Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:44:49 AM
714259 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7737 Members
Latest Member: NannieHime
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Just Watched. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Just Watched.  (Read 9050 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« on: June 19, 2007, 02:48:05 PM »

Rock, Pretty Baby (1956)

Starring John Saxon, Sal Mineo, Luana Patten, Edward Platt and Fay Wray. Written by Herbert H. Margolis and William Raynor. Directed by Richard Bartlett.

Plot: Jimmy Daley (John Saxon at the ripe age of 21) is a young teenager hoping to finally make it big with his rock 'n' roll band much to the objections of his father who wishes his son would follow in his footsteps as a Doctor. As if life weren't complicated enough for the troubled teenager, he suddenly finds himself reluctantly falling for a new girl in his life named Joan Wright (Luana Patten).

Comments: This is pretty much an average example of the troubled teenager/juvenile deliquency genre from the 1950s. There's lots of moralizing and emotionally charged conversations that sound anything but really typical of the average family although they do well represent how family values were expressed in the movies during this era. The biggest problem this has is it's painfully obvious all the music is only being pretend played and performed. Still any movie that has John Saxon as a brooding, troubled teenager cannot be all bad especially considering his parents are played by Edward Platt and Fay Wray and his sister is a very young Shelley Fabares. The music is actually more jazzy than rock and roll in the movie too which may or may not be a bad thing depending on one's taste. Overall I enjoyed this far more than logic dictates I should but then I don't think I'll ever get enough of this style of drive-in fare and this isn't even one of the better examples of the tormented youth genre.  Innocent fun.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 05:51:43 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 03:27:48 PM »

Thumbup  I used to keep this in rotation at the video store.  Conversations about heavy petting always make for great background noise.

++josh;
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 09:13:15 PM »

House of 1000 Corpses (2003)

Starring Sid Haig, Bill Moseley, Karen Black, Sheri Moon, Chris Hardwick, Erin Daniels, Jennifer Jostyn and Rainn Wilson. Written and directed by Rob Zombie.

Plot: Two young couples travelling the backwoods of Texas in search of urban legends and bizarre tourist spots find themselves drawn to Captain Spaulding's Museum of Monsters and Madmen and are further intrigued to try and search down more information first uncovered there about a terrifying local legend, a serial killer known only as Dr. Satan!

Comments: This is basically just a retread of the vastly superior 1974 TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE (albeit without a chainsaw). The basic plot and series of events that unfold are pretty much the same if you stop and think about it although some of the character roles in the family of psychopaths have been changed here and there. Unlike the original TCM, this never manages to really truly create any sense that what is happening on screen is really in the realm of plausible reality (it doesn't help matters that much of the film looks and plays out like an insanely over the top music video), doesn't sufficiently build its suspense or create characters the audience feels for or truly sympathizes with. That said, I have to admit to enjoying some of the fine performances given here, most notably by Sid Haig whose Captain Spaulding, by far the most entertaining character in the film, isn't on screen near as much as he ought to have been. Bill Moseley as Otis also proves quite effective whenever his sick and twisted character is given a chance to shine. Aside from that, only Gregg Gibbs' Dr. Wolfenstein Horror Host style segments stand out.  I definitely prefer the early part of the movie that is less like TCM. The rest just feels like an inferior imitation to me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 10:24:38 AM by JaseSF » Logged

Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 09:39:53 PM »

If you haven't seen The Devil's Rejects, it's a vastly superior movie compared to House of 1000 Corpses.

I hated Corpses but thought that Devil's Rejects was a great film with the only weak link being Sheri Moon Zombie's acting at times.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 06:19:54 AM »

If you haven't seen The Devil's Rejects, it's a vastly superior movie compared to House of 1000 Corpses.

I hated Corpses but thought that Devil's Rejects was a great film with the only weak link being Sheri Moon Zombie's acting at times.

I agree...this was set-up like an extended White Zombie music video....I don't even make the connection between the two. Devil's Reject's is a great,SCARY film. No bullssht horror,with a capital H.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Neville

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 08:38:52 AM »

I think you're being a bit too tough on HOTTC, JaseSF. I don't think, for instance, that Rob Zombie intended the whole thing to be approached in realistic terms. This worked for both TCM (original and remake), but I think Zombie is aiming at a homage here, not at telling an original story. You can tell that from the visuals and production design, which are quite psychodelic, and by the fact he prefers to focus in the villains rather than in the victims.

