Mist" is a good one.  I think it is the idea that suddenly our world is no longer safe; it becomes an alien place.  Add to that the intrusion of the mist itself, which is a natural environment for the horrors, but a serious handicap for us, and you have an excellent setting.  I've always liked the whole bit about when they went onto the loading dock in the back.  I used to work in a supermarket during my last two years of high school and could picture that scene perfectly.

They had a series of set visits posted on AICN a little while back and I got to see some production shots from that loading dock sequence that you're referring to.

It looks like they're on the right track from what I've seen of it.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
peter johnson

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 12:25:06 AM »

The stories named are all very very good --
I am very much a fan of written horror/terror as a genre.
I love some of the ones that are considered passe or corny these days, like "The Monkey's Paw"(Catch the brilliant 'Alfred Hitchcock Presents' version of this), or "The King In Yellow" . . .
I've devoured Doyle, loved Lovecraft, allied with Algernon Blackwood, and supped with Saki --
HOWEVER, the single best frightening short story I've ever read was published in the short-lived "Twilight Zone Magazine", around 1983 or '85 or so:  "Remembering Melody", by George R.R. Martin, the same guy who wrote "Sandkings", and that great novel about vampires on riverboats, whose title escapes me -- "Fevre Dream"?
"Remembering Melody" takes the classic Ghost Story and tweaks it just enough . . . The best part about it is that you can easily picture yourself as the protagonist, thus the final horror is brought home as something you could see in your own house . . . Hey, it's normal to want to help your friends in trouble, isn't it? . . .  Creeped the living hell out of jaded old me, 22 years ago, and still does, as I can recall passages verbatim.
Very brutal tale -- don't know if it's in any anthologies, but it should be . . .
peter brrr/denny shreik!

I have no idea what this means.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 06:39:17 PM »

I mostly read books that movies are based off of, that being said "Ratman's Notebooks" and "Dance of the Dwarfs" (unlike the films Willard and Jungle Heat) are truly chilling. Both are in diary form and end in a similar way.

I agree with "Pet Sematary". Stephen King is an immensely suspenseful writer and Pet Sematary is one of his best, one of the few books that actually scared me while reading it as opposed to having me read it, then think, then get scared.

"Real books" out of the way the story that immediately comes to my mind is the classic "dog under the bed legend" (I'll leave it at that, don't want to give too many details)

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 07:26:45 AM »

Sadly, I've lost the ability to be spooked by books and haven't had nightmares based on such since reading my beloved Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books when I was a kid. The illustrations scared the living Hell out of me and if I stared at them long enough with limited light available, I could swear they'd start moving and gesturing toward me. Freaky.

If you want to talk about books that have disgusted me the last few years, the restaurant kitchen piece in Trainspotting and the rat sequence in American Psycho did just that. Vile, disturbing thoughts that can't be unthought. :::shudder:::  Buggedout

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Pilgermann

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 02:01:31 AM »

The Small Assassin by Ray Bradbury creeped me out.  I didn't think a killer baby story would be scary but it has a certain mood to it.

Fruiting Bodies is a very eerie story by Brian Lumley that deals with a home by a seaside cliff and fungus.  The collection Fruiting Bodies and Other Fungi is worth tracking down.  Another creepy story from the book is The Thin People which is about some people who fold themselves up so to speak.

There's lots of good Lovecraft stuff that's been mentioned.  I think Dagon actually weirded me out for some reason.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 07:33:47 AM »

I've seen both movie adaptations, but never read the book.  Say, did any of you ever read a novel by Graham Masterton entitled The Pariah ?  I read it 20 years ago and it scared me silly, but I lost my copy and have never seen another.

Never read the PARIAH,but just got done reading ,by the same author ,BURNT OFFRINGS,the novel on which the movie was based. Started slow...and was pleasently surprised that it had many more twists and turns then the movie did...and the ending was a little more than bizzare! No classic,but a good read! Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 06:31:20 PM »

I've never read a book that has scared me as an adult.

When I was a child I read Goosebumps :Ghost Beach and that creeped me out.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
BTM

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 10:11:46 PM »

Sadly, I've lost the ability to be spooked by books and haven't had nightmares based on such since reading my beloved Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books when I was a kid. The illustrations scared the living Hell out of me and if I stared at them long enough with limited light available, I could swear they'd start moving and gesturing toward me. Freaky.

