Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:21:04 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Slither « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Slither  (Read 4146 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: June 19, 2007, 05:13:10 PM »

I finally picked this up and watched it.  It is another great addition to the catalog of modern b-movies, just like "Feast."

*** SPOILERS FOLLOW ***

A meteorite drops a small organic pod into the backwoods near a small town.  One night, while on the edge of adultery, a guy named Grant is nailed by a dart fired from the thing.  He begins to mutate and infects Brenda (the woman, not his wife, that he was going to boink) via two tentacles that sprout from his chest.  He then chains her up in a barn and feeds her piles of meat.  Meanwhile, he continues to mutate.  The local sheriff, who has had a thing for Grant's wife (Starla) ever since childhood, refers to mutated Grant as "the squid."  There's a funny scene with the police marking a map with little squid markers to track Grant's movements.

I really liked some of the characterizations of the infected people turned into breeders.  They are, "So hungry, I never knew a person could be so hungry." and will eat anything.  When the sheriff and his posse follow squid Grant back to the barn, huge bloated Brenda pops and hundreds of alien worms spill out.  Some of the posse are infected, while the sheriff, Starla, and a few others manage to cover their mouths.  Alien brain worm zombies are violent creatures that spit acid, as the sheriff notes when he yells, "What's with the spitting?" (A car window blocks the goop.)  You'd have to see the scene, but that line is pretty funny.

The town is overrun by the worms and everyone turned into zombies or killed for meat before the surviving characters can get back.  When they do, they find that mutated Grant is making more breeders and just about ready to start an exponential expansion.  Some of the scenes reminded me of "Society" and, again, the sheriff had a hilarious comment along the lines of, "This is some pretty f**ked up s**t here." which about sums it up for the alien's biological tendencies.  Can humanity be saved?

Oh, and I loved it when the mayor (infected and becoming a breeder) grabs the sheriff and begs, "Kill me!"  The hero doesn't have one of those stupid agonizing scenes that so many other movies tend toward.  He just shoots the mayor in the head immediately and moves on.

Many had a say about this when Scott started a topic some time ago, but I wanted to post about it, because it was a lot of fun.

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,111376.0.html

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 05:33:44 PM »

***** Spoiler maybe****

One of my fav lines is when the sheriff and the girl find a bunch of zombies milling around and she says "What do we do now?" and he says "I don't know.  Probably get turned into one of those f*cked up things".   "Isn't that kind of negative?"  "It's been that kind of day".  Great stuff!

I like the mayor's Mr. Pibb rant in the back of the cruiser.  It was a fun movie with homages galore!

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »

Oh, and something I forgot to mention is the genius use of Air Supply during the scenes with the town overrun by acid-spitting zombies.  "I'm All Out of Love" plays as brain worm zombies drag dead bodies through the streets.  I was laughing so hard that I had to stop the movie.

One of my fav lines is when the sheriff and the girl find a bunch of zombies milling around and she says "What do we do now?" and he says "I don't know.  Probably get turned into one of those f*cked up things".   "Isn't that kind of negative?"  "It's been that kind of day".  Great stuff!

The sheriff had quite a few very good lines.  Hats off to the director/writer, James Gunn.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Torgo

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 09:32:36 PM »

I thought that the 1st half was much stronger than the 2nd half, but overall I still found it to be a pretty fun flick.  Reminded me of Night of the Creeps in some instances though.

Michael Rooker is a hoot in Slither!   TeddyR 

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 05:22:27 AM »

Hollywood take note: THIS is how you get me to watch your movies nowadays! I thought it was one of THEE best monster movies made in the past 20 years!!! I LOVE this movie! MONSTERS!!!! GORE!!! MORE MONSTERS! And a great cast too! Two tentacles up! Thumbup  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 11:12:50 AM »

From what I know, "Slither" didn't do too well for making money.  That's a darn shame.  I wonder if the good b-movies are getting buried or lost in all the dreck put out by people like UFO and the other SciFi Channel stuff.  Looking back, a lot of classic b-movies only become known after years.  People need time to find them and tell each other about them.  Sort of like winnowing grain...

