Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:20:31 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Skydiving Video and Photos.......(Scott) « previous next »
Poll
Question: Would you like to skydive?
Absolutely - 3 (21.4%)
Maybe - 7 (50%)
No way - 4 (28.6%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Skydiving Video and Photos.......(Scott)  (Read 9978 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 10:06:44 PM »

There is an element of real danger here, but no more than driving down the street. When something goes wrong its much more dramatic if it's an air-distaster of some kind.

There's nothing quite like going out the door of an aircraft that way.

Or hitting the ground like a lawn dart ...

I have many, many jumps and only had to use the reserve shoot once ... additionally the underwear had to be thrown away upon landing. Buggedout

Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 10:03:08 PM »

What is unique about jumping from a airplane is that once you leave the airplane you can't get back into the airplane. Passing through a threshold from which you can't return. Most things that are done on the ground you can usually turn around and go back.

Theres something special about this whole thing. That moment when you leave the aircraft and just being in the air with no obstructions. It just blows your mind away on your first jump.

Soon I'm going back up to make a video and if my wife will let me I'll do more ground training which also involves the 3rd jump. Then a solo jump which is the 4th jump. After 10 jumps you can be a licensed skydiver. For now my wife said I can only do one more jump since I didn't get a video.  Lookingup

The trainers lead interesting lives and usually have around 5,000 or more jumps. They do this everyday.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 09:28:37 PM by Scott » Logged

raj

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2007, 03:09:14 PM »

Who's up for some space diving:

"Sixty miles up, you sit in a chair on the open deck of a small rocket, admiring the stars above, the Earth far, far below. The vacuum beyond your visor is cold, but it would boil your blood if your pressure suit failed. You give your parachute straps a reassuring pat. It’s utterly silent. Just you and your fragile body, hovering alone above the Earth. “Space Diver One, you are go,” crackles a voice in your ear, and you undo your harness and stand up. There’s nothing for it now: You paid a lot of money for this.

You breathe deeply and leap, somersaulting into the void."

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviationspace/3c082d2daa463110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html
Scott

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2007, 06:47:10 PM »

It would be neat to be buried on Mars or in some other solar system. (or even some other dimension)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 09:27:39 PM by Scott » Logged

Scott

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 08:45:41 PM »

Went on my second skydive last evening at about 5 pm.  Was waiting for a clear day with no humidity which is hard to do in New Jersey for some nice video. Tuesday was such a day and after work I drove over and went up again. We went up in a twin engine otter again only this time there where seats and seatbelts this time and a larger group. We were able to see Atlantic City clearly in the distance today.

This time there was much more to remember. Between the Tandem Level 2, Video, and experiencing the jump for a second time I had a lot on my mind. My instructor took me and showed me the below exercises which are practiced on a cable spool in the hanger. It's a lot to take in before this jump, but I don't think they expect you to be able to do it all.

Tandem Level 2

Dive flow:

* Stable Exit and Arch

* Circle of Awareness: heading, altimeter, check jumpmaster for corrections

* 3 Practice Handle Touches

* Check Altimeter, move forward for 5 seconds (positioned with assistance, but I got the idea)

* Check Altimeter, look left, turn left 90 degrees

* Check Altimeter, look right, turn right 90 degrees (after looking back towards the ground from my left turn I got the blast of air which paused my right turn and then the photographer was there and got my attention then 5,500 feet came up quick. Time to pull the chord.)

* Repeat maneuvers until 6000 feet

* At 5,500', begin wave-off and pull sequence. (missed my wave off and pulled chord after my altimeter read 5,500 feet.)

Under Canopy:

* Recognize a good parachute (the 4 "S"s) Square, Straight lines, Slider

(Instructor let me maneuver the paracute left, right, forward acceleration, and slow down which isn't part of Level 2)

* Locate primary and alternate landing areas, and landmarks

* Determine the holding area and landing pattern

They said I did better than average for a 2nd jump and told me next time I come in I can do the 6-Hour AFP Ground School if I wanted to or do the regular Level 3 tandem jump. Pulling the chord is easy. There is a whole lot more than just jumping out of the airplane including freefall maneuvers, guiding the parachute, and locating the landing area. Just getting over the 120 mph air blast and trying to think clearly within 60 seconds of freefall isn't easy and then add to it the video portions. They reviewed the video with me in the hanger and pointed out my errors. Some of which were obvious even to me. I didn't feel I did that well, but I guess it's normal on the 2nd jump.

Next Tandem Level 3 they check to see if they can counter balance your turns to see if your turns are done properly and let you land the parachute.

On your solo jump they give you a radio and they guide you down.

Again they have a great staff and helped me along as I went by myself this time and had a aircraft full of stranger with me and later I got to meet my previous instructors plus a some I haven't worked with.

If I get to do more I'll do the AFP Ground School first then the third tandem jump to do the maneuver sequences better before even trying a solo. It's getting more interesting it's about $1,400 dollars for the 10 jumps and you have to do each withing 30 days to get licensed for your unassisted solo jumps.

I'll see if I can get some video up for you if I can "rip" the video file and upload it on youtube. If not then I'll try to resize my photos and post them somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 08:59:35 PM by Scott » Logged

Scott

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2007, 09:15:23 PM »

Here are a few shots from the past week.

Here's the photo album in the link below. I'll be adding more to the album later.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559754191JjyonJ
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 09:19:15 PM by Scott » Logged

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 08:52:45 PM »

Gee Scott, I didn't know that skydiving lessons required getting so up close and personal with the instructor.  Kind of a Gary and Ace situation going on there. Did the instructor happen to ask  "What's everybody looking at?" BounceGiggle

All kidding aside, looks like fun, but no way in hell I'm doing it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 08:54:40 PM by trekgeezer » Logged

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Scott

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 10:05:23 PM »

Thanks TrekGeezer I never thought I'd get a reply from that last post.

That's what they call tandem jumping. I think they have to do that these days unlike before when they used the zip-line that instantly opened the chute upon leaving the aircraft there is no shock except the initial exit unlike freefall skydiving.

The arching of the body makes you to go face down allowing the parachute to open from the back and the tandem jumping allows you to get use to the 120 mph 60 second freefall from 13,500 ft (2.5 Miles). It takes a while to get your bearings on your first jump. It gets easier on the second jump.

I just want to go back up to perfect the whole thing including landing for a future solo jump.

Thanks for posting TrekGeezer. I thought everyone ran out and went Skydiving.

My instructor is Range from Germany who's been doing this for 27 years and has over 16,500 jumps. The girl doing the video is Ella. Video below.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=nqQ4h1YG--0

My wife Myrna skydives below with tandem instructor Dave Pancake (real name and great guy) and the man doing the video is Monkeylips. You see my daughter Mae and me with my first instructor Peter from Slovakia. This is a nice video of my wife and daughter.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=uK3eNF4KslQ

Added some new photos pages 6 & 7.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559754191JjyonJ
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 02:27:26 PM by Scott » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Skydiving Video and Photos.......(Scott) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.