Whoa, I read that SAME book several times as a kid!  The illustrations creeped me out as well!

Another one that I thought was kind of creepy as a kid were books Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your Sleep and The Headless Horseman Rides Tonight by Jack Prelusky.  Great books of poetry with creepy illustrations.

http://www.amazon.com/Nightmares-Poems-Trouble-Your-Sleep/dp/0688840531/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:28:44 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 11:39:45 PM »

Of some of the more recent things I've read, Stephen King's newest collection is pretty good.  I love FROM A BUICK 8, and LISEY'S STORY is both creepy, haunting, and very, very melancholy all at the same time.

Dean Koontz's PHANTOMS has one of the most incredible openings I've ever read, and maintains the suspense for the first three quarters of the novel, although the ending is somewhat anticlimactic. 

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Saucerman
Opinionated Blowhard Par Excellence
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Hypnotic, ain't it?

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 02:09:32 PM »

"The Colour Out of Space" gave me nightmares the first time I read it.  The thought of the Blasted Heath slowly expanding, year after year, freaked me out. 

One of the stories in one of the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, about a scarecrow that came to life and eventually killed one of its creators and tanned the man's skin on the roof, terrified me.  Completely and utterly terrified. 

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »

While its not a horror story Michael Crichton's Next had some truly upsetting ideas.  The big one being that a company can own a person's cells and legally kidnap family members to get those cells.

What humans do to each other is far scarirer than any literary demon, monster, or ghost.

I do like Lovecraft stories.  More for the imaginative settings and characters then the horror.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 06:19:05 PM »

Dan Simmons' "The Terror"

Based upon the Sir John Franklin expedition. 129 men. 2 ships. Sent by the British government in 1845 to the North Pole to find an open water route from Europe to Asia through the Arctic Ocean.

Which man has been looking for, at least, ever since the days of Henry Hudson, and which did not exist. At least, not until the invention of the ice breaker.

The horror is knowing that not a man on the expedition survived. But, to add to the horror of that, there is something out there on the ice, where the ships are trapped. Something that is inhuman, but it has a taste for human flesh, and it is hungry.

The chill and terror go to the bone.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 06:35:44 PM »

KOKO by Peter Straub

Years after the end of the Vietnam War, four members of the same platoon meet in Washington, D.C., for the unveiling of the Vietnam War Memorial. These men are supposedly the only survivors of their platoon. They all bonded in the brotherhood of combat. They closed rank throughout the traumatic period when members of their group were accused of committing My Lai-level atrocities in Ia Thuc. They re-forge their ties to look for another platoon member, one they thought was dead. An excellent ghost/mystery story.

HAUNTED by Chuck Palahnuik really freaked me out too, the most disturbing book I've ever read.

This book is a collection of short stories, written by characters who are on a writer's retreat. They all responded to an ad to "give up three months of your life and create the masterpiece you have always said you would". Each of the 18 respondents had an idea of where they would be going - to a large country estate, a camp in the woods; yet the reality is they get locked into an old ornate theatre house. They have food, shelter, and facilities, yet all doors are locked, all windows bricked over and no way out.

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 07:08:44 PM »

HAUNTED by Chuck Palahnuik really freaked me out too, the most disturbing book I've ever read.

This book is a collection of short stories, written by characters who are on a writer's retreat. They all responded to an ad to "give up three months of your life and create the masterpiece you have always said you would". Each of the 18 respondents had an idea of where they would be going - to a large country estate, a camp in the woods; yet the reality is they get locked into an old ornate theatre house. They have food, shelter, and facilities, yet all doors are locked, all windows bricked over and no way out.

that does sound quite dark, cover looks creepy too.

there's 3 Shaun Hutson books that scared me: Nemesis, Relics, and Erebus. all his books up until Renegades are basically the same, but those 3 were the best. was about 13-14 when I read them, not sure if they'd have the same effect on me now though

'Stepford Wives' is pretty scary as well, from a psychological standpoint, good book also.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
BTM

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2009, 11:09:33 AM »

I don't know.. this one's a mixed bag for me.  I mean, to me a lot of the short stories are freaky and disturbing but the "wrap" story is just too much parody for me to take seriously.  I can't help but think it would have been better if they had played it straight, but that's just my thought.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Most Scary Story You've Ever Read « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.