Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:28:16 AM
713387 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  What movies REALLY scared you? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Author Topic: What movies REALLY scared you?  (Read 42359 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 05:03:04 PM »

This might take a lot of thought...the most recent example of a really unsettling movie for me is a japanese flick called "Splatter: Naked Blood". Part horror film, part surreal art film, the effects were fairly well done, a little fake in some areas, but what really got to me - what actually made me feel physically sick to my stomach (something no movie has done to me before or since) was the concept - people intentionally harming themselves in unimaginable ways (one scene in particular, of a girl eating herself, was hard to watch) to cause pleasure.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217679/
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 05:18:47 PM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2007, 08:50:27 PM »

I would have preferred if they dropped all pretense of a story and just tortured people for an hour or so. 

Or you could just watch Cannibal Holocaust again.  TongueOut

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2007, 09:05:04 PM »

Thumbup  One of my all-time favorites!  When I put together The Movie Vault, the first two films I reviewed were Casablanca and Cannibal Holocaust.  Both classics in their own right, though I suspect CH was more influential.  Drink  My ex got me the Riz Ortolani score on vinyl a few birthdays ago.  I also used to have an original Chilean lobby poster, but I had to sell it when I was poor.

Wait, are you suggesting CH was just a venue for brutal rape and torture, devoid of any likable characters or coherent plot?!  It is certainly intellectual leagues beyond the works of Kevin Smith, my friend!  TeddyR

Speaking of which, what're your feelings on Vulgar?

++josh;
peter johnson

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2007, 12:18:13 AM »

A lot of movies herein mentioned I may never see, simply because of how they're billed -- and I know that's a mistake, as I frequently get something I wasn't expecting out of films either billed to me as "really stupid" or "really gross!" or what have you.
And, some of the films mentioned I really love, eg. Night of the Hunter, but didn't wring that FEAR response out of me.
That said, the original question here is "What movies REALLY scared you?", as opposed to disturbed, grossed-out, greatly amused or entertained, etc.
Okay, so movies that made me experience FEAR when I first saw them/really SCARED me:
Kiss of the Vampire (Hammer)
The Exorcist
The Innocents (I was actually pleasantly shocked as to the number of people listing this one . . . "Enter, My Lord!" you know the scene.  Jeez, I just got a genuine adrenal shiver just typing those words . . .)
Dracula, Prince of Darkness (Another Hammer)
The Reptile (Sense a pattern?)
An American Werewolf in London
Alien
Salem's Lot (A bit of a cheat here.  Not the movie adaptation, but the real 3 and a half hour TV serial -- The "movie" they made of the TV show lacked any setup tension, therefore an inferior scare).
I'm sure there are others, but these occupy the "scary" parts of my brain when I think of a "scary" movie.

I have no idea what this means.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2007, 05:46:37 PM »

I got to see a Korean flick recently called A Tale of Two Sisters that really got under my skin at numerous points. 

It's not really what I could call a flat out horror film but more of a psychological thriller with horror & mystery  underpinnings.

The version I saw was the unrated director's cut which is what I would seek out as I don't know what was cut out of the edited R rated version. 

Anyone wanting to see something different that will more than likely creep you out should watch it.

Watch this one on a good  screen because the cinematography is simply superb. The direction itself is likely to creep you out as well.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2007, 05:57:19 PM »

I can't believe no one, when speaking of Asian Horror, hell, let's not belittle it, HORROR period, has mentioned...

"AUDITION"

One of the best Horror Films from anywhere.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2007, 05:58:34 PM »

...but if we are going to talk Japan, I almost forgot to mention:

SUICIDE CLUB.

I seriously don't know why I haven't purchased these yet.

DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2007, 06:22:30 PM »

I can't believe no one, when speaking of Asian Horror, hell, let's not belittle it, HORROR period, has mentioned...
"AUDITION"

I am a huge fan of Takashi Miike!  But I don't think any of his films qualify as horror.  Audition is really more of a midlife crisis romance picture, like Broken Flowers or Lovely & AmazingTeddyR  It just happens to get a bit horrific in the last five minutes.

