Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:09:32 AM
713347 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Daimajin « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Daimajin  (Read 26312 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: June 16, 2007, 05:56:00 AM »

This is a classic samurai movie with a twist.  The evil regime is not overthrown by a peasant revolt; a massive stone statue comes to life and smites the cruel ruler and his retainers.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 01:37:23 PM »

I love the Daimajin series!  I'm just sad that they canned Shusuke Kaneko's remake.  I was looking forward to that! 
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 03:24:02 PM »

I just watched the first one, and enjoyed it quite a bit.  I'm going to watch the next two, but probably not for a while.

I love the preview on the disc for the series.  It's what convinced me to watch the movie.  Well, that and Andrew's review.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Racist Melon Farmer
Dedicated Viewer

Got Sodium?

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 04:26:07 PM »

Heehee, I like that the Daimajin's face (in the sample video, at least) looks like a really p**sed-off Bob Hope. "Hey, how about that stone statue coming to life and smiting everything it its path? I wanna tell ya, he was sure damajin' that tower! Wiiiild."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 12:52:50 PM by Racist Melon Farmer » Logged

Foolish Earthlings! Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!
Torgo

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 09:23:18 PM »

I didn't know if this was a part of a series of films or not, but I saw one of these back on VHS quite some time ago. 

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 10:04:12 AM »

Strongly reminiscent of The Golem, stone marauder wreaking vengeance on the oppressors.  Nice Orientalization, and one heckuva spooky one, at least when viewed as a youth.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 03:20:38 PM by onionhead » Logged

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Flangepart

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 11:48:29 AM »

And an American remake would be titled DIE-_MAJIN!

That statue is a killer bad ass.
Anyone else see the Art Adams GODZILLA comic where G fights a Daimajin statue type monster?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 01:52:22 PM by Flangepart » Logged

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Xenorama
Dedicated Viewer

define "bad", please

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 01:46:51 PM »

I love the Daimajin series!  I'm just sad that they canned Shusuke Kaneko's remake.  I was looking forward to that! 

it was Takashi Miike that was doing the remake, not Kaneko.

all three movies were fun, though i am surprised they never brought another stone idol to life in the last one to fight Majin.  the good thing is they are so well done you don't mind watching the 3/4 to get to the appearance of Majin.

David

"The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder." ~ Alfred Hitchcock
Project: Marine Boy
Xenorama Message Board
George
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 07:35:17 PM »

Back durning the days of Creature Feature we only knew a few things,either it was a Toho AIP movie,or an AIP movie.I didn't know Majin,Monster of Terror was a Daiei picture.After two successful Gamera movies,Daiei made 3 Majin movies in one year,1966.The setting is midevil Japan,seems everyone's terrified of the mysterious deity,Majin,an evil god trapped in a stone statue by good god Sheino.The locals hold a ceremony that looks like a Burning Man Festival.While that's going on,an evil guy named Samalvosuke his left hand man Gunjuro and a bunch of loyal flunkies decide to take Lord Hanabases castle,he is killed,however his son & daughter escape with Kogenta and with the help of high priestess Shinobu hide in the cave next to the statue.Meantime Samalvosuke and his band of merry men are forcing the peasent to build an impregnable fortress,knowing he'll never be truly the grand high muck & muck forever until Tadufumi & Kozasa are killed,he sends men to find them,good luck,they're under Sheinos protection,until Kogenta goes to try to stop things and gets captured.Tadufumi tries to save him and he gets caught too.Now Shinobu comforts Samalvosuke and tells him Majin will come to get him if he doesn't release the prince and stop all this evil.Well our badguy kills her send Gunjuro to destroy the statue,along the way he and the wrecking crew encounter Kozasa and that kid who sounds like Rock the flying Squirrel.Gunjuro threatens to kill the boy,she reluctantly leads them to Majin,try as they might,a spike has to be deployed,it looks like it might work except for thing,by now the Majins had enough,blood starts falling from the statue and Gunjuro and his men are sawallowed by huge holes in the earth,and then the deity comes to Glome like life just as Samalvosuke is about to crucify our heros, that cad.Just then the sky turns dark and behold a flying ball of fire,it crash lands and sure enough it Majin Monster of Terror,he procedes forward destroying in 3 or 4mins. what it took peasent 16yrs. to build.The evil lord guy tries every they had at the time,flintlock's catapults,fire,and even chains to try to topple him,but in the end Majin destroys the fort and impales Samalvosuke on a wall with that spike,but he ain't done yet,he now head towards the village,it is here that Rock and Kozasa beg Majin to kill them so he can return to his mountain in peace,touched by this act,he turns into a ball of fire and does leave in peace,because of Kozasas tears. Sadly,the horrible lession learned here didn't reach all of midevil Japan,they'll be others!!,that's for another time. Some strange points of interrest,how did Daiei get Tohos Akira Ifukube to do the musical score?,and even stranger,by the end of 1971 it turns out that Masaichi Nagata and 3 other high ranking people at Daiei were accused of using company money to bribe political officials and other things as well.Thankfully Noriaki Yuasa wasn't among them,but because of this the high courts shut down Daiei in 1972.The Daiei studios have since been reopened under the Kadokawa name.
George
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 05:53:17 PM »

You know the old saying,"You know what you're going to say and how it should come out but almost and didn't at the same time"?.Well I had it all thought out but again I see where some things went wrong,when you have to rechecking misspelled words,and very limited time to write it all down,I meant to say the boy sounds just like Rocky the flying Squirrel,and our evil lord guy forced peasants (plural) to build his fort.A few other random thoughts,it took this statue about 16yrs. to finally decide enough was enough,and other evil lord guys didn't hear about the horrible fate Samalvosuke suffered!,you have to remember this was a different era of time,they didn't have CNN or Fox News Network. One might also wonder what if Samalvosuke could have commandeered Dr.Whos TARDS or Mr.Peabodys Wayback Machine to get the modern weapons of warfare to use against Majin what would the outcome have been then?.Fortunately that didn't happen either,but as I said before,Samalvosuke was the first but he will not be the last,midevil Japan has been warned!.
Gene Worm
A Guru of Rubber Monsters, and a
Bad Movie Lover

Rubber Monsters > CGI Monsters

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 10:12:46 AM »

Killing samurais with giant living statues? Sound quite legitimate.

"Listen, you've got to get down below. There's something coming through, and it's the nastiest looking thing yet! Some of your buddies went down there a while ago, and I haven't seen them since."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Daimajin « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.