This said, the movie has serious flaws, specially the pacing, and I agree with Torgo in that "Devil's rejects" is a much better film.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 10:58:25 AM »

I think you're being a bit too tough on HOTTC, JaseSF. I don't think, for instance, that Rob Zombie intended the whole thing to be approached in realistic terms. This worked for both TCM (original and remake), but I think Zombie is aiming at a homage here, not at telling an original story. You can tell that from the visuals and production design, which are quite psychodelic, and by the fact he prefers to focus in the villains rather than in the victims.

This said, the movie has serious flaws, specially the pacing, and I agree with Torgo in that "Devil's rejects" is a much better film.

I don't know, I like Ho1000kC better than Rejects.  I guess it's personal preference.  House is more of an homage to the "crazy family" sub-genre of horror films (i.e.- The Hills Have Eyes, TCM, Faster p***ycat Kill Kill).  I wish they'd come out with a director's cut.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Amontillado
Dedicated Viewer

John, you know Rosalynn.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 05:29:29 PM »

House was Zombie's first movie so of course it resembled a White Zombie video. If you watch the documentary with the two-disc Devil's Rejects he mentions his growth between the two. After he made House I think he realized he didn't need all the flashy cut scenes and other "needless" film. I think both movies are great for their own reasons. I personally think Rejects has the edge on House, however I think the best part of either of the two happened in House. The scene when the two police officers and one of the girl's father came to the house. The music, the camera angles, and the hesitation of the last shot were all beautifully done. One of those scenes that make ya all tingly in that same bone in your arm that made you throw rocks at squirrels when you were a kid. 

If I can build and install a pacemaker in this man\'s chest, I can damn well bouce a microwave off a satellite!
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 07:02:56 PM »

The Hurricane Express (1932)

Starring John Wayne, Shirley Grey, Edmund Breese, Tully Marshall and Conway Tearle. Written by J.P. McGowan, George Morgan, Barney Sarecky and Harold Tarshis based on a story by Colbert Clark, Wyndham Gittens and Barney Sarecky. Directed by J.P. McGowan and Armand Schaefer.

Plot:  A young airline pilot named Larry Baker [John Wayne] sets out to stop a mysterious mastermind known only as “The Wrecker” because his m.o. is to cause train wrecks in an apparent attempt to ruin the railroad company and steal their gold shipments.  "The Wrecker" is also responsible for the death of railroad engineer Jim Baker, Larry's father. Complicating matter is the fact that “The Wrecker” dons lifelike masks so that he can pass for anyone he should hope to set up to take the fall for his crimes.

Comments: This slow-moving movie serial will most likely prove of most interest to John Wayne fans as this spotlights him in his younger days playing the role of dashing hero  lead Larry Baker in this outing. In one scene he even wields a pair of guns as he attempts to hold off the Wrecker's gang. This is one of those movie serials best enjoyed in parts as it was originally intended to be seen. Watching each chapter separately should prove a much easier accomplishment that sitting through its full three and half hour + running time in one sitting which would be tough slugging indeed.  Interesting enough, John Wayne's Larry Baker seems to possess unusual strength in this one as he often will lift up one of the Wrecker gang henchman over his head, well a dummy that supposed to represent said character at any rate, and throw him at his fellow gang members one of whom was played by Glenn Strange TeddyR. The Wrecker too it seems can not only change his face with lifelike masks but can also change his entire body shape and size depending on who he's impersonating BounceGiggle.  This one also has a number of cliffhanger cheats where we see one ending in a previous episode end one way but the next episode shows a completely different outcome, hench characters who are apparently shot dead in one episode go completely unharmed in the next one.  Lookingup  Overall, this serial is harmless fun,  if somewhat dull and overlong at times,  that may prove even more enjoyable to those who take delight in seeing classic cars, airplanes and trains not to mention a young and fit John Wayne in action. Shirley Grey plays the gorgeous cutie/love interest of Larry Baker and certainly isn't hard on the eyes either.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 07:04:57 PM by JaseSF » Logged

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 09:50:48 AM »

The Lost City (1935)

Starring William "Stage" Boyd, Kane Richmond, Claudia Dell, Josef Swickard, George Hayes, Billy Bletcher and Margot D'Use. Written by Eddie Granemann, Leon D'Usseau and Perley Sheehan based on a story by Zelma Carroll, George M. Merrick and Robert Dillon. Directed by Harry Revier.

