Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:59:34 AM
714357 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Thing « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Thing  (Read 11991 times)
Amontillado
Dedicated Viewer

John, you know Rosalynn.

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 03:57:07 PM »

Hail Zod!

If I can build and install a pacemaker in this man\'s chest, I can damn well bouce a microwave off a satellite!
Goji_girl
Bad Movie Lover

MEATLOAF! (meet-low-ff)

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 04:40:57 PM »

Okay, maybe I was wrong. But the part with the guy's head falls off when he's on the operating table threw even me off. I haven't seen it in a long time but I did remember it being... well, to my standards... just wierd.

Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 04:49:22 PM »

+1 for bravery. And I'll stop giving away karma points for today, before it becomes addictive.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 01:47:21 AM »

Okay, maybe I was wrong. But the part with the guy's head falls off when he's on the operating table threw even me off. I haven't seen it in a long time but I did remember it being... well, to my standards... just wierd.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because it has been a while, but I think his head actually launches off.  It gets forgotten in the scuffle for a bit, and it sprouts eyes on stalks, little buggy legs, and it scuttles off under the furniture like a crab dropped into the bottom of your fishing boat.  It then tries to sidle away, very disturbingly, while their backs are turned, until it gets a good dose of flame.

Dang, what a movie that is.  It was incredibly harrowing to watch, for me, back in the 80's (when I was a teenager).  It is a great masterpiece.  It builds slowly, and has periods of tension building punctuated by absolutely horrifying violence and gore.    It ranks up there with Alien, and with Roger Federer's forehand.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 05:47:07 AM »

I apoligize for thinking you were Wyre Wizard,but I was kinda shell shocked that you had never heard of the THING.! As for not liking it...to each his own. I can't stand ROCKY HORROR,which for most cult movie fans,is something of a masterpiece....Again,I really am sorry! Welcome aboard! Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 06:45:33 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, because it has been a while, but I think his head actually launches off.  It gets forgotten in the scuffle for a bit, and it sprouts eyes on stalks, little buggy legs, and it scuttles off under the furniture like a crab dropped into the bottom of your fishing boat.  It then tries to sidle away, very disturbingly, while their backs are turned, until it gets a good dose of flame.

Dang, what a movie that is.  It was incredibly harrowing to watch, for me, back in the 80's (when I was a teenager).  It is a great masterpiece.  It builds slowly, and has periods of tension building punctuated by absolutely horrifying violence and gore.    It ranks up there with Alien, and with Roger Federer's forehand.

The "head-bug-thing" is from The Thing.  The first time I saw that scene was probably the only time I could actually feel my flesh crawl.  I wanted to turn away but I just couldn't.  Now, I think it's one of the all-time greatest gore moments in horror movie history.

I like the scene where Wilford Brimley's character is smashing up the radio room and then the following scene where they elect McCready as their leader.  The movie has a perfect blend of suspense, gore and tension...Plus a great feeling of claustrophobia since there's nowhere to run in Antarctica.  They either kill the monster or it kills them.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 04:15:26 PM »

They either kill the monster or it kills them.

Or they kill each other.   Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »

I give Goji Girl alot of credit, as did Neville, and karma likewise.  You are most definitely entitled to your opinion, but apparently you'll find many 'round here jealously guarding our beloved movies, good or bad.  Dissenting opinions make for real discussion.   Thumbup 

BTW most of us have seen THE THING.   Wink

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Goji_girl
Bad Movie Lover

MEATLOAF! (meet-low-ff)

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 07:14:26 PM »

I've seen the thing when I was about six... mostly with a pillow covering my face but I sat through it. After a while I couldn't help but to laugh. Again, I watched it alone in a trailer and the neighbors kept yelling at eachother... damn those neighbors for making me soil myself! And it was about twelve at night. So yeah, I got nightmares for a week.

Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 07:23:19 PM »

I give Goji Girl alot of credit, as did Neville, and karma likewise.  You are most definitely entitled to your opinion, but apparently you'll find many 'round here jealously guarding our beloved movies, good or bad.  Dissenting opinions make for real discussion.   Thumbup 

BTW most of us have seen THE THING.   Wink

I think because Goji_girl is one of the younger members here (as far as I can tell) she might not know that many others who have seen The Thing, although I'm sure that will change as soon as someone decides to remake it as well.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Amontillado
Dedicated Viewer

John, you know Rosalynn.

