Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:47:18 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Far Country (1954) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Far Country (1954)  (Read 4271 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: June 16, 2007, 08:28:22 PM »

THE FAR COUNTRY (1954) - Anthony Mann directs another fine Western starring Jimmy Stewart. This time it's about a guy who drives some cattle from Wyoming to to Dawson City, Yukon, Canada were the Klondike Gold Rush happened. Jimmy Stewart plays a guy who doesn't need anyone, but has a long time partner who's waiting for him to settle in Utah. Lots of lawlessness and death in these mining towns and finally Stewart decides to take on the bad guys. Just an outstanding film that I could watch again right this moment. Lots of scenic mountain shots of Jasper National Park in Canada. Don't know how I missed all of this great Westerns directed by Anthony Mann. This is the third film of his that I have seen this month. Walter Brennen, Ruth Roman, and even Jack Elam has a part.

Thumbup Thumbup (9 out of 10 Stars) What can I say other than I really liked this one.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 03:56:03 PM »

I wonder if this one shouldn't be called a Northener.

For me the appeal of these films are not in its stars, but in all the fine character actors: Jay C, flippen, Harry Morgan, Steve Brodie, Robert J. Wilke, Royal Dano, Jack Elam, and John McIntire, in one of his few villainous roles, that one finds in one of these films.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 08:25:18 PM »

BoyScoutKevin your right about these older films having great supporting cast and side characters. I can't count the times I've watched Westerns and really found myself getting into the whole film. It is probably my favorite genre.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 09:27:07 AM »

While, technically, not a western, though it plays like one, if one is interested in other films about the early history of Alaska, then check out "Spawn of the North."

Russian fish pirates battle local fishermen for control of the salmon trade in early Alaska.

With George Raft and Henry Fonda, as friends, who fall out over Dorothy Lamour. Akim Tamiroff as the chief villain. John Barrymore as a newspaperman called "Windy." And you'll see, why if you see the film. Amd Lynne Overman, Fuzzy Knight, Vladimir Sokoloff, Duncan Renaldo, and Stanley Andrews. And Irving Bacon, Monte Blue, Henry Brandon, and Frank Puglia. And directed by Henry Hathaway.

For a film made in 1938, it is surprisingly violent.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Far Country (1954) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.