Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:33:43 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Punk Rock music « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Author Topic: Punk Rock music  (Read 45586 times)
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 04:49:58 PM »

I saw the Misfits in '04.  Jerry was very cool.  After the show he signed autographs for 45 minutes.  I didn't have anything for him to sign but I did have a toy store receipt in my wallet.  BounceGiggle  So I have a Jerry Only autograph on a crumpled receipt.

I love the New York Dolls as well.  My friend had a band a while back whose two main influences were the New York Dolls and Misfits.  It was glam-horror-punk kinda thing.  Great stuff.  They broke up unfortunately...mostly because they had all settled down.

Bad Brains has a new album coming out tomorrow.  They're going back to their roots...No reggae!  It's produced by one of the Beastie Boys.  I can't wait to pick it up!  Thumbup

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
MoronBoy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 08:25:14 PM »

I love The Misfits, but I personally think that Jerry and Glenn can be real tools. Though, Jerry is much less of a tool than Glenn.  I saw the last incarnation with Dez Cadena and Marky Ramone back in '04. That was a pretty awesome show. They broke into some Black Flag and some Ramones as well. The 50s cover album was decent. Isn't Robo playing with them again now?

Robo(Black Flag) played with the Misfits when I seen them in Nov. '05.

The Only/Dez/Marky line-up plays in a side project called Osaka Popstar with John Cafiero(I think he's a producer) and Ivan Julian(Richard Hell and The Voidiods). They released a CD which is kinda a poppy punk. It's mainly covers(just 2 original songs) including their own versions of Daniel Johnston's "Wicked World", "Man of Constant Sorrow" from "O Brother, Where Art Thou", Kids of Widney High's "Insects", the theme song to "Astro Boy", and others. Fun CD, if you listen to it not expecting it to sound like Black Flag or the Misfits.
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 09:28:11 PM »

Music wise, I can't listen to any Misfits CDs beyond American Psycho, and even that one was a little too soft for my tastes. I hear mixed things about Danzig as a person. A guy I used to work with who was a manager at Best Buy back when Danzig was probably at his highest commercial success. There was an autograph session at his store and he said that when there weren't any fans around, Danzig was a really quiet, reserved type who drank orange juice and didn't make any of the usual a-hole demands for special treatment. I saw him during his "retirement" tour a couple years ago and enjoyed it, especially when Doyle stomped out onto stage with his giant Frankenstein boots to do all the classic Misfits sets. Also discovered the Polish metal group Behemoth, who, as they said, "we come all the way from Poland to rock with you!".

As far as punk music goes, I listen to anything Rancid related, whether it's regular albums, side projects or solo stuff. My fiancee was awesome enough to treat me to a their last NYC show at BB King's in Times Square last year and it was the coolest show I've ever been to. The crowd was devoted and everybody sang along with each song word-for-word. A fight broke out right next to me, but the guys stopped the show and told the guys to get the f*ck out if they were gonna pull that jock monkey testosterone bullspit at their show. Video screens around the stage played horror movie clips the entire set, including the Evil Dead movies and original Romero Dead trilogy.

We also went to a Bad Religion show last year too, but I'm sorry to say that the crowd banter between songs really blunted my opinions of them as far as being as cool as their music. Still love the tracks, just not sure I'd take in another one of their shows. Pennywise on the other hand were just as angry and loud as their music, which turned out to be my highlight for the show.

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 06:37:54 AM »

As far as punk music goes, I listen to anything Rancid related, whether it's regular albums, side projects or solo stuff. My fiancee was awesome enough to treat me to a their last NYC show at BB King's in Times Square last year and it was the coolest show I've ever been to. The crowd was devoted and everybody sang along with each song word-for-word. A fight broke out right next to me, but the guys stopped the show and told the guys to get the f*ck out if they were gonna pull that jock monkey testosterone bullspit at their show. Video screens around the stage played horror movie clips the entire set, including the Evil Dead movies and original Romero Dead trilogy.

