Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:59:25 AM
714329 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Poll; Best Pantera Studio Album (1990-2000) « previous next »
Poll
Question: Which Is The Best Pantera Studio Album (1990-2000)?
Cowboys From Hell - 4 (33.3%)
Vulgar Display Of Power - 4 (33.3%)
Far Beyond Driven - 3 (25%)
Great Southern Trendkill - 0 (0%)
Reinventing The Steel - 1 (8.3%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Poll; Best Pantera Studio Album (1990-2000)  (Read 6090 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: June 30, 2007, 08:36:42 AM »

Pantera is one of those bands I used to listen to a lot in high school.  I find myself off and on with their music.  Aside their hairband roots, I wanted to see what everyone's favorite album was.  I have to give the nod to Vulgar not only for the music but the title/album cover rules.   Thumbup

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 10:07:24 AM »

It's funny about Pantera...

I've been a hardcore metalhead since the 9th grade in 1988 and I've heard hundreds of metal bands since then.
I do like a few of their songs.

There was always something about Pantera that I didn't like.
Maybe they were "too hard" for me at the time when they were at their peak.  I don't know.

I will tell you that I never cared for their overall "sound".

Don't get me wrong, Dimebag was a great guitarist, but there was always that screechy, squealing sound of Pantera's guitars that always turned me off.

I'll reaffirm that.
It was Pantera's guitar sounds that drove me away.

I should've gotten into their music like all of my friends did.  But I didn't.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 10:11:19 AM by Ash » Logged
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 08:57:05 PM »

I enjoyed a couple of their songs off of their COWBOYS from Hell record back in my thrash/metal period (late 80's-early '90s)...but never really followed any of their other stuff. Oh...reading the thread made m wanna see the video...and I found this!!!!...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxy_R-G5RQc

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Torgo

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 10:12:41 PM »

While their definitive album is most definitely Vulgar Display of Power, my personal all time favorite is Far Beyond Driven.

Talk about brutal stuff for 1994!  Hatred

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 10:24:48 PM »

Ive heard all their albums including the 3 glam-rock albums they did before they went on tour with Exhorder and became Pantera mkII (and basically stole Exhorder's sound, only did it better - but thats another story), and for me the last one Reinventing the Steel has the most kick ass riffs and is far and away their best album. apparently its most fans' least favourite but I dont understand why...

I also still cant believe Dimebag got shot dead onstage.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
DodgingGrunge
Bad Movie Lover

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 02:47:28 AM »

Pantera isn't a terribly dynamic band.  I love them, don't get me wrong, but their repertoire isn't terribly diverse.  I have to vote Vulgar simply because it is the album I pop in most frequently.  But if I was pressed, I'd choose Slayer any day.

++josh;
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 01:46:53 PM »

I don't like or dislike them that sounded like so many other bands of that era.  I can take them or leave them.

Torgo

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 09:12:31 PM »

My only gripe with Pantera is that they really didn't expand their sound at all during their relatively short career. 

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
voltron

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 12:28:33 PM »

I'll have to admit that I enjoyed Cowboys From Hell for a short period of time (a friend gave it to me  when I traded him Bolt Thrower's The IVth Crusade). I think it's the most accessible Pantera album, kind of a cross between thrash and traditional metal sensibilities. But I always felt there was something fishy about the group....they weren't a "true" thrash band (and thrash was well on it's way out by the time Cowboys came out. But as for their other albums.....they descended into a parody band especially come Far Beyond Driven where Phil was too busy bragging about his dick.
They became a "jock metal band" in my opinion and that just ruined it for me.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 12:44:58 PM »

They became a "jock metal band" in my opinion and that just ruined it for me.
This is probably why I didn't grow with the band beyond Vulgar Display of Power.  The first two albums were these bad-ass, strutting tough guy metal albums and I loved them for that, but for the same reason those albums are so good, they attracted this meathead dickweed crowd that used the ferocity of the music as an excuse to beat up on people smaller than themselves at the shows.

The kind of people I saw decked out in everything Pantera were not the sort of people I wanted to associate with.  It reminded me of that pep really in high school when the football team rushed out into the gym and "moshed" while Enter Sandman played.  I knew it was all over at that point.

Snobby sentiments aside, though, Vulgar is one of the landmark metal albums of the 90's.  That period was particularly tough on metal since 90% of hard music bands stopped what they were doing to ape the Seattle sound and hopefully reap the duckets.  It was rare when a metal band actually sounded like a metal band.  It's so raw and loud and empowering.  There are tons of really positive you-can-do-it kinds of lyrics on it.  I love it.  I remember being mocked by my punk friends for buying it and playing it in the car on the way to an Agnostic Front show.  f**king Hostile came on and everyone shut up.  After it was over, one guy in the back said quietly, "That was heavy."

That about sums it up.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Poll; Best Pantera Studio Album (1990-2000) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.