Plot: Dr. Manyus (Josef Swickard) is a brilliant scientist held captive by the mad Zolok (William "Stage" Boyd), ruler of a mysterious magical lost city in the middle of the African continent. By threatening Manyus's daughter Natcha (Claudia Dell), Zolok forces Manyus to create spectacular weapons for him including a machine capable of erasing minds and turning men (here their target is natives) into giant slaves. Zolok's use of Manyus's many electrical devices have taken on such an extent it's begun to cause tidal waves and bizarre electrical storms worldwide. Bruce Gordon (Kane Richmond) is a devoted young electrical engineer dedicated to finding the source of energy responsible for causing this destruction and chaos so he sets off on an expedition to Africa and soon discovers the wonders of the lost city. Can he and his ally Jerry Delaney (Eddie Fetherstone) rescue Manyus and his daughter from their terrible fate or will they too become mere tools and slaves of the crazed Zolok?

Comments: A fun movie serial that seems completely outrageous by today's standards, this features lots of sci-fi gadgets including ray guns, death rays not to mention a machine capable of enlarging people. There are those that no doubt would consider some of this one's content objectionable especially when Manyus at one point turns a black native white  Buggedout !  I kid you not. And let's not forget the mindless giant black slaves grunt and groan like gorillas  BounceGiggle.  Anyways getting past that, this serial makes great use of its cliffhangers and always keeps the plot moving and interesting although Dr. Manyus does seem to get bounced from villain to villain almost like a ping pong ball. Of course, every villain wants Dr. Manyus to create an army of giant slaves to take over Africa. As to why anyone should want to take over Africa, well that's never sufficiently explained. Still I cannot say I was ever bored watching this although I'd imagine it might be tough going if one watches it four hours straight. Aside from William "Stage" Boyd over the top, hammy performance as Zolok that just has to be seen to be believed, I really enjoyed Margot D'Use's villainess Queen Rama whose as ruthless as she is is cunning and beautiful. This one's best moments come in the opening and closing chapters which feature Zolok most prominently.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 07:59:40 PM »

The New Adventures of Tarzan (1935)

Starring Herman Brix (later known as Bruce Bennett), Ula Holt, Frank Baker, Don Castello (later known as Ashton Dearholt) and Lewis Sargent. Written by Charles F. Royal, Basil Dickey, Bennett Cohen and Edwin Blum based on Edgar Rice Burroughs' characters, Burroughs himself was one of the movie serial's producers. Directed by Edward A. Kull and an uncredited Wilbur McGaugh.

Plot: Tarzan [Herman Brix] joins an expedition to Guatemala lead by his friend Major Martling [Frank Baker] to locate a precious totem named the Green Goddess for it is worshipped by savage natives in a a place known only as the dead city and also to rescue his old friend Lt. D'Arnot who he believes is being held captive there. This precious totem is said to contain not only a fortune in jewels but also the key to an explosive device unlike any the world has known. If not opened in the correct manner, the Green Goddess will explode. While Tarzan and his friends struggle with the native tribe, another interested party named Raglan steals the Green Goddess from under their noses and plans to use it for his own nefarious purposes. However in order to open the Goddess, Raglan [Don Castello] needs the code Martling has deciphered. Meanwhile yet another interested party, a mysterious young woman named Ula Vale [Ula Holt] is also on Raglan's trail hoping to thwart his efforts.