I went to the Warped Tour a couple of years ago and one of the only bands I wanted to see was Rancid.  They played 2 and 1/2 songs and then, I guess someone passed out or something because they stopped playing mid-song.  Some medics made their way slowly towards the person (it took them a half hour).  By the time they got the person out of there, Rancid had only time enough for 2 more songs before Less Than Jake was supposed to go on.  Needless to say, I wasn't too happy about it. 

I know why Rancid does stops the music if somebody goes down in the pit...A kid died at one of their concerts a while back during a mosh.  But, I payed good money and hung out in the hot sun all day long to hear 4 and 1/2 songs.  I'll never see them again.

Bad Religion is one of my favorite bands to see live.  I actually bumped into the guitar player at a pretty small venue in VA.  He was pretty cool because mostly (I think) that I didn't gush when I saw him or go, "Hey!  Your the guy from Bad Religion".  Most musicians hate that.  We just BS'ed for about five minutes about some of the goobers that were in the outdoor smoking area.  Cool guy.  Shorter and skinnier than you might think

I'm also a fan of the Adverts and the Saints.  Has anyone heard the new Saints album?  I was thinking about picking it up but I'm a little apprehensive about getting it since they haven't put out anything in years.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........

Amontillado
Dedicated Viewer

John, you know Rosalynn.

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 09:51:36 AM »

I saw the Misfits in '04.  Jerry was very cool.  After the show he signed autographs for 45 minutes.  I didn't have anything for him to sign but I did have a toy store receipt in my wallet.  BounceGiggle  So I have a Jerry Only autograph on a crumpled receipt.

My brother has a similar story. I guess it's just the whole thing where he never seems to be out of the stage get-up. I guess I can't fault him for that. Glenn's a peckerhead though. A friend of mine met him when he was playing at some festival (maybe Furnace Fest, I'm not sure). Anyway, he asked Glenn for an autograph, and Glenn refused and said something along the lines of him not giving out autographs to someone not able to bench 150. Brian Posehn's W.A.S.P. story reminded me of that.

I like Rancid, but I can't stand any of the side project stuff. I'm not the biggest fan of Lars, and the Transplants make me want to shoot myself in the face with a bazooka. Tim tries waaay too hard nowadays. I went to the Warped Tour in 98 because I wanted to see them, but I missed them on the count of being passed out. You learn life lessons when you're a stupid 17 year old. That day I learned one in the sun is worth two in the shade, and that I was a light weight.

All pits turn into that apeman crap nowadays. There's an ugliniess about it. It used to be everyone was bopping around, some pushing, some shoving, but everyone was concerned with themselves and feeding off of everyone else's energy. Now, most of the guys must "protect their manhood" by beating the p**s out of anyone that touches them, you know. They go in there with something to prove, not because its a release or its what the music prompts them to do. They go in to hurt people because that's what's fun to them.  It's crap like that that makes me think that the movie Idiocracy is going to happen.

Man, I love Gaye Advert. She was my dream woman when I was fourteen! Her and Debbie Harry.
My brother told me that the new Saints was decent. You've got to approach it like all the reunion albums. The Dolls, the Stooges, Stiff Little Fingers, they all put out new material but its more of a vehicle to hit the road with. They know everyone is going to want to hear their old songs, the new stuff is sort of novelty. Except the Damned. I really liked their recent stuff. And the New Model Army of course, but they never really stopped. Their new album is finished! Can't wait for that. Ugh, gonna miss the show unless they head back to NYC or to Boston when they get back from Canada.

If I can build and install a pacemaker in this man\'s chest, I can damn well bouce a microwave off a satellite!
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 03:11:46 PM »

Anyway, he asked Glenn for an autograph, and Glenn refused and said something along the lines of him not giving out autographs to someone not able to bench 150.

the funny thing is most musicans can't bench 150.  They are usually quite thin and weak.

Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 03:59:49 PM »

Anyway, he asked Glenn for an autograph, and Glenn refused and said something along the lines of him not giving out autographs to someone not able to bench 150.

the funny thing is most musicans can't bench 150.  They are usually quite thin and weak.

