Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:01:01 PM
714346 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Punk Rock music « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Author Topic: Punk Rock music  (Read 46022 times)
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 11:21:03 PM »

Anyone heard Big Dand the Kids Table's new album "Strickly Rude"? Its SKANKLICIOUS!! Cheers

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2007, 04:56:36 PM »

I used to listen to LOTS of punk music in the 80's and early 90's....not so much now as I mellow out...(read GOT OLD).Still...oh-whateer! Do you like punk rock,and any favorite...here's some of my favorite punk acts,and my favorite albums by them!
.the RAMONES-Rocket to Russia-all they're stuff,really!
.The STOOGES-the 1st album...'1969' is more than ok...it's titties and beer!
.the DEAD KENNEDYS-a toss up between' Freash Fruit for Rotting Vegtables' and 'Frankenchrist'.the CRAMPS-Bad Music for Bad People-does that mean me? Question
My favorite band at the moment is THE STOOGES, though they're referred to as "proto-punk" and frankly better than many so-called Punk bands. 

Bands like THE CRAMPS were kind of an inside joke, in a good way.   Bad Music For Bad People, I'm sure you know, is a compilation of their best and the one to own.   

Does anyone listen to acts like ULTRAVOX, JOY DIVISION, NEW YORK DOLLS, THE SMITHS, WAYNE COUNTY, BLONDIE (yes I actually wrote "Blondie") BUSH TETRAS, CHRONIC SICK, ...?

So, has anyone notuiced how the Clash are actually quite musiclal and melodic?  Its actually not that punk at all.  Frankly, I just don't get punk.  Ska, yes, and the attotudes behind punk yes, but I don't get punk music.  I want to get it, but sadly, do not.
-Ed
Whoever said Punk isn't "musical" or "melodic?"  Perhaps THE CLASH differ from other Punk-labeled bands in that their songs are very often not simple.  THE SPECIALS, with at least a few great Ska albums, were way Punk, though the term is still too loosely used to be ironclad.  If a band was intelligent, political, rocked hard, and were undersold, they were PUNK. 

The Ramones, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Misfits, Black Flag...I can listen to their stuff all day long and never get tired of it. I love the quick beats and hopping sounds. Actually punk actually reminds me in some ways of the Beach Rock music of the 1960s (especially the Ramones).
Now you're getting to the root of so-called Punk, which was more intended as a return to the 2.5 minute single and Chuck Berry (and CHESS Records) Surf Music, Rockabilly, than anything else.   All the rest, the politicizing, the antics, are all accoutrement.  It's true that bands like THE RAMONES, for one, missed the heady, fast and hot, quick, singles of early Rock n' Roll and were reacting to the psychedelia and a perceived "overblown" aspect to Acid Rock and Art Rock releases. 
Punk wasn't born in New York, Los Angeles, or London.  If you have to pick a city, it was Detroit.  THE STOOGES, though not a true Punk band (were originally called the PSYCHEDELIC STOOGES and such influence is apparent on all three of their albums) presumably inspired a bunch of would be Punk Rock gods with their 1969 release of their first album, one of the most important and prophetic LPs in modern music (though they themselves were not that interested in the 2.5 minute single and had no luck with any).  THE MC5, also from Detroit, invented the definitive Punk Rock sound on their BACK IN THE USA set, sometimes they almost sound like THE CARS... observations like this make me blur the line even further between "Punk" and "New Wave." 

Anybody listen to the old 1972 compilation of national and regional hits Nuggets it was re-released as a 4 disk set (from a double LP) including dozens of 60s "garage rock" bands like THE STANDELLS, THE ELECTRIC PRUNES, THE BALOON FARM, THE SEEDS, THE AMBOY DUKES...?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 09:07:29 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2007, 07:54:20 PM »

I reckon I'm ol skool

Since I haven't kept up with music much in the last 20 years the only punk I've got is ...

The Sex Pistols
The Clash
The Ramones

Some of these group I saw listed, I've never heard of. Shows you how much out of the loop you get as you get older, get married and have kids.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2007, 08:02:45 PM »

What I've heard of JOY DIVISION I felt was awesome.  Possibly the band that paved the way for New Wave music? The Cars are New Wave too IMO.  So where do DEXYS MIDNIGHT RUNNERS, one the most underrated bands in history, rank?

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2007, 08:17:25 PM »

What I've heard of JOY DIVISION I felt was awesome.  Possibly the band that paved the way for New Wave music? The Cars are New Wave too IMO.  So where do DEXYS MIDNIGHT RUNNERS, one the most underrated bands in history, rank?
JOY DIVISION became NEW ORDER after Ian Curtis killed himself. 
Too Rye Aye was a damned good album, as I recall; they had a huge international hit with "Come On Eileen."   DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS warrant no mention in the Rolling Stone Album Guide of 2004 which does not surprise me as there are many exclusions; the editors of which I emailed regarding exclusion of artists like THOMAS DOLBY.  I never received any response. 

