Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:28:01 PM
714317 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Most Scary Story You've Ever Read « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Most Scary Story You've Ever Read  (Read 24110 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2009, 01:56:23 AM »

"The New Mother" by Lucy Lane Clifford from her book Anyhow Stories is without a doubt the creepiest story I've ever read.

I originally read this story in the book More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. Here's a YouTube video version of the story:

Small | Large

Um, not a very good reading.

However, this story really cuts to the core of childhood fears. And, unlike most children's stories, this story does not stop short of a truly horrific ending. Pretty damn harsh.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 02:22:27 PM »

It's a tie between The Mist and the manga comic When They Cry.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Jim H

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 02:29:48 PM »

Not out and out scary, but I thought a few sequences in the novel The Wolfen (waaay better than the movie) were hair-raising in their suspense.  Particularly the sequence where the female lead thinks she hears an injured child.  Great stuff.

Honestly though, I can't think of any book I've read where I was truly scared as an adult.  Guess I'm just too jaded.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 04:15:04 PM »

GHOST STORY by Peter Straub.  Dated, but brilliant.
PET SEMATARY by Stephen King.  A downright mean book.  The ending is horrific!
THE PARIAH by Graham Masterton.  Been a long time since I read it, but I remember a creepy ambience that just kept intensifying throughout.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Cthulhu

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 04:21:49 PM »

Hmm..it's between The hound,The Haunter of the Dark, Rats in the wall, or Shadow over Innsmouth...yeah..I bet you didn't see that coming. Lookingup
But the scariest book I've ever read is Pet sematary. (I don't remember..is the title mispelled too? Or is it just in the book?)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:21:47 PM by Cthulhu » Logged
voltron

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 04:26:59 PM »

Shadow over Innsmouth...
Same here.  Thumbup

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 11:42:58 PM »

Fruiting Bodies is a very eerie story by Brian Lumley that deals with a home by a seaside cliff and fungus.  The collection Fruiting Bodies and Other Fungi is worth tracking down.  Another creepy story from the book is The Thin People which is about some people who fold themselves up so to speak.
I have "Fruiting Bodies" in a hardback collection of Weird Tales - one of that mag's late incarnations had published that story and it found it's way into a great anthology.  It's been many years, but I have not forgotten that story or the bones of the "little 'un"

I really have a preference for short stories and rarely read novels anymore.  Novels that stand out as having had moments of genuine dread: THE STAND, THE SHINING, and especially SALEM'S LOT... all by KING as I know you all know, but I think his other books tend to be overrated.  I do think the first chapter (only) of IT to possibly be his finest bit of writing, and MISERY was damned upsetting, and a fast riveting read.  Not really scary, but haunting, I think THE DEAD ZONE was his best of those I read (and unlike some of you all, I was not so impressed by CHRISTINE, PET SEMATARY, THE TOMMYKNOCKERS... )

In the realm of great: SHIRLEY JACKSON's We Have Always Lived In The Castle was creepier even than her The Haunting of Hill House... Your local library probably has a copy. 

JOHN W. CAMPBELL's "Who Goes There?" was the source material for both film versions known as THE THING and it's well worth a look see.  About 54 pages, it's novella length.  LOVECRAFT's "The Shadow Out of Time" is another great one that I don't think was mentioned. 

I collect story collections, particularly ghost stories, SciFi and Horror.   I have the bad habit of reading stories and then forgetting if I'd read them or not.    Lookingup  Some stories, however, you never forget.  Two unforgettable stories bracket a great collection for the Ghost Story enthusiast: Victorian Ghost Stories pub. Oxford.  The first, ELIZABETH GASKELL's "The Old Nurse's Story" mid 19th century chiller perfection and ALGERNON BLACKWOOD's marvelously atmospheric rainy night creeper, "The Kit Bag"

RAY BRADBURY's "Mars is Heaven" is pretty damned scary SCIFI and also LEWIS PADGETT's "Mimsy Were the Borogoves"
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:46:07 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jim H

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2009, 12:08:43 AM »

Oh...  One I did find pretty good is The Boogeyman by Stephen King.  Short story, I can't remember which collection though.  Great ending.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Most Scary Story You've Ever Read « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.