Comments: A very enjoyable, susprisingly fast-moving and adventurous Tarzan tale, one that is more true to Burroughs than most although that's not entirely surprising given his involvement. Lewis Sargent's comic relief character George is even used well to lighten the mood at appropriate moments. Apparently the plot to this one got changed along the way as original plans for the plot according to IMDB trivia: {"The original story for this serial featured munitions runners, Alice and Gordon mistaken for spies and pursued by the Guatemalan police, and Ula Vale as a mysterious figure revealed in the final episode to be an undercover government operative. The script was rewritten during production and these elements dropped. However, the original treatment was used for the pressbook synopsis and the original chapter titles were retained despite lacking relevance any longer (e.g. "Operative 17" as the final chapter). Virtually all Tarzan/serial film "historians" continue to refer to the pressbook synopsis, also, instead of watching the serial, and thus fail to accurately present the story that was finally filmed. Caveat emptor."} and probably explains the unexpected disappearance of Alice and Gordon part way through the serial only to reappear at the end as well as some of the serial introduction mentioning munition runners. Chapter 12 does seem totally unnnecessary however as our story is pretty well wrapped up by Chapter 11. Despite the problems mentioned above, this serial is actually pretty darn good with a more human Tarzan whose much closer to the novels although some may be disturbed by how the natives are quickly dispatched and killed as though their lives are worthless. Granted it was likely the lives of our heroes or theirs but still, it will bother many viewers.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 08:26:24 PM »

The Mad Ghoul (1943)

Starring David Bruce, Evelyn Ankers, George Zucco, Robert Armstrong and Turhan Bey. Written by Paul Gangelin and Brenda Weisberg based on a story by Hanns Kräly. Directed by James P. Hogan.

Plot: Curious to test his latest experimental chemical formula, based on an ancient Mayan nerve gas, on a human subject, chemistry professor/mad scientist Dr. Alfred Morris (played by George Zucco, certainly no stranger to the mad doctor role) tricks student Ted Allison (David Bruce) into being his unwitting subject. Also Dr. Morris has his eyes set firmly on another prize, Allison's young singer fiancee Isabel Lewis (Evelyn Ankers), who he discovers is no longer in love with Ted. When he later learns her heart beats for yet another (Turhan Bey), he commands Ted, turned into a type of zombie/ghoul by the formula to take out his adversary. Ted, not even fully aware of his actions in his zombie-like state, needs human hearts in order for Dr. Morris to make him an antidote, however terribly enough its effects never seem to last and the pair have to go on killing and killing.

Comments: George Zucco may have been somewhat typecast into the mad scientist role but boy does he ever approach these roles with full gusto. This one is certainly no exception IMO. Dr. Morris may be a little one-dimensional but Zucco still manages to completely steal the show with him giving by far the best and most memorable performance in the movie and who could really blame Dr. Morris for being smitten by the lovely Evelyn Ankers? David Bruce too does shine here does some key moments and makes a surprisingly effective and creepy zombie at times. I have to admit to giving a little cheer when Ted finally takes something of a stand for himself in the end. While this movie isn't quite as effective or anywhere near as memorable as most Universal horrors, it definitely has its moments of thrills and chills to delight, enough to make it worth checking out. Honestly on a personal level, it's the most fun I've had watching a movie in quite some time.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 08:28:38 PM by JaseSF » Logged

Menard
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 08:52:04 PM »

I think it's official, Jase has had his caffeine fix today.

You have put quite a bit of effort into your reviews, not just casual observations.

Here's an idea for Andrew: make this a sticky topic, or (better) give Jase his own sub-forum; we both know he can more than fill it up.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 10:31:44 PM »

Actually Menard I just finally found some free time to watch my Treeline 150 Episode Movie Serial Video Collection and a few other items I had around waiting to be watched. In any case, glad you like my little effort here. It's actually pretty much akin to the IT CAME FROM MY COLLECTION thread I had going at Scifilm.  I hope to in time contribute some review stuff for Andrew if he'll have it.

Helps there's usually nothing on TV and I have loads upon loads of stuff still to view. Anyways, it looks like I'll be leaving sometime towards the end of the week on a working trip. Not sure how long I'll be gone, when I'll have to leave yet or when I'll be back but hey that's the nature of my job.

Raffine

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2007, 12:48:47 PM »

Bah!

I just deleted a lovely long and insightful post praising Jase's THE MAD GHOUL review, George Zucco, and also-ran Universal horrors. There was even a THE MAD MONSTER and a Dwight Frye reference.

Oh well,  Thumbup and 'Karma'.

Twirling

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 12:50:54 PM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Just Watched. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.