Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:27:45 PM
714160 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Bite the bullet (1975) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bite the bullet (1975)  (Read 3846 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 30, 2007, 11:14:21 AM »

Yeah, I still watch westerns.  TeddyR

"Bite the bullet" is a 70s western, but although it takes into account, as many revisionist westerns do, the so called "end of the west" scenario it is closer to classic westerns than many other westerns of that period. As "The professionals", another Richard Brooks film, it seems to look for a way to incorporate this new vision of westerns without renouncing to the visuals or narrative of the older breed of westerns.

The film is about a horse race that takes place already in the XXth century, a race that extends over 700 miles of bush and desert. Contestants are a mixed bag. We have two aging cowboys (Gene Hackman and James Coburn), a whore looking for better scenarios (Candice Bergen) a spoiled rich kid that wants to be a cowboy (they finally found some role in which Jan-Michael Vincent is good at), a Mexican and an English gentleman.

Pretty much that's it, although there are enough dangers and adventures ahead. It's a great movie, really. Even better than "The professionals". There are a lot of great things to enjoy, such as the Gene Hackman - James Coburn relationship, the score by Alex North or the amazing landscapes. Esentially, I'd say "Bite the bullet" makes a far better movie than "The professionals" because although they explore similar topics everything is far more relaxed here. The plot is minimal, and the outcome of the race is not that important, and therefore the running time (roughly two hours) can be used for character development or by exploring the ties that develop between the different contestants.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 11:57:34 AM »

I, also, still watch westerns (fairly regularly).  In fact, last night I started watching RUN, MAN, RUN, a spaghetti western starring from Blue Underground DVD.  I only saw about the first half hour and I got pulled away.  I hope to finish it this weekend.

I need to get my hands on a copy of BITE THE BULLET.  I tried watching it years ago when it was on HBO or Showtime or one of those movie channels.  I think I attempted to watch it 2 or 3 times and I just couldn't get into it for some reason.  I'm a big Gene Hackman fan and I especially like the movies he made in the late 1960s through the late 1970s (BONNIE & CLYDE; THE FRENCH CONNECTION; PRIME CUT; and THE CONVERSATION, to name a few), so I MUST give this another try.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 01:27:24 PM »

Neville, I saw this one a couple years ago. It's an ok Western till they get to the railroad near the tunnel at the end of the film. Then it gets a bit silly.

Neville

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 01:38:16 PM »

Yeah, well, the film really didn't need that bit of action near the end, but the final scenes compensate for that.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Bite the bullet (1975) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.