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2007, 09:22:31 PM »

I like some of the bands mentioned earlier, like Sex Pistols, Ramones, etc. 

I like Bad Religion and The Dead Milkmen as well. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2007, 12:32:28 AM »

I like some of the bands mentioned earlier, like Sex Pistols, Ramones, etc. 

I like Bad Religion and The Dead Milkmen as well. 

I just discovered the dead milkmen last night. There pretty good, but they aint no Misfits.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2007, 04:06:02 PM »

JOY DIVISION became NEW ORDER after Ian Curtis killed himself. 
Too Rye Aye was a damned good album, as I recall; they had a huge international hit with "Come On Eileen."   DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS warrant no mention in the Rolling Stone Album Guide of 2004 which does not surprise me as there are many exclusions; the editors of which I emailed regarding exclusion of artists like THOMAS DOLBY.  I never received any response. 

ROLLING STONE rag don't know sh!t from apple butter. They pretty much ignored the punk revolution when it was occuring...better to play it safe and retread the hippy dippy stuff, disco,and junk like STYX and BOSTON. Now that it is acknowledged,they jump on the bandwagon and yatter away....

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2007, 09:56:51 PM »

Yeah, don't pay attention to the lists that they put out.  Not just Rolling Stone, but any of those mags, like Blender, Spin, etc.  Most of the lists they put together generally don't mean anything.  It's the same retreaded list, just rearranged differently.

And I wanna know why some artists never seem to get as much recognition as others.  I see Elvis and Chuck Berry listed a lot (I do like both), but not Jerry Lee Lewis or Buddy Holly. 

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2007, 07:48:31 PM »

Yeah, don't pay attention to the lists that they put out.  Not just Rolling Stone, but any of those mags, like Blender, Spin, etc.  Most of the lists they put together generally don't mean anything.  It's the same retreaded list, just rearranged differently.

And I wanna know why some artists never seem to get as much recognition as others.  I see Elvis and Chuck Berry listed a lot (I do like both), but not Jerry Lee Lewis or Buddy Holly. 
Hello, HappyGilmore.  I was not referring to the Rolling Stone List of 500 Greatest Albums (or whatever) but their book which was compiled the same year!  Albums included in the magazine's TOP 100 were denigrated by the book, and artists who issued such records in some cases are completely ignored (CAPTAIN BEEFHEART'S Trout Mask Replica made the top 100, but warrants no review at all in the 2004 guide!)  To me, it's editorial idiocy; Rolling Stone, though currently enmired, was and remains an important American paper that has covered, dis-covered, and mis-covered all areas of ROCK and POP, with some damned great journalism along the way as well as a fair amount of pomposity.  It's amazing to think when they started out, they were counter-culture! 

I don't care for JERRY LEE LEWIS so much, and when I hear him referred to as "The Killer" I think of the plane he sold to RICK NELSON...I do recognize that he was important and recorded some superior records.  BUDDY HOLLY made #92 with a 20 track collection; JERRY LEE LEWIS does not make the top 100.  BUDDY HOLLY, though remembered fondly, is largely overlooked, which is a damned shame considering he was of such rare genius!   Thumbup
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 08:02:27 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2007, 11:05:54 AM »

I think Rolling Stone's a decent magazine, but just some of their lists make me cringe.  But I do agree with your comment.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2007, 05:42:32 AM »

A good rag usta be METAL MANIACS,untill they started reviewing junk like Cannibal Corpse sound a likes. Way back when,Creem was a well written mag.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
voltron

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2007, 01:46:40 PM »

Yes! Metal Maniacs is (sorry, was) a well written, dare I say intelligent metal mag. I read the mag from the very beginning. My favorite period was when they had actual musicians writing for it (Alicia Morgan - 13, Mike Williams - Eyehategod, Kevin Sharp - Brutal truth, etc.)
And yeah, RCMerchant, Cannibal Corpse clones SUCK. So called "brutal" death metal is for hicks.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2007, 06:49:46 PM »

Yes! Metal Maniacs is (sorry, was) a well written, dare I say intelligent metal mag. I read the mag from the very beginning. My favorite period was when they had actual musicians writing for it (Alicia Morgan - 13, Mike Williams - Eyehategod, Kevin Sharp - Brutal truth, etc.)
And yeah, RCMerchant, Cannibal Corpse clones SUCK. So called "brutal" death metal is for hicks.

Cool! Another person who has actually even HEARD of METAL MANIACS!!!   I would have not have ever heard of good stuff like NAPALM DEATH, NUCULER ASSAULT,C.O.C, MUCKY PUP,and a lotta other good and virtually unknown bands, save  through MM. And the letters page was always interesting,where everything from politics and religion was discussed,unlike the lame crap published in most music 'zines...MM really went out on a limb to give ink to unknown,underground punk,metal...all sortsa stuff!   Thumbup
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 06:52:47 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
IzzyDedjet
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2007, 09:20:40 PM »

My favorite punk bands were Butt Trumpet and their offspring Betty Blowtorch.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Punk Rock music « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.