...but if we are going to talk Japan, I almost forgot to mention:
SUICIDE CLUB.

Thumbup  Haha.  Suicide Club is a comedy, albeit a dark one.

++josh;
Amontillado
Dedicated Viewer

John, you know Rosalynn.

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2007, 06:03:48 PM »

The last two movies to really creep me out were Session 9 and Alice, Sweet Alice. I watched both of them alone, really late at night. i know that's what you're supposed to do when watching horror movies. Thing is, I didn't set out to watch either of them, I just happened upon them. Not knowing what I was in for really helped. Session 9 creeped me out, and Alice, Sweet Alice just plain disturbed me... A day or two after seeing ASA I saw a little kid in a yellow rain coat out of the corner of my eye as he was running toward his mother (who was right behind me). It scared the p**s out of me! I broke out laughing because it really did frighten me. 

If I can build and install a pacemaker in this man\'s chest, I can damn well bouce a microwave off a satellite!
Goji_girl
Bad Movie Lover

MEATLOAF! (meet-low-ff)

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2007, 06:51:19 PM »

The Grudge usedto scare me but now I think of it as a woman whose husband tried to kill her. And when everyone thought she was dead, she tried to tell everyone that she was okay. But she looked like a zombie so everyone ran.

Neville

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2007, 04:09:32 PM »

As I child, I was scared at pretty much anything... specially stuff I had been told about but not seen by myself. I was afraid of "Alien" without having ever seen the movie, only based on what people told me about it and the first chapter of a comic book adaptation I was bought.

These days, the stuff that scares me is either very vague in its horror elements ("Session 9" is a prime example) or stuff that almost crosses the line into explotation, but it is still sophisticated enough, like "The descent", "Haute Tension" or "Wolf Creek".

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
madbliza
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2007, 05:05:06 PM »

Jurassic Park. That movie scares the crap out of me.

J/k

Exorcist, that movie still creeps me out. Plus, I admire that since it came out quite some time ago and still frightens people.

The only other movie that I'd say I'm scared of is Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. Not that the whole movie is scary or anything, but in the beginning with that lady in the red dress an something about "My brother's sister's gal..." (whatever he says) is just eerily creepy to me. *shudders*
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2007, 02:13:29 PM »

The movie "Signs" really creeped me out, probably because I really didn't expect it to. The part where they briefly see the alien in the cornfield, or where they saw it on the news, walking down the street, , was just too creepy.

No horror movies really scare me, but the first "Poltergiest", when it was first out startled the crap out of me. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Garrettimus
New Visitor

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2007, 04:01:35 PM »

As a kid, "Return of the Living Dead" scared the hell out of me. It wasn't supposed to be like that, you know, that movie is more like a comedy, but I got really scared when I first watched it. The same happened with "Poltergeist"!

AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2007, 06:55:06 PM »

Thumbup  One of my all-time favorites!  When I put together The Movie Vault, the first two films I reviewed were Casablanca and Cannibal Holocaust.  Both classics in their own right, though I suspect CH was more influential.  Drink  My ex got me the Riz Ortolani score on vinyl a few birthdays ago.  I also used to have an original Chilean lobby poster, but I had to sell it when I was poor.

Wait, are you suggesting CH was just a venue for brutal rape and torture, devoid of any likable characters or coherent plot?!  It is certainly intellectual leagues beyond the works of Kevin Smith, my friend!  TeddyR

Speaking of which, what're your feelings on Vulgar?

Actually, I've yet to see Vulgar. I've been told it's brutal and nigh-unwatchable and since it's not really Tomb material I don't think I'll get around to it any time soon. Your thoughts Grunge?

As far as Cannibal Holocaust, I personally dig it and love the reactions my friends give me when they see it, asking if it's a snuff film or something. If a movie can still get that kind of reaction from people 30 years later in this age of big budget special effects that still don't look realistic, that's the hallmark of a definite classic. Although, let's not forget the senseless slaughter of otherwise innocent animals amidst the rape, torture, bastard characters and aimless plot.  TeddyR

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  What movies REALLY scared you? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.