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007, 07:46:22 PM »

...to each his own. I can't stand ROCKY HORROR,which for most cult movie fans,is something of a masterpiece....

I hate that movie, too! Phantom of the Paradise was so much better. I also can't stand the Doors, Robert Plant (i.e. not a huge fan of Led Zeppelin), and the Grateful Dead (though that has nothing to do with movies).

Dissent makes this country great!!  Cheers 

If I can build and install a pacemaker in this man\'s chest, I can damn well bouce a microwave off a satellite!
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2007, 08:43:32 PM »

This is just my opinion, I think that the thing should be enjoyed in the proper order

First

The story should be read.

Second

The original movie should be watched.

Third

The remake should be enjoyed

Each is a classic in its own way, my daughter and I found that the original movie with Kenneth Tobey and James Arness to be the most frightening of the three.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2007, 09:18:59 PM »

Great topic, great movie...

To Gojigirl: Yeah, it's weird but worth a look. I'm no fan of gory movies- probably one of the lesser reasons I think most zombie movies are crap- but I felt the gore helped show what the monster was capable of... shapeshifting must hurt like a b***h! No wonder it's always p**sed off.

To RCMerchant: Thanks for posting only my favorite clip of the whole dang film! The suspense, the effects, and Keith David's attitude- an underrated actor, in my opinion. I really felt sorry for Windows at the point he gets a little too close. That Venus flytrap head transformation is a real fX masterpeice.

To DENNIS: I've read the story and seen both movies, and they're all worth it.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2007, 10:06:08 PM »

Goji_Girl, I owe you an apology.  I completely misunderstood the "tone" of your original post.

One thing I find interesting, though, is all this reference to "gore."  THE THING is an intense flick, on many level, but really, there's hardly any blood in it at all.  The creature does some wierd stuff, true.  But in my opinion, the 'gore' in this movie is tame compared to say KILL BILL or any number of gore-fest slasher films made since.

The reaction at the time THE THING was released was that it was so gory, and I wonder if some of that reactionist psychology is driving the reputation.  Bottin made some wonderfully wierd, creepy, over-the-top effects, but are they really what you'd call GORY?

A few gore moments I can think of:  (okay, spoiler warning JUST IN CASE)

The dog'shead ripping open
The alien autopsy, I suppose, but again, compared to things we see nowadays, not really That Bad
Copper's arms being bitten off

When Windows' head got munched, you don't really see much of anything.  It's the THOUGHT of that THING biting someone's head and slinging them around that makes it repellent.  I contend that nowadays (and maybe with the remake) we'd see crushed skull, brains flying everywhere, a headless body twitching and about 17 gallons of blood.

Carpenter commented on the DVD that the audiences reacted very strongly to the close-up of Windows slicing his thumb for the blood test.  Yeah, it's intense, but is that really so much after 20 years of slasher flicks?

THE THING is a masterpiece - easily my favorite movie of all genres.  But gory by today's standards?  I see ALMOST that bad on TV these days.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2007, 12:25:47 AM »

A fair contention...  I guess I didn't use "gore" in its literal sense.  Or you could say I misused the word.

I meant that it was "harrowing."   As in, hard to take, in places.  Tense.  And (especially given how young I was when I saw it) it had that rarest sort of awful-but-still-have-to-watch-it quality that others have commented upon.

There were some gross things in the Kill Bill movies -- parts are just brutal.  But c'mon.  When Beatrix

oh, dang.  Spoilers:

When Beatrix plucks out Elle's remaining eye, and leaves her to die horribly, flailing blindly in the trailer with the black mamba, we all jumped out of our chairs and cheered.   But you don't get that kind of reaction in Carpenter's movie... you feel like you're locked in a camp in Antarctica along with the rest of the humans, whoever those are! 

There are other nasty/gross/bloody effects these days, but for whatever reason (and I lack the film expertise to explain this), the violence in the remake of The Thing had a particular psychological effect (a strong one).
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Thing « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.