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 11:22:09 AM »

I saw this at hollywood video yesterday. I looked stupid, so i passed it by. Maybe ill go rent it..

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
peter johnson

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 01:30:40 PM »

This is a great bit of stuff --
I especially liked the kids in this one, especially the little girl begging the people to get out of the car -- You could tell the kids were having the time of their lives being "bad" monsters!!
I also loved the outtakes of the scene where the "cow" tips over, ditto the actual scene in the film wherein Grant devours the cow.
Jest a good ol' time at the picture show!
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Amontillado
Dedicated Viewer

John, you know Rosalynn.

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 05:04:59 PM »

I think Slither is easily one of the best horror movies to come out in the past five years. I especially loved the homage to Cronenberg's Shivers with the bathtub scene. Right before that scene I thought it was awesome that the little girls were reading R.L. Stine's Goosebumps books. The writer/director James Gunn also wrote the Dawn of the Dead remake which I thought was the best horror remake since predecesor Night of the Living Dead got a facelift from Tom Savini. Now that Torgo mentioned it, I read somewhere that Gunn hadn't seen Night of the Creeps until he was done filming. No sex with farm animals. It was more an homage to the aforementioned Shivers, Slugs, and another space slug/parasite movie that I didn't recognize (and now totally forget). The references were everywhere too, which I really enjoyed. Like the ammunition store is named after Max Renn, the bar is named Henenlotter's, and the Mayor is named MacReady. It was a very weel done, delibrately cheesy horror movie with some great humor and action. It really came through that it was a horror movie made by a horror fanatic for horror fanatics.

My personal favorite part:

"It's obvious the bastard's got Lyme disease."
"What?"
"Lyme disease. You touch some deer feces, and then you eat a sandwich without washing your hands. You got your Lyme disease."
"And that makes you look like a squid?"

*I contracted Lyme disease (and tick borne malaria, which was fun) three years ago. Knowing this my girlfriend refered to my johnson as calamari for a few weeks. You guys probably didn't need to know that, huh?

If I can build and install a pacemaker in this man\'s chest, I can damn well bouce a microwave off a satellite!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 05:14:02 PM »

When Micheal Rooker is poking it with the stick out in the woods,I got a big time the BLOB flashback(50's version)!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 05:37:58 PM »

I must admit this one was pretty good - I caught it on SHOWTIME a week or so back.    The whole bathroom sequence, where the worm nearly got down the girls throat, had me wanting to use  a whole bottle of Listerine!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 08:24:54 AM »

This one came out on DVD on my wedding anniversary last year.  Took the wife out for a nice dinner and then immediately headed over to Wal-Mart to pick the DVD up.  It's a great film, and at the top of the "monster" films to come out recently.

The film works for me for four reasons:

James Gunn's great directing eye, and his knack for writing hilarious and witty scripts.

Michael Rooker's ability to ham every scene up, but to do so with the utmost seriousness.

Gregg Henry's fantastic job as the mayor, and his rant about Mr. Pibb.

Nathan Fillion just because the guy is a hell of an actor and you can tell that he was having fun every single moment of the film.

The only problem that I have with the film is Elizabeth Banks as Starla.  I'm not a big fan of her acting, and she left me cold in this one.  She just didn't seem to get into her role or get into the film as much as the other actors and it's a shame. 

Overall though, it's a damn good film and well worth purchasing.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 08:27:43 AM »

My personal favorite part:

"It's obvious the bastard's got Lyme disease."
"What?"
"Lyme disease. You touch some deer feces, and then you eat a sandwich without washing your hands. You got your Lyme disease."
"And that makes you look like a squid?"

*I contracted Lyme disease (and tick borne malaria, which was fun) three years ago. Knowing this my girlfriend refered to my johnson as calamari for a few weeks. You guys probably didn't need to know that, huh?

During this scene look for Lloyd Kaufman in the background as a drunk bum
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Slither « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.