Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:48:16 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Manitou « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Manitou  (Read 6715 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: June 23, 2007, 09:33:24 AM »

wow

What's so insane about this movie is how conventionally the director tells the story of a woman with a man growing on her back.  You could really go crazy watching this.   It's not "experimental" at all.  the closest thing I could compare it too would be either "The Exorcist" or a shaw brothers horror like "seeding of a Ghost". 

I've never done PCP before but iI imagine it's sort of like this.  a nightmare but an awesome nightmare.  highest recommendation.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 07:30:39 AM »

I posted some comments about this a few months after I bought the DVD.  Tony Curtis has no shame.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »

What "Wows' me about it Lester is the fact that you didn't know about Andrew's review.

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/manitou/index.html

Tsk Tsk...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 08:02:31 AM by Ash » Logged
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 08:56:07 AM »

I saw the review afterwards.  i actually saw Soul Venegence the same evening and saw he had a review for that too.  I liked it alot more than he.

I loved the movie but didn' t like Tony Curtis in the lead.  I wonder if Susan Stassburg used the strassburg method when she was battling the manitou nude
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 12:25:27 PM »

This incredibly ROTTEN movie THE MANITOU (1978) was on TCM this morning.  I left it on, but only watched parts... I saw it like 35 years ago on cable and it was another one of those yech cable movies (like THE BROOD).  I knew what I was in for, but the cast is amazing!!!  ANN SOTHERN is in here!  STELLA STEVENS... PAUL MANTEE (and his wife I guess)... TONY CURTIS SUSAN STRASBERG MICHAEL ANSARA (who is great as always)!!!  Apparently ALL these actors were at the NADIR of their careers.  

Andrew's review is hilarious...!!!  I particularly enjoyed the sound-bytes.  
And that clip of SUSAN STRASBERG...she sure is enjoying herself!  
"Computers have souls and those spirits can give you the power to fire particle beams from your palms!"  BounceGiggle  

The Manitou (1978) Trailer

Here is the whole damned movie and Andrew is right... could the credits be any longer for this ROTTEN movie????
Okay, okay there was a bit of hyperbole there, they are just over 3 minutes.  THREE f**kING MINUTES!!!  Really?  To achieve... this???  

The Manitou (1978) # english
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:43:46 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 08:35:05 AM »

I guess eleven spaces after a period and two sentence reviews were my steez in 2007. Now I've moved up to one space and 4 sentences.

I included this movie in my 5 Excellent Films http://lesterhalfjr.blogspot.com/2012/04/5-excellent-films.html

along with Swept Away and Der Globolinks
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 02:33:58 PM »

I have a real soft spot for this.   It was a USA Up All Night/Night Flight feature, I think. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Archivist

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 06:56:59 PM »

The trailer for The Manitou looks like the bomb!  I just might have to watch this.  It's not based on the Graham Masterton book, is it?

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
The Burgomaster

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 02:45:29 PM »

The trailer for The Manitou looks like the bomb!  I just might have to watch this.  It's not based on the Graham Masterton book, is it?

It is.  The book is much better.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Archivist

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 03:57:06 AM »

Oh!  The tralier makes it look way too goofy to be a Masterton adaptation.  I always think of Masterton books as being hyper-real, super gritty movies, more like the early Saw movies or similar.  This looks like a cross between From Beyond (1986) and The Gate (1987), with a bit of Phantasm thrown in.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 03:59:29 AM by Archivist » Logged

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 09:32:36 PM »

Oh!  The tralier makes it look way too goofy to be a Masterton adaptation.  I always think of Masterton books as being hyper-real, super gritty movies, more like the early Saw movies or similar.  This looks like a cross between From Beyond (1986) and The Gate (1987), with a bit of Phantasm thrown in.
THE MANITOU wishes it were as good as any of those. 

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 06:09:08 AM »

In South Africa, sick bags were issued at the film's premiere.  TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 03:41:15 PM »

I suppose sick bags were an enticement.  In THE MANITOU BURGESS MEREDITH (yup, him) asks if SUSAN STRASBERG is  a "young woman" to which TONY CURTIS agrees... somewhere in there, too, her age is announced as "28"...  She was 40. 
Andrew's sound bytes are wonderful! 

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 08:42:39 PM »

She was great in Scream of Fear (1961) b & w horror
The Burgomaster

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 04:01:46 PM »

I wish I had one while I was watching the DVD.  I could have filled it with vomit and thrown it at the TV screen.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Manitou « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.