Yeah, I think only Rolins, Danzig, Jerry Only and Doyle can bench 150... TeddyR

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 08:44:52 PM »

The Ramones, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Misfits, Black Flag...I can listen to their stuff all day long and never get tired of it. I love the quick beats and hopping sounds. Actually punk actually reminds me in some ways of the Beach Rock music of the 1960s (especially the Ramones).

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
dean

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 05:09:47 AM »

Just watched an Original print of "Rock N Roll High School" a couple of weeks ago.  I must do a review, but it was lots of fun, and I still find it funny that Todd Rundgren, Devo and Van Halen were possibilities instead of the Ramones.  Ah how things may have turned out...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 05:51:00 AM »

TODD RUNDGREN???? Question  Why?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
dean

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 08:52:24 AM »

Just imagine how that would have turned out... hilarity would ensue, but for all the wrong reasons...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2007, 03:08:24 PM »

Okay, I have to start by saying that punk music never really grabbed my attention. I do like the Ramones and some individual songs from other bands, but I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan. I'm only posting to this topic because of my niece. She's fourteen and thinks she's a punk rocker. I call her a poser because she has no idea what a true punk is all about (she is extremely whitebread and thinks that Green Day is a great punk band). It's great fun to bait her, even though I am probably just as whitebread as she is (with mayo, no less).

Were/are the Dead Milkmen considered punk or New Wave? I know the hardcore punk fans hated New Wave, but some bands seemed to ride the line, and I always liked at least some of the Dead Milkmen tunes.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2007, 10:09:38 PM »

I love both late 70s, early 80s punk and 80s New Wave although it became less enjoyable when it turned into mostly soft rock love ballads. New Wave and Punk do have some level of crossover IMO.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2007, 10:14:41 PM »

I've been into Punk for a very long time.  The music definitely changed my my life for the better.  Just as I was beginning to realize that popular music was crap, and that the values of "normal" society were unacceptable to me, along came punk.  The music really spoke to me.  What a breath of fresh air!  I suddenly had an outlet for my rage, and met people that I actually had a lot in common with.  I like many of the bands already mentioned.  I usually have a favorite band, but that seems to change every few years.  If I had to pick an all-time fave it would probably be the Misfits.  I'm currently "rediscovering" some of my old favorites because I am in the process of putting my old vinyl onto MP3 discs.  Besides the old vinyl (DKs, Minor Threat, Subhumans, Society Dog, DOA, Black Flag, Ramones, Adicts, MDC, Toxic Reasons, and way too many more to list), I've been listening to  a lot of lo-fi garage lately.  One of the newer bands I like a lot are The Coffin Lids.  I've also been getting into a lot of Japanese stuff lately like Supersnazz, Teengenerate, Guitar Wolf, The Jet Boys, and Balzac.  Japanese punk rocks! 

Two former favorites that I can't stand anymore are The Clash, and Bad Religion.  The albums "Recipe For Hate" and "Sandinista" were turning points in the wrong direction for those two, and I haven't been able to listen to them since. 

A lot of "old-school" punks seem be taking the opinion that punk has been co-opted by the mainstream and is ruined because of bands like Green Day, Blink 182, AFI, etc., but I don't think things have really changed as much as some people think.  There really is no such thing as new school or old school punk.  There is "punk", and there is "not punk," and the true punks know this.  The media and the music industry try to tell us what is punk, but they don't have a clue.  It was the same way back in the 80's when the mainstream was calling Billy Idol, Bow Wow Wow and Elvis Costello punk.  Now it's Blink 182, Green Day, and Good Charlotte!  Different names, same story.  If you want to listen to real punk bands, they are alive and well, and you can find them with a little effort, so the geezers need to stop whining and support the cool bands that are keeping it real!     
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2007, 09:29:10 AM »

As far as Danzig goes, for anybody who hasn't seen it yet, here's a vid of his confrontation with a guy backstage at a show. The metal midget is finally put in his place...

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=GA84_Gb8EWk

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Punk Rock music « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.